The Blind Side - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blind Side Reviews

January 17, 2017
My expectations were low for The Blind Side, a film whose trailer rubbed me the wrong way. I'm all for inspirational films, but this one looked like an overcooked, manipulative tearjerker with Sandra Bullock stepping way outside of her comfort zone to play a Good Samaritan Southern Belle who helps a struggling black teen with a painful past. I was afraid the film would exploit or gloss over the true pains of African-Americans struggling to escape the projects. I was afraid Sandra Bullock, whose forte is romantic comedies, would annoy with an attempt at a Southern accent. I was afraid that the power of this true story would be lost in hackneyed and trite filmmaking.

My fears were unfounded, and one cannot, it appears, judge a film by its trailer. This is one of the best mainstream films about Christians I've ever seen, possessing charm, integrity, and honesty in spades. Bullock's stab at a Southern accent, while dubious in a two-minute trailer, is actually quite convincing when viewed in the complete film. She truly loses herself in the role, and much to my surprise, I'd like to see her win an Oscar for her tough-love portrayal of a woman whose cannot help but help others. Country-music superstar Tim McGraw, as her husband, proves himself a capable actor, Granted, he doesn't have to do any heavy emotional lifting in the film, but his ability to deliver lines of dry humor was an unexpected delight. Newcomer Quinton Aaron, as the young man helped by Bullock's family, conveys a great deal of pain, sorrow, and joy with his eyes.
January 16, 2017
I'm going to go see this Friday afternoon then go see New Moon
January 9, 2017
This is a great movie it is sad and funny
½ January 7, 2017
Excellent. Great film, one of the best sports films ever made.
January 6, 2017
Just like with "The Help"; this is a movie that makes you shed tears just as easily as it makes you smile/chuckle & is ultimately something very special. It holds a powerful message that is seriously needed in this judgemental/hateful society we live in & the fact it's based off a true story really touches the heart. Brilliant casting but Sandra really took it home. Bravo!
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 11, 2016
A feel-good film about charity and rebuilding life with strong true characters and rocking performances to hold them up, but little escalation in the plot.
December 6, 2016
In the movie the blind side which is part football movie and part Precious with a happy ending, John Lee Hancock's "The Blind Side" is a heart-tugger that once again proves that sometimes truth is stranger than reality. Although still sporting the same Sandra Bullock redeems herself after the dreadful beautifully played by Leigh Anne Tuohy, a Steel Magnolia in Memphis who takes a troubled black teenager named Michael Oher into her very white family's McMansion. Leigh Anne's husband Sean remarks later on the couple's prejudices, "we would have a black son before we knew a Democrat? "There aren't that many one-liners in "The Blind Side," which is basically a true rarity: a fish-out-of-water drama about race relations centering on Michael, who, like the heroine of "Precious," is large, African-American, abused and functionally illiterate. Michael is on the verge of flunking out of a lily-white Christian academy when Leigh Anne - seeing him running around in shorts and a T-shirt during the dead of winter decides to make him an improbable member of her family. The Tuohy's young son is on board with the idea, although his older sister resists at first. The reaction from Leigh Anne's friends is more pointed. "Is this a white guilt thing?" one friend asks her. In fact, the well-to-do Tuohy's, who describe themselves as rednecks, are no liberals - but they take Christian principles seriously. They do meet that Democrat, a liberal tutor hired to help Michael improve his grades enough that he can try out for the school's football team, Michael Oher became a star for the University of Mississippi and was drafted by the NFL's Baltimore Ravens this year. What makes "The Blind Side" a great movie is that Sandra bullock is portraying that no matter what the color of the skin is that someone can get very far in life with support and love from the people around them and not giving up and when you have a dream never give up on it no matter how hard it gets.
December 4, 2016
The blind side was an amazing uplifting movie to have watched. Reminding people that its good to give others a chance to show them they are more than just what they see. Allowing for a new type of family to be shown in a movie speaks to a change in time and shows that love doesn't come in any shape or size. The blind side represents family ties and adding and changing stereotypes that once took over every ones mind set. Bringing together people who would have never got together on their own allowed for learning for different perspectives to come from each side and make each person better.
November 24, 2016
A patronizing drama that uses a manipulative narrative structure to make you buy its disgusting message that for a black young kid such as Big Mike to succeed in life, he should follow closely what he is told by his "white Republican saviors," for only they know what is best.
November 14, 2016
You're going to be crying by the end.
October 19, 2016
Really good. Sandra Bullock was really good in this movie. Totally Oscar worthy performance.
½ September 29, 2016
Despite the fact it almost feels like 'Oscar bait,' it's strong performances make it sentimental and encouraging.
½ September 17, 2016
Driven with courage and motivation, The Blind Side features a respectful adaptation of one of the greatest stories ever told, composed with the bright performances from Sandra Bullock and newcomer Quenton Aaron.
September 3, 2016
A heart-warming tale of overcoming the odds and the human family.
½ September 1, 2016
a movie to make white people feel good, where the person the story is supposed to be about, is given no screen time to tell it himself. Very racist in a "subtle way", but of you look a little closer, it's really not too subtle at all
½ August 26, 2016
Super good story and gotta love characters
½ July 17, 2016
Feel good movie with a completely predictable plot. Sandra Bullock's acting and nice family scenes carry the movie.

Watched again in Jun 2016 and same view!
June 26, 2016
Best movie ever!!! Even though i cry every time i see it, this movie will always be my favorite and i love the book too! ( even though im still reading the book. )
½ June 10, 2016
Regardless of how you feel about the film's unintentional insinuations on race, there's no denying the inspiring nature of the unbelievably true story depicted in John Lee Hancock's "The Blind Side." It's a film that overcomes its occasional slow-pacing and made-for-TV-esque presentation with honest pathos and a powerhouse adhesive of a performance from Sandra Bullock. Like the film's soft-spoken left tackle protagonist, "The Blind Side" is a film that comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lamb - but it sure is a lamb with a big heart.