Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father Reviews

August 10, 2017
An ending you never expect....
July 22, 2017
Que terrible y trajica historia. Los fallos del sistema son imperdonables.
July 20, 2017
This is depressing as hell
½ May 24, 2017
4.4/5

Dear Zachary wonderfully entangles its many layers through its documentary style, making the best out of the conflict presented in order to create a compelling and emotional experience only achievable through film.
May 13, 2017
Amazing film about resilience.
May 10, 2017
Sugar sweet and toe curlingly cringey. We learn that Andrew was a lovely lovely man and we learn about Shirley his killer, absolutely nothing.
May 5, 2017
Warning: do not watch this if you are emotional. So sad and tragic. And horrific.
½ May 2, 2017
Not just emotionally moving, but also very well structured and put together. This should be viewed and structurally well understood by anyone attempting to form their own doc as it is one of the best examples I have seen to date.
½ April 20, 2017
Possibly the saddest film I've ever seen...
April 16, 2017
This one of the most emotional and most masterfully edited documentaries ever made! Warning: if you do not want to put yourself in a bad mood, then do not see this movie. The film is truly powerful in the fact that subject material is a story worth being told.
April 1, 2017
Amazing. So amazing and sad and very well done.
March 9, 2017
This was a great documentary that's going to tear your fucking heart art and make you want to punch a wall, cry, or get up and do something. Masterfully crafted and edited for maximum effect. A must see for anyone with a heart.
March 5, 2017
A beautiful documentary. Never watched a documentry that engaged me from start to the end. The best tear-jerker I've seen so far.
½ January 18, 2017
Dear Zachary is the rare true-crime documentary that doesn't sensationalize its shocking story, instead delivering a respectful and genuine film made by a dear old friend of Andrew Bagby.
January 17, 2017
When are we going to start putting criminals in prison? And by criminals, I mean corrupt government officials who get promotions and raises instead of being prosecuted.
December 4, 2016
Outstanding documentary. Only the good die young...
October 16, 2016
Probably one of the most angering films every made, a friend of Dr. Andrew Bagby decides to film what he was like with his friends and family, so that they have a video collection to share with his yet unborn son. The twist, Andrew Bagby was killed by the child's mother, and later gets custody of the child due to the fractured Canadian legal system. Outrage, sadness, change, and tragedy all occur in this brutal and poignant film. Its not an easy film to watch but its very important.
September 30, 2016
If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it. Quit reading about it.
½ June 16, 2016
Heartbreaking, harrowing, and deeply saddening, this documentary paints a portrait of loss, and just how much the loss of that one person can impact everyone around them.
May 11, 2016
Alexis Newberry
May 4, 2016

"Dear Zachary"
My overall impression of this film is that it's a great film. It kept your eyes on the screen it kept you into the movie, there was never a dull moment. The film contained so much detail suspense. I loved that the movie was something that actually happened, all of the characters were actually apart of Andrew's life the mom and dad were really is. It wasn't like a movie that had characters playing their parts it was actual pieces.
The plot of the film was based all around a woman named Shirley Turner and Andrew. Andrew was a man who everyone loved and got along with so well. He was married to a woman, but they got a divorced and Andrew started to date Shirley. Shirley was 40 at the time and Andrew was only 28 which is why everyone questioned their relationship. Andrew lived in Ohio and Shirley lived in Canada. When they broke up Andrew sent her on a plane 13 hours long back to Canada and the next day she was at his doorstep asking for them to talk. Andrew didn't think any harm could have been done and when they went to a park Shirley shot him and killed him. Kurt which is the maker of the film went around interviewing everyone who had known Andrew because they found out Shirley was 4 months pregnant and he wanted to make the film for his son. Shirley keeps getting put into jail, but they release her every time and Andrews parents are so loving they would drive Andrews son (Zachary) to the jail so she could see him. The unexplainable happens at the end of the movie that you can not even place into words.
The people Kurt interviewed were great candidates for the movie. They all personally knew him, so whatever the information was that they knew about Andrew they told Kurt. He interviewed people from cousins all over the world, roommates from college, family friends, colleagues, and just about anyone you can think of. Everyone he interviewed basically covered the sentimental portion of the movie, they gave all of the detail, and all of the action. Some of the information Kurt wasn't even aware of and Andrew and Kurt were friends for over 20 years.
Kurt used one oblivious film technique which was repetition. When something serious was going on he added sound effects that added to the feeling. He definitely made you feel sad like the parents and family members were. When something such as blood was involved he would add a tint of red. It gives you this overwhelming feeling that suspense that made you feel so upset.
The film did a great job at addressing the overall aspect of the story. It made me feel like I knew the story personally. I understood the story and it all made sense. It connected to the real story greatly because it was the real story. It wasn't fake actors it was the real people who were actually in their lives. Kurt did such a good job at this film entirely hands down I think everything was spot on.
The ending to the movie was definitely such an unexpected ending. You can never guess what is going to happen. Everyone that watched the movie as well was very into it. It honestly kept your attention it kept you interested in it. There was never a dull moment in the movie that you thought this is so boring. I would say to go see this movie, it is a good watch.