The Blind Side - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blind Side Reviews

October 19, 2016
Really good. Sandra Bullock was really good in this movie. Totally Oscar worthy performance.
½ September 29, 2016
Despite the fact it almost feels like 'Oscar bait,' it's strong performances make it sentimental and encouraging.
½ September 17, 2016
Driven with courage and motivation, The Blind Side features a respectful adaptation of one of the greatest stories ever told, composed with the bright performances from Sandra Bullock and newcomer Quenton Aaron.
September 3, 2016
A heart-warming tale of overcoming the odds and the human family.
½ September 1, 2016
a movie to make white people feel good, where the person the story is supposed to be about, is given no screen time to tell it himself. Very racist in a "subtle way", but of you look a little closer, it's really not too subtle at all
½ August 26, 2016
Super good story and gotta love characters
½ July 17, 2016
Feel good movie with a completely predictable plot. Sandra Bullock's acting and nice family scenes carry the movie.

Watched again in Jun 2016 and same view!
June 26, 2016
Best movie ever!!! Even though i cry every time i see it, this movie will always be my favorite and i love the book too! ( even though im still reading the book. )
½ June 10, 2016
Regardless of how you feel about the film's unintentional insinuations on race, there's no denying the inspiring nature of the unbelievably true story depicted in John Lee Hancock's "The Blind Side." It's a film that overcomes its occasional slow-pacing and made-for-TV-esque presentation with honest pathos and a powerhouse adhesive of a performance from Sandra Bullock. Like the film's soft-spoken left tackle protagonist, "The Blind Side" is a film that comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lamb - but it sure is a lamb with a big heart.
June 8, 2016
Gotta love a true sports movie with good acting. The recruiting process of real life collage coaches trying to win the heart of Sandra Bullock and her cool lil real lifes son heart as while as her took in giant blue chip high school tackle is funny and tounching. Its good to see what love and family can do for those in need.
½ May 15, 2016
The plot is well written, The characters show emotion and as a person who they were, with funny and memerable side characters, The blind side is not blind here. I was going to give this movie a 5 but what bothered me was that Micheal Oher didnt had much dialogue in the beginning and that was dull.
May 14, 2016
Heartwarming and entertaining. A compelling Sandra Bullock.
½ May 14, 2016
This is movie is about Michael Oher coming from a "broken family" who finds a nice white family raises him and he goes onto the NFL and gets drafted 23rd overall by the Baltimore Ravens in the 2009 NFL Draft.
May 14, 2016
A patronizing drama that uses a manipulative narrative structure to make you buy its disgusting message that for a black young boy like Big Mike to succeed in life he should follow what he is told by his "white Republican saviors", for they always know best.
½ April 26, 2016
This doesn't have the same feel as the other films based on Michael Lewis books. Instead of exploring statistics and numbers we get family drama that touches upon racial prejudice and class differences. Since I recently read Frank Capra's autobiography, it occurs to me that this movie is like the do-good, God-fearing, social-issue, sentimental Americana stories that Capra used to tell. It also includes football, Bullock with a tough Mississippi-Belle accent, and other fairly stereotypical characters. I can't say I always enjoyed the tale. It offers only pat answers.
April 22, 2016
Love this movie so much !
½ April 13, 2016
Review on The Blind Side

What draws you into a movie? Is it the actors/actresses? How about the graphics,

storyline, pace, or even the continuation of a plot? These are all what I look for in a movie, and

how i'll be reviewing The Blind Side. When I go to see a movie I am always looking for how the

actors/ actresses play the part, the quality of the graphics, the storyline is consistent, that the

pace of the movie isn't too fast you can understand what is happening, and looking to see if

the plot is a continuous thing throughout the movie.

When looking at actors/ actresses i am looking for how well they play the part. I want to

see if they really fit the part; like do they connect with the person that they are playing? In The

Blind Side I feel like the actors, and actresses really fit the part that they are playing. It really

seemed like they were actually a family; was as if they really weren't acting or playing a part.

While looking at graphics I want to see stuff that looks realistic. I want to see stuff

that's like really high quality and looks extremely real; like it actually happened. I also want to

see that it wasn't just done on a computer screen; while looking at this category I?ll also be

judging it on how the actors/actresses react to it, or act when they are interacting with the

graphics. This movie had great graphics.

