RoboCop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

RoboCop Reviews

½ September 8, 2017
A terrible, terrible, terroble take on the original. Quite disappointing. There are several good starts in this movie like Michael Keaton and Sam Jackson, so I am wondering why they chose this mess to appear in.
August 29, 2017
Robocop had a reboot?, I was just fine ending the movie series with Robocop 3, we do not need a reboot.
½ August 27, 2017
I liked it, the greater emotional expanse was good, might come from a more emotional actor. $8.50
August 19, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, it s time for a movie about an Irish policeman: Rob O Cop.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) And in the tradition of Madonna and Prince, he became known simply as RoboCop. That s our story and we re sticking to it.

GREG: It s the year 2028 and America is in a war with Iran. They clean the streets with Omnicorp s mechanized military. But back in America, such drones are illegal. Evil corporate genius Raymond Sellars (Michael Keaton) wants desperately to sell his robot soldier technology to police forces in the US but the Dreyfus Act forbids the use of such tech on the homeland. So, he gets the great idea of putting a live cop inside one of his robots, but finding an appropriately disembodied psychologically ready cop turns out to be harder than he thought.

SCOTT: A Detroit cop named Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman) is horribly maimed by a car bomb outside his home, and Sellars convinces Dr. Norton (Gary Oldman) to fit Alex with a robot exoskeleton. Sellars hope is that the public will feel more comfortable approving of robots with a human face. At first, Murphy is horrified by his new mechanical appearance, but soon he agrees to fight crime as Detroit s first robocop. He s an instant success, but trouble looms with technological glitches and bad guys lurking all around him.

GREG: Scott, this is a remake of the 1987 movie of the same name. And it gets the full treatment. The graphics and animation are impeccable as we witness high speed chases and shootouts with an army of competitor robots. Robocop is a well-made action adventure. Robocop wants to deal with the thorny issue of man versus machine. It offers us Raymond Sellars as a sort of Steve Jobs with no social conscience (he even utters the line, How does somebody know what they want if they haven t even seen it? which Jobs is famous for). Sellars doesn t care about the ethical issues surrounding turning the police force over to machines who cannot feel. In fact, he argues, it s better if the robot cannot feel because it increases reaction times. No fear, no hesitation.

SCOTT: Robocop is derived from a long line of science fiction stories featuring the blending of human flesh with technological implants. We saw it decades ago in The Six Million Dollar Man TV show. The Star Trek franchise ran with it in their creation of the arch villain Borg, as did the Total Recall movies. We see most recently in the Iron Man movie franchise, and now we see it here with Robocop. In some ways Robocop also reminds me of Frankenstein. A freak is created from various parts and then is set loose, only to go out of control and eventually become intent on destroying its maker. But Robocop separates itself from all the modern incarnations of man-machines by emphasizing the humanity of the hero, a feat seen only in the original Frankenstein. Somehow, Murphys human, soulful essence is able to overcome the technological mutilation of his brain.

GREG: Alex Murphy (aka Robocop) stacks up pretty well as a hero. He starts out as a compassionate and caring father to his son and a good husband to his wife. He s a dedicated cop on the trail of a bad guy named Antoine Vallon who is dealing in illegal drugs and guns. But when he gets too close Vallon has Murphy targeted resulting in the car bombing. This attack on Murphy makes us feel sympathy for him. Once inside the Robocop suit, Murphy wrestles with the fact that he s forever trapped as a part man / part machine. We re given a hero with both a sincere pain and eventually a desire for revenge.

SCOTT: I agree, Greg. Alex Murphy is a worthy hero in this movie. He is certainly cast into a dark, dangerous world and must grow to heroic lengths to overcome daunting forces seemingly beyond his control. One complaint I have is that only by invoking mysterious forces is Murphy able to claw his way out of Dr. Norton s programming. It would have been a more effective hero story if we, the audience, were made explicitly privy to how this transformation takes place. Yes, we can say that his humanity rose above his implants, but this very important part of the story needs some fleshing out (pardon the pun). As befitting any good hero tale, there are nice supporting allies for Murphy, too. His wife (Abbie Cornish) and child (John Paul Ruttan) are both supportive yet skeptical about Murphy s new role as a Detroit robocop. His police partner Jack (Michael K. Williams) is a supportive sidekick. Then there is Dr. Norton, who appears to be an ally but we re never really sure until late in the game. Gary Oldman as Norton does a masterful job of straddling the line between hero and villain in this story.

