The Blind Side - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blind Side Reviews

March 26, 2017
A good sports movie about about football some sports movies are fun to see and this is one of theme!
March 20, 2017
Very great and realistic movie
½ March 18, 2017
What an inspirational and uplifting film! Sandra Bullock was average though.
March 10, 2017
The worst kind of film-making. The corny feeling of this movie drives me crazy. I hate it so much. Sandra Bullock is not a good dramatic actress. Please stop making these movies.
March 6, 2017
Wait. Only 66% Way too low!! This is one of my favorite movie, and it is according to a true story. I will give a 5 STARS
February 19, 2017
Liked it. They made some parts too cheesy. And I despise the Ravens as a Steeper fan lol. But I still give it a decent rating. if you like football or not...
February 16, 2017
If you love inspirational plot lines, small but important twists, innocent humor and elements of racial prejudice, then this is the film for you. However, if you do not tolerate small amounts of tasteful violence, are a young child, or just don't have much of a heart, then this movie probably isn't your cup of tea. So my opinion of this film is that it's a perfect balance of happy and serious to make for a remarkable re-enactment of a true story.

Sandra Bullock shows a whole new side to her acting abilities with her spot on southern accent, and heartwarming punctuality. Behind her at first seemingly hard and cold front, you quickly come to realize, is a sweet christian lady, who has much more empathy than she would ever let on. This film is made even better with the well known faces of Lily Collins and Tim McGraw as part of the Tuohy family.

The inspirational variation of social economic status and racial prejudice adds diversity and relatability to the film. Michael Oher's sad and dangerous past really touches you, and makes LeAnne Tuohy realize that there is a large social gap, and the impacts it can have. Some might say that the film had too much violence, and may have been too intense at parts. But, these scenes were very necessary to feel empathy and emotion towards Michael and others like him, that lived like that.

The beautifully placed humor, and Sandra Bullock and Jae Head's personalities, really made the film. It lightened the mood of the seriousness of many situations, and just made you feel good about what was going on. The look into different social economic situations gives you a feeling of gratitude and privilege, that really makes you feel compassion towards Michael.

Others might feel that the background and buildup to Michael and his football career is slow, and uneventful. But these events build a story in your mind to how Michael lives. It gives you a strong impression of what his life was like, and why his life is like the way it is now. It's an important part of understanding Michael Oher and his sad story.

So I urge you, if you love inspirational stories of football and breaking the social economic status, then you will love this movie. If you like seeing how someone so broken can accomplish so much, then this is for you. Don't waste your time with made up films about aliens, enjoy a very touching and remarkable re-enactment of an edifying true story.
February 15, 2017
Sometimes it feels like a biographical drama with certain elements that was sentimentalized by Hollywood but overall this film has strong performances, pretty good drama, and it's still a film that I can watch a number of times.
February 4, 2017
Sandra Bullock and Michael Oher in a biographical pic based on Oher's life, The Blind Side. Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) is called Big Mike and he is quite and keeps to himself. His father is passed, and his mother does not care for herself or him. He wanders aimlessly in life until Leigh Anne Tuhoy (Sandra Bullock) decides to take him in of the street.

Under her help, Oher gets a place to sleep and a hot meal. The family also encourages his athletics and mostly his struggling academics. He has 0.6 GPA average so they have a lot of work. Once he is able to get his grades up he starts learning about how to play football. He struggles with this initially until she teaches him to cater to his protective instincts and treat his team as family. Once he gets this, he becomes a lock for college recruiters as several colleges coaches become interested in him. The family's history with Ole Miss has the NCAA wondering if there is a scandal involved.

The Blind Side is an average football biopic. Quinton Aaron does a good job of portraying Oher as calm and charming individual. Bullock wins an Oscar for her portrayal of Yuohy. Her performance is good and she pulls of an accent, but it is far and away from being an incredible winning performance. Perhaps the classic underdog tale combined with the moral Christian values of helping is what led to the films overwhelming success. The story is interesting enough and does not force some of the elements that a Disney rendition of the film may have had. The Blind Side is what you would expect, and not much else.

