A Prophet (Un prophete) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Prophet (Un prophete) Reviews

February 17, 2018
this movie was dope. Lotta hustling in prison, and main lead is an Arab, but the movie doesn't lecture us about religious tolerance, etc but we begin to respect Muslim religion and idea of brotherhood toward the end.
½ February 16, 2018
When he walks out of the prison at the end of the movie, walking with the mother and son of his dead friend, followed by the limos, you know you've just watched a classic movie.
½ October 10, 2017
A nominee in the category of Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars and the Golden Globes that reverberates with tenderhearted muscularity in chronicling the survival story of a young petty criminal in the hellacious Darwinian world behind bars.
August 2, 2017
Un Prophète s'avère une merveille tant par son acteur principal que l'attention porter au scénario. Un "must" pour n'importe quel amateur de films de "gangsters"
½ August 1, 2017
Great lead performance by Rahim as a man that must evolve and fulfill a dark destiny in an environment rarely seen in cinema. Audiard delivers a detailed social commentary on race/ethnicity, poverty and prison life and an original gangster coming-of-age film.
May 9, 2017
making humannwyhy there isnt movie like this
½ April 18, 2017
Satisfying prison drama that's not populated with cliche.
½ April 4, 2017
In this film it's simple, ALL Arabs, blacks, Corsicans are delinquent. ALL Whites are cops. Not surprising that in the racist France of Sarkozy they gave it the Cesar of the "best film" !!!
½ March 12, 2017
The runtime might drag on you, but A Prophet is a unrelentingly dark film that has serous complex themes at the center that are hashed out in amazing fashion. The plot keeps the audience on its toes for most of the runtime, and the ending is both satisfying and thought provoking to me
½ January 23, 2017
Indeed, crime pays in "A Prophet", the gangster movie whose armed assault of film fests, awards shows, and critics' polls has made it the most widely valued French underworld thriller in decades, and the best developed crime drama in recent cinema history.

"A Prophet" follows the life of Malik (Tahar Rahim), a young Frenchman of Arab descent, who enters prison as an outsider and is shaped into an adult criminal from the inside. He seems an unlikely protagonist for a prison movie and he's behind bars for unclear reasons. He claims he's innocent, although it doesn't matter. Prison efficiently strips him of privacy and self-respect, and becomes a pawn to the Corsican gang that controls everything behind bars through violence and bribes. This gang is run by Cesar Luciani (Niels Arestrup), a man who has a commanding presence, and walks everywhere followed by bodyguards. His spies see all that happens. He gives an order, and it is followed out.
There is a prisoner there (Hichem Yacoubi) who Cesar wants killed. This man must not live to testify. Malik is instructed by Cesar's lieutenant how to conceal a razor blade in his mouth and slit the man's throat. It is very simple. If Malik doesn't do this, he will die. When Malik seeks help from the warden, he quickly finds out that Cesar calls the shots in this prison. Malik has never killed anyone before and struggles with the notion, and carrying out the act--killing someone up close, turns into a bloody skirmish, everything is covered in blood. Malik escapes only because Cesar has had the wing cleared out.

In the years to come, Malik transforms before our very eyes. He learns how to read, how to observe others, how to measure motives and size people up, how to devise strategy, and how to rise in the ranks. Malik bides his time, keeping a low profile and his ears open, to create a life for himself once he serves out this sentence.

Jacques Audiard effortlessly creates a landscape with complicated rules and creating characters that are compelling and empathetic, even as they commit heinous acts. Rahim perfectly telegraphs his maturation from petty thief to major player in a brilliant performance that relies much less on words, than the way he carries himself and his body language. He doesn't need to tell us that's he's taking charge of the prison, or surpassing Cesar, we just watch it happen. The film's brutal, realistic violence is not for the faint for heart, but fans of raw, gripping cinema shouldn't be put off; "A Prophet" demands to be seen. Nominee of 2009 Academy Award Nominee for Best Foreign Language Film and winner of London Film Critics Award for Best Picture of the Year.
December 19, 2016
82%
A prophet is one of the better French films, slow yet not as drowsy as the others from the country. It's got good acting overall, a good colour scheme and a realistic gangster story in it's backdrop.
December 5, 2016
Certainly well done gangster film. But jeez, gansters are stupid idiots. I don't know about the title, probably ironic and referring to a lucky encounter with deers maybe. I guess, good to learn about gangsters without having to suffer first hand. Boy, would I have this bunch of morons arrested! Oh wait, they were already in jail most of the time. Psychopathy at its best.
December 5, 2016
October 1, 2016
A Prophet is your usual tough and violent gangster film, except it maintains a distinct uniqueness. Disregard the film's length, as it is thoroughly satisfying.Undoubtedly one of the finest gangster films I have ever viewed.
It deserves to be regarded as a classic.
August 23, 2016
This is what I was talking about. The other night when the topic turned to film and everyone had a recommendation, this is what I was talking about. When the discussion got deeper and everyone started making top 5 lists, this is what I was talking about. Great prison film. Great gangster film. Great film, period. Could not praise it enough. It is an instant classic.
June 20, 2016
A Prophet is a disturbing coming-of-age story of sorts, and one of the best gangster films of all time.
November 3, 2015
A gripping French gangster film that depicts the many brutal changes that a man can go through after entering prison, and the 19-year-old Arab-Corsican delinquent who slowly learns to become a murderer is played with an impressive intensity by Tahar Rahim.
October 2, 2015
"A prophete", more than a gangster or prison film is a fiction story that gives us an unintended vision of French society and the rol of arab inmigration and the muslim habits. The story doesn't pretend to have a morale, just to show the progress of Malik. It probably has the scene of one of the clumsiest and bloodiest crimes of the recent prison film.