The Debt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Debt Reviews

½ July 21, 2017
The older you are the more you will enjoy this movie. Over 50 is preferable.
½ July 3, 2017
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, After a gripping first half, turns into one howler after another. And yet it's still gripping.
½ June 18, 2017
In 1965, young Mossad agent Rachel Singer (Jessica Chastain) and two comrades (Sam Worthington, Marton Csokas) are involved in a secret mission to capture a Nazi war criminal known as the Surgeon of Birkenau (Jesper Christensen). The mission ends with the man's death on the streets of East Berlin. Thirty years later, a man claiming to be the doctor has appeared, and Rachel (Helen Mirren), haunted by memories of past events, must return to Eastern Europe to uncover the truth.
March 4, 2017
it was an ok spy thriller
July 19, 2016
A little confusing to distinguish between the younger characters and their older counterparts, but other than that this is a fine remake.
June 9, 2016
Good concept. Definitely different from average espionage thriller but the lack of action makes this movie a bore, especially at the beginning. The plot twist in the end made this movie more memorable.
½ May 3, 2016
Not a fan of stories told in flashback, which puts this movie at a disadvantage from the beginning. However, the device works here for the most part. Much of that had to do with Jessica Chastain playing the lead role in the past, making long to stay in that part of the movie and see it all without switching to today. Oh, well. You can't have everything. Decent drama with an excellent cast.
½ March 2, 2016
Powerful performances from both our leading ladies playing young (Jessica Chastain) and older (wonderful Helen Mirren) versions of the same character. They play Rachel Singer a CIA agent whose now glorified past mission of bringing a hidden Natzi to justice is coming under scrutiny she and her old operatives must struggle with the truth of a past debt. Marvelous direction and a great and capable cast of young and veteran actors including Sam Worthington, Martin Csoskas, Tom Wilkinson, and Ciri├├,┬ín Hinds. Albeit these actors were strangly casted as the older versions don't necessarily match their younger counterparts perfectly but this can be easily looked over since as I said performances are well done across the board. The debt offers a thrilling intense spy novelesque story that's a must see for all adult filmgoers.
½ February 13, 2016
Film about the mossad, so rightly named (maussade). The mossad was an israelian murder squad to avenge victims of the second world war, I believe. This film is about a flawed operation and uses some of the psychology from both sides. Not all that credible but the film gives us a spy-style ride at times. Not to be taken too seriously. Bloody fun ending. No Bruce Willis?
½ February 13, 2016
January 24, 2016
Vegence came at such a price. Was it actually that sweet...
½ January 2, 2016
In many ways comparable to Spielberg's Munich, though more melodramatic and complex. This interesting story about Mossad makes you ponder over the Israeli hegemony.
December 28, 2015
A good spy thriller jumping back and forth over 30 years. Don't want to give too much away if you haven't seen it. Both Helen Mirren and Jessica Chastain are very good in the older and younger versions of Rachel.
½ December 13, 2015
The Debt was a gripping tale of espionage and morality, but the casting choices were confusing and the ending wasn't very believable.
December 1, 2015
It got mixed reviews, and has been compared unfavourably with the Israeli original. As a thriller it's good - pacy and scary, and with a challenging scenario. Much of the criticism seems to have been around the moving of focus away from Nazi war crimes and toward the expediency and hypocrisy of the Mossad hit squad. Actually it's a good pacy thriller - characterisation is great and the corrosive nature of a lie on people's lives is well illustrated. It may be Hollywood, but it's Hollywood with Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson in strong central roles.
½ November 25, 2015
I thought Helen Mirren was great. I really enjoyed this film. A nail biting suspense action spy drama with a focus on the interpersonal relationships of these three people. Loved it.
September 14, 2015
A solid historical revenge thriller to get payback on a surgeon who killed thousands during the time of the Nazis. The cast provide good roles and I kove Chastain and Worthingtons characters. I wasn't a fan of the third act though. Thought it fell off a bit, but it was still an entertaining watch.
½ August 3, 2015
The Debt is an overrated film that delivers surprisingly few thrills for a thriller
½ June 12, 2015
There's much suspense to rate this as a top on that category but, the story contradicts it's main aliments by sub aliments very often.
March 28, 2015
I was dragged through the twists and turns, between truth and deceit. 'The Debt' is honestly smart and thrilling.