Howl Reviews

• Feb 15, 2021

This is one of my all time favorite films. It's very artsy, inspiring and crudely entertaining at times. Also, this is a must watch if you love poetry or writing <3

• May 18, 2020

I went with 2 stars for this movie, I only seen it once. Idk if I would watch it again the animation throughout the movie was distracting to me throughout the movie. I liked the parts of his private life/poetry readings. The courtroom part was interesting I do believe that a person with little to no interest in poems/poetry the author and his work will really get this movie or hold their interest. The movie though slow and at times boring you can keep interest throughout. I think that James Franco did a good job in this role, it was also interesting to me to learn more about the poem Howl and who the poet himself was, 2 stars.

• May 20, 2019

great film . enough said

great film . enough said

• Nov 15, 2016

I didn't like the animated segments and Franco's performance is a little iffy to me (that voice!), but there is real beauty here, too. I've always thought a lot of the Beat writing (maybe especially Howl) boils down to a buncha dudes trying to fuck Neal Cassady, but I actually cried at the Holy Holy Holy bit at the end.

• Sep 04, 2016

Oh Victory, forget your underwear, we are free

Oh Victory, forget your underwear, we are free

• Mar 10, 2016

The bar-raised experimental structure of Ginsberg's "Howl" poem is quite exquisite and proves itself to be essential to the English Lit department when exploring the poem line-by-line, while juxtaposed and synced with the biopic element, thus putting some depth to the poem despite some unappealing visuals. Franco's performance as the poet matches the aura of Jamie Foxx's performance in "Ray". (B) (Full review coming soon)

• Jan 14, 2016

A concise story of the life and controversies of Allen Ginsberg, portrayed through animation, faux interviews and court room recreation. The picture certainly has energy but it is also at times annoying especially with Franco's nasal voiceover.

• Jan 03, 2016

The animated segments are a visual disaster. Franco is a pretty good Ginsberg. The movie both romanticises the context and doesn't. To be honest it could have been an hour and a half of poking around the set design of Ginsberg's apartment and I would have been more satisfied.

• Aug 09, 2015

A mix of autobiography, court drama, and creative animation that visualizes the beautiful and gentle work of Ginsberg. Although he's not in every scene of the film, James Franco gives a terrific performance as Allen Ginsberg, embodying the intelligence, humor, and burning feelings of the Beat poet. The film is also about the freedom of speech and press, and shows the effects his work brought to the society. I found the court drama sequences riveting and some of the performances were quite fun to watch (refreshing to see Jon Hamm playing a good guy). I liked Epstein and Friedman's direction, beautiful black-and-white cinematography, and the animated adaptation of 'Howl and Other Poems'. This is not a movie for everyone, but if you are interested in literature and Ginsberg's life, give it a shot. Howl is a well-done experimental film, and I really enjoyed it.

• Aug 04, 2015

Focusing on Alan Ginsberg's seminal poem "Howl". An interesting break down of the poem itself by James Franco. A look at the Beat Generation and societies attempt to silence that generation through Obscenity Laws. The 1950's, a real battleground period of free speech. From Joseph McCarty through the Anti-Rock and Roll rhetoric to this. What an uptight generation the 1950's were. I can't believe we want to go back.