The Wrecking Crew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wrecking Crew Reviews

October 16, 2016
Absolute must see for music fans.
September 16, 2016
Great music documentary.
½ August 13, 2016
Excellent documentary about the studio musicians responsible for laying down the groove to more hits than any single artist or band in the history of r&b, rock, and soul.
½ August 8, 2016
A strangely interesting documentary with a poignant twist, particularly for fans of the music therein (and who isn't?): As you discover that your favorite entertainers did NOT perform the intricate melodies that we were lead to believe that they did, we also are introduced to those, invisible behind the Wizard's curtain, who did. Dick Clark, greasy middleman of rock, opines that it doesn't matter and yet ... why was the lie told? Must see.
½ August 4, 2016
another terrific music doc...one that embraces repeated viewings...great music and interviews and info...i recall almost ten years ago meeting the filmmaker Danny Tedeseco and his passion was exciting...it took till recently to finish his film due to the hard work and all the people involved and mostly to get the rights to all the terrific music ...a great one for watching closely and for background or while cleaning!
July 22, 2016
A sure delight for musicians, with bajillions of extras. Carol Kaye is great. I am very pleased to discover she's got her own documentary.
June 8, 2016
Great fun. Inside stuff with these great musicians.
June 6, 2016
awesome doc this is a new low 4 flixter 3 entries 4 1 film get it together peeps!
May 9, 2016
Pretty good, although a little disjointed in the narrative, seemed to have many random jumps without finishing a story bit. Lots of cool insider music info, and good interviews with some forgotten greats. Watched on Netflix at home (Josh watched a bit) April 14, 2016.
½ April 6, 2016
Some great insights and anecdotes, and of course music too. Unless this was your era though, it's almost impossible to know who you're watching at any one time, there are so many people and very few on-screen reminders who they are.
April 4, 2016
This is a must see for anyone who loves 60's music. I love watching it and then following it up with Glen Campbell's movie called, "I'll Be Me".
March 30, 2016
Who knew. A must see for every 50-plusser liking music.
March 27, 2016
Fascinating documentary about a group of LA studio session musicians of the 1960s, nicknamed The Wrecking Crew, who played on what seemed like just about every hit record of the day. The film is so interesting because it plays out like a secret history of rock and roll, starring a cast of musicians that no one has ever heard of. I'd always known there were studio musicians who played on various records, but I had no idea how many bands they played for who I'd always assumed played their own instruments. It's no surprise that vocal groups or singers like Frank Sinatra or The Ronnetts would use studio musicians, but it was surprising to find out how many times bands like The Beach Boys, The Byrds, The Mama & the Papas, Herb Alpert, The 5th Dimension, The Marketts, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Baja Marimba Band, Ricky Nelson, Jan & Dean, The Association, Elvis Presley, Harry Nilsson, Sonny & Cher, Simon & Garfunkel, The Ventures, Ray Charles, Captain & Tennille, even the Beatles used them once, and so on and so forth. And that doesn't even touch all of their film and television work. Almost as interesting as this film itself, it the behind the scenes story of getting the film made. The film's director, Denny Tedesco who is the son of one of the crew, began the film years ago, but took years to acquire enough money to buy the rights to all of the music used in the film. Most films have maybe a handful of hit songs, but this film had over ninety #1 hits, which costs a pretty penny to license for use in a film. Through Kickstarters and other means, he was finally able to raise the funds and give the film an official release. Overall, even if your'e not a fan of 60s music (though it helps), this film illuminates the widespread influence a small group of musicians had on the music industry.
March 5, 2016
A great documentary about the studio musicians who played behind all the hits made in Los Angeles in the 1960's. It's an amazing journey!!!!
½ January 30, 2016
It was fun to learn the surprising truth about the musicians behind so many of the songs we grew up with.
January 29, 2016
Such great insight to the old music
½ January 16, 2016
A great compilation of archival footage and current-era interviews shed light on the musicians behind the major bands in the 60's and 70's.
½ January 2, 2016
Cool music. I wish they would just make a Phil Spector wall of sound only doc. Just for me.
December 19, 2015
A fascinating documentary - especially for those who love music - that surprises us as we see that so many of those well-known songs were arranged by a group of people that the public had never heard about, and it is all the more absorbing when showing how hard it can be to have your work recognized in the music industry.