-2.4.2017
½ February 1, 2017
Good film, its.a bit slow and long but it's really sweet and well done
½ January 23, 2017
Insanely problematic and racist. Upkeeps the idea of a "white savior" coming in to teach another race about "how to live"- and implies that living a life that closely mirrors middle class whites is the only way to go.
January 17, 2017
My expectations were low for The Blind Side, a film whose trailer rubbed me the wrong way. I'm all for inspirational films, but this one looked like an overcooked, manipulative tearjerker with Sandra Bullock stepping way outside of her comfort zone to play a Good Samaritan Southern Belle who helps a struggling black teen with a painful past. I was afraid the film would exploit or gloss over the true pains of African-Americans struggling to escape the projects. I was afraid Sandra Bullock, whose forte is romantic comedies, would annoy with an attempt at a Southern accent. I was afraid that the power of this true story would be lost in hackneyed and trite filmmaking.

My fears were unfounded, and one cannot, it appears, judge a film by its trailer. This is one of the best mainstream films about Christians I've ever seen, possessing charm, integrity, and honesty in spades. Bullock's stab at a Southern accent, while dubious in a two-minute trailer, is actually quite convincing when viewed in the complete film. She truly loses herself in the role, and much to my surprise, I'd like to see her win an Oscar for her tough-love portrayal of a woman whose cannot help but help others. Country-music superstar Tim McGraw, as her husband, proves himself a capable actor, Granted, he doesn't have to do any heavy emotional lifting in the film, but his ability to deliver lines of dry humor was an unexpected delight. Newcomer Quinton Aaron, as the young man helped by Bullock's family, conveys a great deal of pain, sorrow, and joy with his eyes.
January 16, 2017
I'm going to go see this Friday afternoon then go see New Moon
January 9, 2017
This is a great movie it is sad and funny
½ January 7, 2017
Excellent. Great film, one of the best sports films ever made.
January 6, 2017
Just like with "The Help"; this is a movie that makes you shed tears just as easily as it makes you smile/chuckle & is ultimately something very special. It holds a powerful message that is seriously needed in this judgemental/hateful society we live in & the fact it's based off a true story really touches the heart. Brilliant casting but Sandra really took it home. Bravo!
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 11, 2016
A feel-good film about charity and rebuilding life with strong true characters and rocking performances to hold them up, but little escalation in the plot.
December 6, 2016
In the movie the blind side which is part football movie and part Precious with a happy ending, John Lee Hancock's "The Blind Side" is a heart-tugger that once again proves that sometimes truth is stranger than reality. Although still sporting the same Sandra Bullock redeems herself after the dreadful beautifully played by Leigh Anne Tuohy, a Steel Magnolia in Memphis who takes a troubled black teenager named Michael Oher into her very white family's McMansion. Leigh Anne's husband Sean remarks later on the couple's prejudices, "we would have a black son before we knew a Democrat? "There aren't that many one-liners in "The Blind Side," which is basically a true rarity: a fish-out-of-water drama about race relations centering on Michael, who, like the heroine of "Precious," is large, African-American, abused and functionally illiterate. Michael is on the verge of flunking out of a lily-white Christian academy when Leigh Anne - seeing him running around in shorts and a T-shirt during the dead of winter decides to make him an improbable member of her family. The Tuohy's young son is on board with the idea, although his older sister resists at first. The reaction from Leigh Anne's friends is more pointed. "Is this a white guilt thing?" one friend asks her. In fact, the well-to-do Tuohy's, who describe themselves as rednecks, are no liberals - but they take Christian principles seriously. They do meet that Democrat, a liberal tutor hired to help Michael improve his grades enough that he can try out for the school's football team, Michael Oher became a star for the University of Mississippi and was drafted by the NFL's Baltimore Ravens this year. What makes "The Blind Side" a great movie is that Sandra bullock is portraying that no matter what the color of the skin is that someone can get very far in life with support and love from the people around them and not giving up and when you have a dream never give up on it no matter how hard it gets.
December 4, 2016
The blind side was an amazing uplifting movie to have watched. Reminding people that its good to give others a chance to show them they are more than just what they see. Allowing for a new type of family to be shown in a movie speaks to a change in time and shows that love doesn't come in any shape or size. The blind side represents family ties and adding and changing stereotypes that once took over every ones mind set. Bringing together people who would have never got together on their own allowed for learning for different perspectives to come from each side and make each person better.