It's Complicated - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's Complicated Reviews

October 13, 2016
It was bad to me even though it had not so big laughs. You have to be over 58 years old to like that movie.
August 1, 2016
I was embarrassed for everyone associated with this film. Just horrific.
July 23, 2016
When all special occassions we have to celebrate something happily. When we are happy being rich in everything. When other things makes us happy when we have technology, other children, a new life, a new city, a new girl friend, and knowing others are happy for us too. When some are unhappy being alone, some other things we are happy about when we have new plans, something to do. When we are happy we know and get along with our children well, we dont always see what others see when they think differently. When others are unhappy about the wait, others don't mind waiting happily. When seeing eye to eye with people is the only thing that makes us happy. When we are happy to do the work for others whom we have a crush on. When we enjoy being happy, and don't like fake and unreal. When it's our profession that makes us only enjoy real, but for others it's upsetting when the results are negative. When the only thing that makes us unhappy is bad news. When we are going through changes and have plans they are not always happy. When we naturally enjoy being happy with others whom enjoy our company too. When we don't like bumping into people we wish not to see when it makes us unhappy, but other things we never try we try hesitantly but happy not knowing what it would bring. When we are happy the way things are, but want to be happier when what we see still makes us unhappy. When we are happy for our children's successes and accomplishments and love to spend time with them. When we are happy do things with others and happy shopping, romancing, and discovering the world. When we can see how others are happy being with one another that makes yearn for the same. When some people are happy to be away from others to be alone or with someone we see eye to eye with. When some stories of the oast makes us happy when they were the good old times. When we naturally are happy with others, have a good time when we can pick eachother up when we are down. When we are happy with other things when we are happy about other things when it comes to sex, graduations, and being proud parents. When we are happy on the outside, as much as we are happy ion the inside. When we are happy hiding our affections, but open more than others. When we don't share the same feelings with others when we are unhappy on the inside, and as much as the entire weekend together was, things going back the way it was makes us unhappy apart. When we have to learn to be happy during upsetting times. When somethings are silly, when it makes us laugh and happy when others do things that way. When we are happy with the way the plans look and how they are going to look. When some things are happy to know others remember. When what makes us unhappy is the way things are and what happened, but what makes us happy is that after so many years we see happiness with eachother and we both still have the touch and able to sweet talk and be great convincers. When we are happy being together when it feels right, but also wrong when we put a label on it. When we are happy someone sees us that way after so many years and rekindling that spark we never thought would return. When what makes us happy is how much of a dog we are, wild and free at our old age that makes life going forward even sweeter when life is too short. When the company we keep are happy as much as we are for being and doing something so wrong but wild and free. When we are happy to be open and liberal, with others when the benefits are positive. When we are happy when we are getting energized by it. When we are happy when things are going our way, with the right people whom are envisioning what we like and want. When we enjoy others company, when they make us happy doing things for us. When we are unhappy with somethings when we are lost in translation, not young and hip as others. When we are genuinely happy with others whom makes us happy, laugh and are genuinely sweet. When we enjoy others whom are naturally open about life's ups and downs with to know life is not that great, but what the heck, we are happy being with eachother to care less. When we are happy when we are the boss and have a great worker. When we are happy having a great boss. When we are happy fulfilling the boss role when others leave. When we are unhappy being the subordinate to others. When we are happy minimalizing others but not all. When not all things are happy, when we are presented as a better choice than others. When we are happy prying in others life to what they don't see. When we are unsure, conflicted that makes us unhappy that we need a second opinion from a shrink. When the thought of us being a big happy family is what separates us apart all over again. When others whom give us a second opinion see eye to eye with us that only brings her back to them more and more. When the thought of those two together is happy for others but unhappy for some. When what makes us happy, and feel good isn't always good for us when we take pills with it. When we are happy at the thought