RoboCop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

RoboCop Reviews

½ April 11, 2018
markedly tackles the moral and practical issues perpetually surrounding the idea of a cyborg law enforcer. it carefully emanates a fresh perception to stimulate - even challenge - the audiences' beliefs at every turn. the cerebral and slick direction is only blotched by a jarring, anticlimactic final act.
½ March 29, 2018
Arguably better than any of its predecessors, this "Robocop" adaptation is not only action packed but it actually makes sense!
½ March 13, 2018
Five steps to make this movie a success:
- Remove the names RoboCop, Alex Murphy, Lewis, OmniCorp and ED-209.
- Change the setting to any other city but Detroit.
- Redesign the costume and ED-209.
- Cut out the cringeworthy attempts to subvert the catchphrases of the original (and that goes for every other remake/reboot/adaptation that thinks it's being clever or funny too).
- Don't try to show a PG-friendly "death" scene. If you have to go PG, then don't show the "death". Cut to the wife's reaction or something.

The film's biggest failing is attempting to pass itself off as a RoboCop film. It isn't. It's the wrong tone, the wrong style, the wrong humour, the wrong actor, the wrong look.

Taken on its own, without the RoboCop connection, this is a good action film about a cyborg cop. It could have been one of the five best action movies of 2014, but sinks beneath the weight of the baggage it's carrying.
½ February 22, 2018
Padilha was not the right choice for this film, granted he has the action but he doesn't have that distinct eye. When I heard the film was being remade I was very sceptical and rightly so. The filmmaker couldn't capture the social satire that other the original had or it made zero attempt to hit the grittiness of a society at war with itself. The original is a world beyond this film and while there is an incredible cast here, it can't rise above a mediocre script. Aronosky was an inspired choice and would have made a film that would have been distinct, sadly Padilha was chosen and the script by Aronofsky was thrown to the side. The film is more teen marketed and just a name recognition to garner interest by the older crowds. The film didn't even need to be called Robocop because it has no real connection to the classic original. Where is the heart? The social commentary? 22/02/2018.
½ February 12, 2018
Not actually a bad movie, but completely changed the focus of the original. This is basically a movie about physical rehabilitation after an accident. That segment of the film takes up the vast majority of the time while the rest of the plot is squeezed into a short section at the end. Kind of strange, but it's actually done fairly well.
February 10, 2018
I loved this take on the film.
February 4, 2018
I need to stick up for this film...this is one of those movies that go beyond mere entertainment. It is an action laced look into the questions of what makes us who we are. Are we more than our bodies? Are we purely emotional beings inside a body? Can who we are exist outside of our bodies? I left the theater so stunned and floored by the deep and thought provoking content. I was mumbling to myself in amazement as i noticed others around me seemed so dissapointed. It's more of a thinking, feeling film stuffed inside an action movie. The action works well to balance the deeper content. Love films like this!!!! I love to think! Also....there is heavy political content that can also be appreciated by a more open minded audience.
January 17, 2018
Im really tough on hollywood remakes. I actually liked this flik a lot.
½ January 5, 2018
Great movie, but it's almost more like Human Revolution than it is like RoboCop 1. I used to play the iPad app constantly. I took off half a star for showing what was left of RoboCop without the suit. That was a horror show, and I sincerely doubt that those were all the organs that survived if he at least lived through his death long enough for them to augment him.
January 2, 2018
Not sure why the tomato meter is 49%; I think this was great movie; it's a fun action movie with a great story. They even go into what life as a full cyborg would be like. Forget about going home to play with the kid after a full day fighting crime; instead, back to the lab to get a regimen of nutrients and antibodies to keep your organic parts working properly. The only campy stuff was the Bill O'riley knock off, and I am pretty sure that was purposefully ironic. But if its not, I'm not downgrading my five stars.
November 21, 2017
(6.5/10)
I've never seen the original, but to me, I think it conveys its themes effectively. The cast is great (although Joel Kinnamon is bland as the lead), the plot was better than it should have been, and the VFX and production was impressive. However, there was something about this reboot that just didn't do it for me. A few things in the movie could have been done better, but nevertheless, it was an okay reboot in its own right.
½ November 15, 2017
Not bad, don't know why score is that low
November 7, 2017
The "Robocop" remake lacks originality. While this Robo-remake was slightly better than most remakes it still lacked something that only the original had.