GREG: We re dealt a pair of villains in this story. The first is a classic bad guy: Antoine Vallon. He s a very generic dealer in contraband. There isn t much for us to analyze here. He s just a bad guy for Robocop to attempt to bring down. Only slightly more interesting is Michael Keaton s Sellars character. As I mentioned earlier, he is cut from the same cloth as other corporate geniuses. And like so many other corporate geniuses we see in the movies all he cares about is making a buck. He ll do anything to improve his bottom line. And that includes threatening innocent women and children. Heck, I was expecting him to kick a dog at one point just to show how mean he was. Keaton gives it his best, but Sellars doesn t offer us much to really dislike in this film.

SCOTT: I thought that Keaton did a terrific job in his role as the main villain of this story, Greg. He pursued his greedy quest in a most cunning and ruthless fashion, and he did it with style and pizzazz. I agree that Vallon was a fairly useless cardboard villain, but Norton, the corrupt cops, and police chief were all effective in their villainous roles. Overall, the main thrust of the story is Murphys journey as the robocop, and so I was impressed that Sellars character enjoyed as much development as he did.

GREG: Robocop is a pretty good action/adventure with plenty of chases and gun play. I m sure there will be a video game out soon where we can all live vicariously through Robocop s exploits. For an entertaining and well-crafted 2-hour flick I award Robocop 3 out of 5 Reels. To get a higher rating I would want more character development for Murphy and supporting characters. Alex Murphy / Robocop is a fine example of mythical heroes. He starts out as a virtuous man who dies and is resurrected as a more powerful man. We can all feel his loss, pain, and angst. In the end he exacts his revenge and sets things right. I give Murphy 3 Heroes out of 5. As we ve already agreed Vallon is a stock character and doesn t really warrant a score of his own. Sellars was played well by Keaton but I thought he lacked any development. We re just given a typical Hollywood greedy corporate head with ambitions of more wealth. I give him a score of 3 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Hero: Villain:

SCOTT: I enjoyed Robocop, largely because its human elements and storytelling detail allowed it to rise above its appearance as a mindless action flick. In addition, the film raises a philosophical point about the integration of men and machines, as well as the issue of how far we should go to preserve a human life. I agree with you, Greg, that Murphy was a worthy hero but he wasn t a character with a lot of depth. That limits my rating of the movie to 3 Reels out of 5. Robocop does feature a nicely done hero story. Murphy s journey has many of the classic elements, but as noted above, his character doesn t have the flair or magnetism that I like to see in a hero. For that reason I ll limit my heroes rating to 3 Heroes out of 5. I was impressed by Keaton s performance here, Greg, probably more than you were. Sellars obsession with greed and his manipulation of Norton, of public opinion, and of Murphy were a joy to watch. This is a villain that we love to hate. And we never did discuss Samuel L. Jackson as Pat Novak, a sort-of villain whose extreme viewpoints mixed with disingenuous showmanship made me want to vomit. Any villain who is vomit-worthy is worth 4 Villains out of 5. Movie: Hero: Villain:
July 30, 2017
Solid action movie. Solid remake. Joel Kinnaman gives audiences as much emotional depth as he can. Great performances by Gary Oldman, Abbie Cornish and, of course, the one and only Samuel L. Jackson. Robocop's costume looked amazing. It will not be among the best action films of the year, but it has earned the right to be considered an honorable mention.
½ July 18, 2017
one of the worst remakes (or just in general films) ever made! how could anyone get it so wrong?!!
July 15, 2017
The 1987 Robocop film is a classic movie that shouldn't have been remade. However the remake itself is not terrible which given the state of Hollywood remakes is remarkable.
July 5, 2017
This is another one of those remakes that almost entirely manages to ignore what people liked about the original film and the sad thing is I could copy my review for the remake of Total Recall and it would perfectly fit so I shall. I love the original film so I was disappointed when I saw they were not only remaking the film but were also removing practically everything that made the original great. Yes the special effects mostly look decent and yes the cast is good but the cast isn't used to their fullest thanks to a bland plot and boring script. All the violence, grit and practical effects that were present in the original have been completely washed out which makes the action for the most part come across numb and boring. This film just reinforces the notion that remakes are almost always inferior to the original.
July 4, 2017
Underrated. I watched this one before the original. Sure, it's not groundbreaking, but it looks sleek, the acting was solid, and the satire -- while muted compared to the original -- is still present, especially the reality of America's dehumanizing violence against civilian populations of foreign countries... and even against its own residents. Impresses upon one the truth that a handful of power-hungry Americans -- largely white men (and this is coming from a white man, and I'm not self-hating, but we've got to be honest) -- destroy countless lives abroad and at home.
½ June 26, 2017
What an absolute pile. Zero excitement, zero development, PG-13 cash grab at it's worst. I'd rather watch Robocop - Prime Directives over this any day and that really was bad!
½ June 25, 2017
While the design of Robocop was a bit stale and the story seemed a bit weak, I will give this movie credit because it had pretty good action, and the cast did a good job. It is good, but the original is 10 times better.
½ June 15, 2017
Not sure why this movie has been rated so poorly. I loved it!
at 1st I didn't feel much of the main character, but as the film got deeper I was absorbed.
Great visuals with enough pacey action to you watching.
June 6, 2017
This sanitised RoboCop remake tries hard but in the end lacks any real good reason to exist. Watch the original.
April 28, 2017
I thought this movie was awesome. I love the original robocop, so I had some high expectations, and this movie met most of them. It had great acting and effects, and the action was awesome. It was a little confusing as to who the main villain was, but that didn't really ruin much for me.
April 26, 2017
A surprisingly interesting re-make of the 1987 original.
Ed Neumeier, Michael Miner, Joshua Zetumer & Nick Schenk did a fantastic job in writing up the plot, and I must thank Josť Padilha for keeping me engaged throughout the process of watching this film due to his awesome directing.
Let's not dwell into the negatives. This was indeed a very fantastic, futuristic & enjoyable movie.
½ April 15, 2017
It does offer good pop-corn-sci fi action, and it does have plenty of good ideas, but as an improvement over the original 80's classic it never goes further, falling into the worst deadtrap a remake of such an iconic title could fall into: being average.
½ April 3, 2017
Robocop is the totally unnecessary remake to a sci-fi action classic. Robocop is the story of a police officer who is brutally injured, (In the original he's killed) in a car bombing and is then put into this robotic shell to help stop crime in future Detroit. Just like the original this movie commentates about the idea of man and machine, and how the main character is reconnecting with his human self.
The problem with the remake is that it is soooooooo boring. I never thought I'd say that a movie called Robocop is boring. Even if it is PG-13 there's no excuse for this movie to be such a bland bore. Now I like some of the ideas in this movie don't get me wrong. I actually kind of like the redesign of Robocop except for the one human hand. I also like some of the new robots and weapons they brought into it. The problem is though that there isn't a fun crime solving montage as there was in the first one. Emphasis on fun.
I think Joel Kinnaman is a good actor, but Murphy has the personality of being one of those tough detectives we've seen on soo many cop shows. Now the performances of Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton. But the rest of the performances are not terrible, but not great either. I think Samuel L. Jackson is just cashing in a check for this movie.
The main problem with this movie is the fact that there's approximately zero memorable action sequences. There's a training simulation with is kind of cool, showing Robocop and one of the new robots they created where Robocop is falling behind the new robot because he's part human and is hesitating. I thought that moment was cool, but the rest of it was sooooo boring. And I can't stress that enough. The original Robocop was a hard R rated movie that was a fun action movie on par with Terminator. In that movie he literally shoots a rapist in the dick. It is violent beyond imagination. You can't make this stuff up. I don't hate this remake, I just fell like there were a lot of missed opportunities. For one, you can't make a remake of a hard R sci-fi action movie and not make the new one R. Even if the reasoning is to bring in a broader audience. It's a little insulting to think about. But even PG-13 movies can be fun and have cool action, which is the second thing the remake needs.
I think if the movie is on cable one night it's worth the watch, even renting it once I think it's worth the watch. As I said there's some cool ideas that were created for this movie, but overall the movie is just a bore.
½ April 1, 2017
When it comes to reboots, you can get it wrong, but then you can also get it, so ever completely wrong, and that's what happened here! The studio took everything that was wrong with the original franchise, then put it into this movie and what they gave us one helluva slow dullfest, so boring, almost fell asleep 3 times in the cinema, only to be woken up by something going bang. The characters have no personality, there's almost no action in the entire movie, less than 11 minutes total, the story was everywhere, no violence, nobody died on screen, two moments where you saw the tiniest amount of blood... even the horrid RoboCop 3 had the guts to show people getting peppered with bullets and the shots on the person's body. The designs were average, the effects so-so, mistakes everywhere, even the promotional material, such as the image used for this movie here is bad, he's holding the gun the wrong way round. If it was possible to give negative ratings, this would get the full minus 5 stars!
March 31, 2017
It's a flawed movie, largely because of the conflicts between Padilla and the studio I imagine. I liked the themes. Can robots be better than humans in law enforcement?, and the police state seen in Iran being brought to the US. What does it mean to be human? All themes I liked. The second half is shaky, and it would have been better if Padilla were given control like in the Elite Squad films. Overall an extremely enjoyable film.

Dear fan boys, you're not entitled to anything. This is a good film and the 2nd best in the franchise. It's a less violent take, but a smarter and character driven take on RoboCop
½ March 8, 2017
well written, and the movie makes sense. i dont know why it has a low rating