Remember Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Remember Me Reviews

November 13, 2016
Boring film, stupid ending
½ August 26, 2016
"Remember Me" has good performances and manages to be enjoyable despite its questionably unnecessary twist at the end.
April 9, 2016
Well, as a writer myself I just had to put in my two cents worth about this movie. The story, up until the final three minutes has a great indie coming of age feel. The acting was superb and the conflicts were believable-again until the final three minutes. What made this movie's ending so horrible and shameless is a simple literary "no no" that all writers should understand, This simple abomination is termed a deus ex machina, a coincidence or, more commonly called cheating.
½ March 28, 2016
I know it's overly dramatic and doesn't really flow at all...but for some reason I still like it.
March 25, 2016
Wow! Twisted ending. Excellent movie!
½ March 13, 2016
I made this account to voice my opinion on how bad this movie is.
½ March 10, 2016
Robert Pattinson in the cast list is quite the turn-off (I am the anti-Twihard), but this got good reviews... and I tend to like tragic movies... so... I'd rent it.
February 28, 2016
After weeks of wading laboriously through Oscar hopefuls, a good light-hearted girls-night-out to a bad B-grade tear-jerker seemed well in order. With two premiering this week it can be difficult to choose, however when it comes to Dear John and Remember Me one stone is enough to kill both birds.

Dear John

Adapted from yet another of Nicholas Sparks best selling romance novels (The Notebook, Message in a Bottle), Dear John is a softly focused and overly sentimental modern Romeo and Juliet post September 11.

Serving as the old-fashioned American archetype of the strong silent type, Ex-model turned actor Channing Tatum pulls off the broody but endearing lead. Contrasting highly with young Kate Winslet-esque Amanda Seyfried who plays Tatum's slightly holier-than-thow but likeable love interest.

Home on leave; Special Forces Green Beret John Tyree (Tatum) stays with his emotionally disconnected obsessive coin-collecting father (Richard Jenkins), when he meets down-to-earth college student Savannah Curtis (Seyfried).

Embracing the highly closed off John, Savannah welcomes him into her happy and calm way of life; doing charity work, riding horses and explaining the reasons behind her aspirations to open a ranch for autistic children, like her six year old neighbour Alan (Braeden Reed). Savannah also helps John to understand and tolerate his hermit father's peculiar ways.

As their two week whirlwind courtship comes to an end, Savannah returns to school and vows to write John as much as possible whilst he serves the last year on his tour of duty.

Their brief separation seems to be an easy and endearing situation until the intervention of the events of 911 and John's once short term commitment becomes and indefinite division.

Will Savannah accept John's decision to reenlist? Will Savannah wait for his return? Can John survive in battle if Savannah refuses?

Remember Me

A contextually flimsy and unstructured love story come dreary family melodrama, Remember Me's morose tone, sluggish pacing and overly weighted in significance script is bittersweet in this less than affecting movie.

In need of an immediate acting intervention, Twilight's teen-heartthrob Robert Pattison channels the dramatic likes of James Dean and Marlon Brando as he attempts to turn his dreamy soulful eyes, into a soulful performance.

Since the unprovoked suicide of his older brother, NYC college student Tyler Hawkins (Robert Pattinson) has had family issues. Tyler's turbulent relationship with his arrogant and insensitive power-attorney father (Pierce Brosnan) differs greatly with his wonderfully adoring relationship with his younger and giftedly artistic sister Caroline (Ruby Jerins).

After yet another family tiff, Tyler enjoys a night out drinking and venting with flatmate and friend Aidan (Tait Ellington), but becomes involved in a back street altercation. Unjustly beaten and incarcerated overnight by the attending policeman Neil Craig (Chris Cooper), the boys vow to find a way to get back at him.

Still bearing the bruises, Aidan spots Craig dropping off his daughter Ally (Emilie de Ravin) at the same school. Aidan convinces Tyler to charm Ally in hopes of beginning a relationship and then exacting their revenge. However, as their mirroring family issues and a need for love intensifies their relationship, a true bond is formed and a real relationship blossoms.

Will Ally find out the reason behind Tyler's initial attraction? Can Tyler and his father ever mend their broken relationship? Is there something greater at work in this plot?

The Verdict: Sadly neither of these films had a great impact. Dear John had promise but the longing looks, lingering kisses and continual character separation saw the movie loose energy; Remember Me with its clumsy scene changes and labouring subtext lacked the heartfelt anchor required for an affecting film.

As one film ends with nothing more than a footnote and the other with a winding sucker punch, each of these romantic drama's offer something unique, however neither fully manage to evoke true emotion.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 19/03/2010
February 3, 2016
Celle-la, je l'ai pas vu venir... Magnifique fin qui donne tout un autre sens a ce film.
January 30, 2016
Riveting tale that surprisingly recalls an ill-fated time of American history.
"Tyler: If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched."
½ January 30, 2016
A touching story in the end.
January 28, 2016
Robert Pattinson plays a cute and tortured man who wanna have a different life than his father, that makes him a loveable man. The rest is turning around him. I must say that the end wasn't appropriate with my all-movie-must-end-happily philosophy!
January 7, 2016
Robert Pattinson is more of a poser than an actor, playing an uncharismatic rebel without a cause in this schmaltzy little romance, a movie so embarrassing and shameless that it even dares to come up with a hugely offensive and exploitative final twist.
December 3, 2015
The video game was better than this crap.
November 25, 2015
Robert Pattinson definitely delivers his part as well as can be expected for a less-than-impressive, scattered script. Brooding, moody and somewhat "lost", Tyler Hawkins finally finds real love with Ally, which of course had me smiling and cheering (being the huge Robert P. fan that I am), but there were a lot of unanswered questions throughout the film which caused me some confusion AND that ending should have landed on the cutting room floor! Shameless and unexpected, it definitely left me feeling unsettled. If you're a Robert Pattinson fan, this is a must see. Just be prepared that it is NOT Twilight, or even Twilight-esque.
½ November 22, 2015
Here's my message to the idiot who came up with the ending to this movie...

You are a freaking ass-hole for using 9/11 has a cheap tearjerker ending that comes out of nowhere and doesn't fit at all. Did the person honestly think this was appropriate to put at the end? The rest of the movie was alright until the ending happened. F**k this movie.
½ November 14, 2015
2015-11-14 well acted but a little hard to understand some of the acting-out (like the vandalism at Caroline's school). ending seemed a little contrived.
November 2, 2015
This is one of those films that my sister wanted to watch and I didn't because I heard about the twist ending and just don't really care about wanting to watch it. So I watched it to waste some time, and it was surprisingly not bad at all. Robert Pattison is surprisingly really good and it shows that only Twilight can make anyone act bad. Emile de Ravin is great in it and I've never heard of this actress until now. The characters are generic however, and the plot is like other romance movies that are much better than this. The chemistry between the two leads is entertaining and they give off some laughs. The writing is fine, just not that inspiring, and that twist ending, let's get to that now. Why was that twist needed? That twist basically resolves things that were a problem in the most melodramatic way possible because of that event. It just has nothing to do with the movie at all and made it seem a bit dirty to the film. It didn't ruined the film as I was interested in what's going to happen, even if it has been done before, and I can tell that Remember Me has a bit of a heart in it that is trying to be a good movie, and it is even though it has some major problems.
September 12, 2015
Loved it but ripped my heart in two. Definitely a must see though.