When I see a movie I want to see the storyline be continuous; I don't want something that

is confusing or anything like that. I want it to make sense, and for it to be easily to understand,

but still entertaining. I also want to see good development of how the storyline comes together.

Looking for the graphics, and the quality of the graphics is pretty easy to do, just look for how

real they look. Like fake blood , fake fighting and multiple things like that.

During a movie I want to see the plot being continued throughout the whole movie.

Some movies just have the plot on certain time like when it's actually happening but then they go

right into solving it I also like to see a interesting plot, I don't want to see a boring plot because

then the movie is usually boring.

So basically how I reviewed The Blind Side is on actors/ actresses, pace,

storyline, and plot development. I hope you can see what I mean, with the categories and why I

look for those things in a movie.
April 12, 2016
I've been crying at this movie for 7 years. It's no masterpiece but it somehow manages to touch every last heart string through candor and raw emotion.
March 29, 2016
Movie itself was good... Story false
February 28, 2016
Writer/Director John Lee Hancock's adaptation of Michael Lewis' true-story book "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game" is a tactfully hedged intriguing mixture of complicated socioeconomics', politics and willpower.

Embodying her character as a wealthy All-American Memphis Republican housewife, Sandra Bullock couldn't be more deserving of her first Academy Award nomination in this career-best role. Often overlooked for her questionable comedic pursuits, it is wonderful to see Bullock back in the Drama style she has such talent for.

Finding new talent and athletic prowess is top private school football Coach Burt Cotton's (Ray McKinnon) job. After setting sight on 16-year-old African-American gentle giant Michael Oher, derogatorily known as Big Mike (played by Quinton Aaron), Cotton found the offensive left tackle (Blind Side player) of his dreams.

In an uphill battle, Cotton is determined to convince the straight laced and conservative school board that it is their "Christian duty" to give the boy the education he deserves. Learning disorders and all, Oher is enrolled in school on one condition; he cannot play sports until his grade point average reaches the basic standard.

Quiet and introverted, the undereducated 'Big Mike' instantly falls behind in class, unable to communicate his comprehension in the expected methods. A misfit in every way, Oher's problems stem even further than the classroom. Son of a crack-addicted mother and absentee father, Oher's is alone in the world; homeless, penniless and living out of the school gym.

One night, as Oher waits for the gym to empty, he is confronted by the white well-to-do Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock). Brash in her mother-knows-best approach, Leigh Ann demands that Oher come home with her family.

A woman with purpose in her stride and absolute certainty in her heart, Leigh Ann's perfectly cultured upper-crusted exterior conceals a complex and deeply caring woman.

Concerned with his well-being, Leigh Ann invites Oher to stay. Crossing into the Ghetto (Hurt Village) to collect the last of "Big Mike's" meager possessions, Leigh Ann realizes the extent of society's failures towards Michael and single handedly decides to put them right.

Creating him a home, giving him a personal and respectable identity and getting his grades up to standard, Leigh Ann finally gets him on the football field and the path to a decent life.

As expected this story utilizes every cliché. Can Michael get the grades he needs to get into college? Can he fully comprehend the game well enough to play? Will she stand up to her snobby socialite friends? Does Leigh Ann have an ulterior motive to her do-gooder ways?

If you can see past some of the cringe-worthy 50cent cash-in lines, Bullock injects humor and strength into this very delicate and soft true-story biopic.

The exact opposite to the fictional Best Picture nominee Precious, "The Blind Side" doesn't feel the need to delve into the gritty and authentic sense of defeat and despair of the situation, rather present a cleanly polished, packaged and palatable uplifting journey.

Similarly, opposed to its other Best Picture nominee Invictus, "The Blind Side" doesn't harbor dreadfully on-field, resisting the urge to descend into a mediocre sports movie.

Exceptionally well-cast, Bullock is teamed with movie newcomer Quinton Aaron. Aaron's understated and appealing performance is pleasant and easy to accept. Kathy Bates' contrasting character as a left-wing Democratic tutor sits well within the film. Country Singer Tim McGraw and 12 year old Jae Head bring a well crafted light-heartedness and innocence respectively to the film.

The Verdict: Although nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, this wonderfully positive and emotive story has an overly glossy mainstream style and lacks the hard-edge of its competitors.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age