Every so often Hollywood gets the bright idea to remake classic or original films that should be left alone. Now, don't get me wrong, there have been some remakes in the past that have made a significant improvement from the original. Remakes like: The Fly (1986), 3:10 to Yuma (2007), King Kong (2005), Scarface (1983), Cape Fear (1991) and Oceans Eleven (2001) all stood out from the original. But when there are good remakes, there come bad ones as well. Remakes like: Clash of the Titans (2010), Conan the Barbarian (2011), The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008), Halloween (2007), The Invasion (2007), Planet of the Apes (2001) and Psycho (1998) all were awful remakes and films in general. Back to my point, while Jose Padilha's (Elite Squad) Robo-remake was much better than any of these bad remakes in my opinion, it still did not make a significant improvement over Paul Verhoeven's 1987 original.

The original Robocop was no masterpiece by any means, but it still had that special something from the '80s. Verhoeven packed in themes of gentrification, corruption, authoritarianism, capitalism, revenge, dystopia and ultra-violence. These aspects are what made that film so unique from that time period. The year is 2028, and OmniCorp is at the center of their "robot soldier" technology, when Alex Murphy, (Joel Kinnaman) - a good father and cop in the corrupted Detroit - is critically injured in a car bomb. OmniCorp makes their golden opportunity to create their Robocop, turning Murphy into part man, and mostly part machine. Kinnaman did an OK job as Robocop, but I preferred Peter Weller's performance from the original. Director Padilha lacked Verhoeven's craft and critical/comical satire in the film. The next flaw was the PG-13 rating. This of course was made to boost ticket sales for younger audiences, but the ultra-violence is what made the original stand out. The ultra-violence was a major factor for the original because Verhoeven used it to satire the American culture.

While the special effects were a huge improvement from the original, it still should not be the biggest factor for a film. One noble performance from the film that I should point out was Gary Oldman. He plays scientist Dr. Dennett Norton and does a superb job. Oldman has always been an actor I have admired, so if you do go see this film, go see it for his performance alone. Another thing this film did a decent job on was focusing more on Murphy's family relationship after he turns into Robocop. Sadly, half way through the film the ending became predictable and was totally bland from there on.

Overall, this Robocop had some entertaining aspects (special effects and Oldman's performance), but it also contained negative feedback for the lack of direction, absence of Peter Weller, lack of ultra-violence, the predictable ending and the lack of making it stand out from the original.
½ November 3, 2017
Not great but not terrible. Michael Keaton was the best part of the movie. This was better than the Total Recall remake starring Colin Farrell
October 3, 2017
Though overall unnecessary, this is a surprisingly ambitious remake that adds smart commentary on politics and media and character depth all around but is bogged down by heavy exposition and lack of levity.
September 28, 2017
An adequate action remake, Robocop suffers from its PG-13 rating, general lack of originality, and an overall failure to improve on the original in anyway. The PG-13 rating means they had to change how Murphy died, and a stupid car bomb is just lame in comparison to his original fate. That being said, the cast does a surprisingly good job. Joel Kinnaman is unexpectedly charismatic and relatable as Murphy/Robocop, Jackie Earle Haley is a lot of fun to hate as one of the villains, and Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, and Samuel L. Jackson bring enough talent to help boost this movie to more than a generic action flick. The new, more modern premise is a smart move, although there's not even a hint of the cultural satire that made the original a classic. In the end, this is a well-made popcorn film that is definitely worth watching at least once, even if it couldn't live up to its full potential.
½ September 27, 2017
Yeah, it's alright, but could have been a better storyline.
September 23, 2017
A surprisingly good and ambitious attempt to make a deeper more character centric Robocop movie. Unfortunately, some of the characters are pretty bland and the movie occasionally drags along in an attempt to exchange fun action with human emotion which only occasionally hits its mark.
½ September 8, 2017
A terrible, terrible, terroble take on the original. Quite disappointing. There are several good starts in this movie like Michael Keaton and Sam Jackson, so I am wondering why they chose this mess to appear in.
August 29, 2017
Robocop had a reboot?, I was just fine ending the movie series with Robocop 3, we do not need a reboot.