of others happiness when we don't know and it's harmless. When we are happy with what we knew all along when what we lived with all these years we naturally adapted to and learned their ways. When what makes unhappy is that we still haven't found true love. When what we don't know, what we postpone or set aside we are unhappy doing so to others. When we are happy choosing others over some people we are happy. When we were happy to get tickets for someone to spend time with them, we don't see anyone else we see happy enough to go with, but happy to give it to those whom would appreciate it more than we do. When what makes us unhappy is not spending time with those we ought to be when we are supposed to be moving forward with them. When we can see how happy others are with some people we don't mind, like our children rather then our subordinates. When we naturally yearn for love that makes us happy. When some things we are happy with, we are are high when we smoke pot. When what makes us happy, is someone whom brings out the fun and young adult in us, to see eye to eye how much we have in common. When we are happy with a new change, and can vision a future with some people rather than others to always make us happy with what we are missing out on. When we are happy on the inside, as much on the outside when we mix a good time with weed. When we are happy that others are happy with whom we are with. When we are happy that others are really completely ridiculous, to know we hate them and unhappy with them in our lives. When we are happy weed can bring everyone together to mix. When others are unhappy, not intoxicated and can see clearly when they are young and looking to start their life of memories, happiness, and family with others but they been there done that to notice. When we are happy that we work well with others and see eye to eye with them, ready to pick us up when we are down. When what we do, we are happy with when we are not guilted on our actions like others that makes living even more livable. When we hit a dead end and stuck in a ditch to abandon ship knowing we are unhappy and guilted by our actions to continue. When we are unhappy with the terrible decision we had made long ago, to realize we had it good with someone. When being together again as a family, makes us happy but the decision long ago hurt everyone that made moving forward difficult that we can't allow. When being good parents means setting good examples to know how to raise children allows allows happy family. When what makes us unhappy is our pains or those whom says no. When we say yes for the children sake but no when they are not part of it. We are happy with what we got. When some stories are more unhappy with you two together, when happy stories were about you two only. When we choose to remain in contact with someone we are happy with, from a distance when we don't care about the touch, feeling and sex when someone can just accept us for whom we have become to move forward with happily ever after. When what makes us happy is not those whom we have made unhappily, but ashamed. When it's best we are much more appreciated from afar, when we are seen as a unhappy reminder of bad times. When what makes us so happy, liberal and free is that we done a good job on something to look forward to other things, when kids are all together and happy with one another and in laws too. When starting new, moving forward we also make others unhappy. When what we do is not shameful but wrong that we cannot continue when we have no regrets. When others continue on on somethings but not the other.
June 22, 2016
Really funny. One of my favorite movies in a long time. OMG!!! I nearly died laughing a few times.
May 17, 2016
oh well.... I had some time to waste
April 30, 2016
Fan of Nancy Meyers. I always get laughs and connect with her stories. This is no different. Yes it has some predictable moments but great cast with great chemistry. Meryl Streep is of course great. Love John Krasinski & he was awesome in this. He had more scenes than I thought he would so that made me happy haha. Seriously Meryl's house in this movie is literally my dream house haha. I watch this often :)
½ April 8, 2016
Take 3 big but not so big Hollywood stars of the past 20 years and put them in very funny and romantic complicated situation and we have Sophie's Choice all over again. Meryl Streep combines her roles from Sophie's Choice and Mamma Mia and puts them into a civilised and happily divorced woman that shows a lot of Woman Power and Independence, she was very much happy until her married cheating Ex-Husband comes on the scene and try's to win her back and will stop at nothing but with Steve Martin's character comes on the scene, it's when things get complicated, Steve is Mr Perfect but she still loves her ex-husband even thought he's a cheat and still married. Funny, sweet and then some. A perfect cast in the perfect synario.
March 25, 2016
Probably one of my least favorite Meyers movies. It started off good with the first 50 minutes then it lost my interest. Baldwin's character came off creepy as he tried to play was sexy yet sauve ex-husband. Yuck. Then I think the movie just dragged on too long. Should have been an 1 hour 30 instead of 2 hours.
January 28, 2016
Cheesy comedy, but great performance from Streep as usual!
