Amreeka - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amreeka Reviews

½ February 9, 2016
Pour son premier film, Cherien Dabis décide de parler de sa propre vie et de sa famille en contant l'histoire d'une mère et de son fils qui quittent la Palestine pour aller vivre aux USA, dans l'Illinois. Au lieu d'en faire un drame, Cherien Dabis en fait une comédie, parfois hilarante, souvent grinçante, constamment efficace. Nisreen Faour est absolument fabuleuse dans le rôle principal, tandis qu'on note de belles performances d'Hiam Abbass, Yussuf Abu-Warda et Alia Shawkat. Jamais les situations semblent être exagérées ou dramatisées pour rendre le film plus marquant. Au contraire, ce sont les petites choses de la vie que retranscrit Dabis qui sont particulièrement réussies et qui en font un excellent film, à qui l'on pardonnerait presque de faire encore plus de publicité pour le White Castle que le premier opus des aventures d'Harold & Kumar.
½ February 22, 2015
A middling film about the trials and tribulations of a Palestinian family and their new home in America. When things are bad, they are truly bad and when they are good, things are perfect. Unfortunately that loses reality in a film.
August 7, 2014
Liked this so much. Some people would argue that it's diluted in Hollywood fluff, maybe over-sentimental and simplistic, but regardless of how obvious its lessons SHOULD be, they're not obvious to everyone. Wonderfully acted and realistic, with a perfect ending, hopeful but not over-sappy.
October 2, 2013
luckily i've watched this! very truthful! story of struggling immigrant from Palestine. Muna character is entertaining to watch.. thumbs up!
½ September 6, 2013
Cherien Dabis too easily resolves or dismisses the characters' problems, making way for an upbeat ending.
½ August 7, 2013
I enjoyed it, though nothing about it stand out to me.
½ August 3, 2013
A Palestinian divorced mother moves with her teenaged son to Illinois to live and go to school. Good enough.
½ August 1, 2013
The conflicts central to this film are set up like dominoes and then quickly knocked over. Towards of the end of the film I tired of this conflict template. However, I liked this movie simply because it's quite different than your standard fare. Solid characters and camerawork...and a funny script.
July 30, 2013
A divorced Palestinian and her young son decide to move to America shortly after 9/11, and struggle with the ignorance and prejudice of the people of rural Illinois. This feature length debut by Dabis is a touching and sweet drama brimming with humanity which surprises not only for its occasional well timed sense of humour but also for its more positive look on the subject of immigration than most other films of the same kind.
½ June 24, 2013
Soberbia revison del racismo y la cultura árabe a veces tan contradictoria. El ser humano es universal, y se aferra de donde puede.
April 10, 2013
Here we have an immigrant family of two, mother and son, from the West Bank, and their emigration to and adjustment to life in the American medwest. I found the lead character, the mother, Mouna, absolutely loveable, down to earth lady, with no agendas other than making a living for her 16 year old son, Fadi. Problems ensue, of course. But Mouna persists against awful odds, hurts, disappointments, racism and having to work far below her expertise in her homeland. All turns out well in the end. I absolutely loved this movie. It is a keeper on DVD.
February 26, 2013
national geographic entertainment presented us a movie that is very true to heart...

Amreeka teaches us to be what we really are...
½ January 3, 2013
By the end, the messaging gets so heavy-handed that the movie loses some credibility with its intended audience. But if you're an American, you know there is truth to all of it, and this film provides an opportunity to put yourself in a Palestinian's shoes and feel a bit of their experience.
October 28, 2012
Really loved this movie. Such a great story and told so well.
October 13, 2012
Good use of drama and comedy in this original story.
September 6, 2012
i like this kind of genre!
August 20, 2012
Candid and empathy-provoking for the most part although the end of the last act seemed to rush too quickly towards a happy ending.
½ July 27, 2012
It was a cheesy movie... buy easy to relate to in some parts...
July 13, 2012
There's a lot of good will here, but there's also a problem with the way the script feels like it has to hit some pretty cliche problems and resolutions.
½ April 7, 2012
A stealth political piece about a Palestinian family's rough immigration to heartland America, effectively put across by a lovable cast. Here is a writer/director to watch.