Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father Reviews

• 6d ago

I have watched this heart wrenching, breath tacking documentary many times over the years. I felt Kathy and David's pain and I commend them for seeking reform for others so no one else will have to go through what they have. Thank you Kurt for letting us see how wonderful this family is. You did an amazing job.

• Nov 24, 2019

John Wick needs to take out all those judges that let that bitch kill that little baby. This made me sick. In fact, anyone this didn't make sick needs help.

• Oct 24, 2019

I don’t want to insult anything about Dear Zachary. This is a film that is so deeply personal that I’m not sure it was intended to be seen by me, so criticizing the editing choices or anything like that feels petty. Sure, I think there are ways it could have been put together that would have made more sense, but that’s like criticizing how someone wrote a personal letter to a friend. And this is a “letter” that was particularly difficult to write, as though Kurt Kuenne’s tears were dripping down on the page as he composed it. This film was built for one particular purpose and even that aspect of it changed eventually, so it’s remarkable that the end product is even coherent, let alone powerful and deeply emotional. Dear Zachary is a beautiful story about a man who impacted countless lives before being murdered, and it’s also a damning indictment of a flawed legal system. The entire movie is a tearjerker, and at least one of the interviews is with a man who can’t even stop crying long enough to answer a question or two. All of these dark events are hard to hear, and could make you depressed or downright angry. I appreciate how Kurt Kuenne slowly doles out the story to us, because it keeps you riveted to your seat waiting to hear what happened next. This structure also allows us to stop listening to the story periodically, in order to see more of Andrew Bagby’s friends and acquaintances lovingly recall his importance in their lives. We are able to slow down and celebrate his life even while we are being told about the circumstances of his death. At the center of it all are Andrew’s parents, David and Kathleen Bagby, who have their entire lives turned upside-down by these events. You can instantly see these are wonderful people, and that makes the emotions of what happened that much more powerful. Dear Zachary is one of those movies that is hard to rate or rank, because there are countless films that I enjoy watching more, but few are as authentic and heartfelt as this one.

• Sep 23, 2019

Dear Zachary is both a touching story about the love and hope felt between friends, families, and strangers who are trying to fight an unjust system, as well as an account of the devastating actions, a psychologically damaged human is able to perform. I would recommend not looking up the trailer or story beforehand, as it would take away from the emotionally hard-hitting experience this film otherwise provides.

• Jun 08, 2019

This should have been an amazing documentary it has everything apart from someone who can edit a film together. The none stop quick editing really takes away from the film

• Apr 20, 2019

a little underwhelming

a little underwhelming

• Mar 18, 2019

So incredibly sad. Definitely a miscarriage of justice! This is probably the best true crime documentary I have ever watched and I have seen TONS of documentaries of this kind! Definitely have tissues ready... itâ(TM)s a tear-jerker.

• Feb 07, 2019

Absolutely heart-wrenching doc pulls no punches; delicate music & acrobatic editing merge to convey the raw emotion, honesty, & passion of distraught but strong parents, family, & friends.

• Dec 15, 2018

A tragic and sad story of the life of Andrew Bagby and the relationship that led to his untimely death. Using stunning home videos and pictures plus actual interviews with everyone involved in his life (family, friends, co-workers). This film is so frustrating as things that seem blatantly obvious are easily neglected re Canadian Justice System. It shines a spotlight on a case that deserves the attention of the whole world.

• Dec 06, 2018