January 9, 2016
I feel like this film was written by middle aged women going through their midlife crisis, as it offers very little in the way of happiness or positivity, and instead focuses on stereotyping men to be adulterous pigs and low life's. Still, if you watch it with a neutral hat on, it has its moments of comedy. With three very well known stars playing the leads, this film has probably been made more successful than it really should of, as it takes us through the story of two divorcees who begin an affair ten years after their original split. Streep is then torn on whether to continue the fun and reinvented sex life with Baldwin or whether to revert to her new, more sensible love interest with Martin. It's not exactly the usual complex role we see Meryl performing, as this is relatively tame in comparison but having had the successes she's had with films, she generally tends to have the Midas touch with anything she signs up to. This will be seen as pure gold to women of a certain age, but for the rest of us, it's just another mildly amusing American comedy. You can take it or leave it really - I took it, but I'm happy to leave it for a while now before watching again (if I ever do)!
January 3, 2016
Great stoner scene in this movie... Along with some great, great comedy.
½ January 3, 2016
The only thing redeeming about this movie is the cast that somehow makes this script nearly bearable. Except for John Krasinski--that was just an abortion.
September 30, 2015
Flat. I expect more from Meyers but she seems to be all out of ideas here. Still, everyone is loaded so at least the surroundings are appealing :)
September 14, 2015
Totally enjoyable. All divorced couples should get along so nicely. I liked that in the end it wasn't all tied up in a return to the past. Change can be good. Meryl Streep, as always, was exquisite. She played well off Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.
½ September 5, 2015
even though I have this strange hatred towards Meryl Streep this was actually pretty funny. But a little bit girly. John Krasinski, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin are hilarious as always
July 7, 2015
Sometimes it's hard to find a funny movie that isn't cheesy, but this movie happens to be one of the funniest films I have ever watched, and it's hardly cheesy at all. It's also very realistic in my opinion, although Alec Baldwin is his usual humorous self, and Meryl plays a woman going through a bit of a mid-life crisis, I personally took away many different messages from this movie that were very relevant to real life. You could be married, divorced, young, or old, and this movie will still teach you a little bit about life, love, and family. The only thing I might say about this movie that I didn't like was the ending. I would have liked to know a little bit more about what happens, and how all of the characters get along with one another from that point on. Either way, like I said, it's funny, yet realistic, and you may be surprised at what this film has to offer.
½ May 16, 2015
We've seen this before a million times. Yes, it is Meryl Streep AND Alec Baldwin AND Steve Martin, who do a typically tremendous job with their acting and comic timing, but this isn't original and rather predictably trudges through to the end.
May 4, 2015
meryl streep mucking around. perfectly lame :)
May 2, 2015
Nancy Meyers (Something's Gotta Give) has made a franchise out of movies about middle aged women who find romance. In this movie Meryl Streep lives in a huge house in Santa Barbara and owns a pastry shop. It is a credit to Streep's strength as an actor that she can make this arrangement seem like something that could actually happen IRL. There are some feel-good moments in this movie about having an affair with your ex-husband but this movie is not as fresh as it could be.
½ April 24, 2015
The acting: two of the three "top billing" stars gave fine performances. The 'children' however were cringe worthy at the best of times... Even Alec, I'm sad to say, hammed it up a little too much for my liking. Borderline corny at times.

Overall personal opinion: The movie held onto to enough reality to make it somewhat believable. There were some genuinely funny moments, unfortunately the strive to be 'funny' seemed to overshadow the moments that should've/could've been touching or somewhere near poignant.

Meryl's confused divorcee character was charming and likable. It was easy to empathize with Steve as the wounded, recently divorced, Adam.

Having enjoyed Nancy Meyer's previous work, especially Something's Gotta Give, It's Complicated unfortunately flails in comparison. While it's witty, believable and again focuses on romance found later life, it only scratched the surface of the issues at play. Perhaps for a comedy, the issues presented here are indeed too complicated. Overall, an enjoyable viewing experience and a worthwhile romantic comedy.