Kick-Ass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kick-Ass Reviews

September 10, 2017
I knew this would be great because Ebert hated it. Ebert is the most overrated couch potato of all time -- he gave a thumbs up to Transformers thereby proving he knows nothing at all about cinema and he said video games aren't art thereby proving he doesn't know anything about art.

This film will never appeal to males who want to see muscular men with superpowers so they can vicariously imagine themselves to be muscular men with great power. The main character, Kick-Ass, is a skinny nerd with no super powers or even martial arts training, and he gets upstaged by a little girl. He also gets stabbed in the gut and run over by a car whilst trying to be a costumed hero.

This movie was a satirical superhero story that really draws its inspiration from the ridiculous idea that Batman would bring a child (Robin) into the deadly, dangerous world of vigilantism, as well as the ridiculousness of being a costumed vigilante without any super powers. While Chris Nolan took the idea of a non-super-powered man in a silly costume playing vigilante and made some deadly-serious, utterly humorless movies out of that idea, this movie plays up the sheer absurdity of it all and revels in not taking it all seriously.

This movie had drama, humor, some great action sequences, and a great performance by Chloe Moretz.
September 6, 2017
Worth paying a ticket for. See it already! O yea and bring a friend.
September 2, 2017
As far fetched as this movie was, it was a whole lot of fun. The characters were engaging and Dave was down to earth in his struggles to fit in at high school. The action was totally over the top and a lot of bloody fun. Great take on an everyday super hero.
August 31, 2017
If you liked Deadpool (2016), which actually came out after this one, then you're really going to like Kick-Ass. It's full of the same anti-hero comedic elements, without forgeting the violence and the profanity. But it' a pretty entertaining film, it's like it's own superhero movie,but also parodies other superheros. and overall, I think it's a very memerable superhero movie,even if it' not a major one. Recommended !!
August 24, 2017
In someways it's a pity that the grounded, more real approach that this movie starts out with doesn't last very long. By the end it's as cartoony and over-the-top as it can get. That said, this movie is largely a breath of fresh air packed with entertainment value.
½ August 16, 2017
Matthew Vaughn is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers/directors, but I didn't take the time to go back and checked out Kick-Ass. I never should have waited, because Vaughn struck gold for me again with this film. It's a thoroughly fun and exciting adventure that starts as the tale of a real-life superhero, and then shifts into a heightened reality where that hero is possibly the only thing close to real-life.

The high school life of Dave felt very authentic, and I liked how they established his humble beginnings instead of the cliche of a traditional superhero origin. The simplistic reasons he decides to be a hero made me laugh, and I like that things got ugly fast (as they would in real life.) But Kick-Ass really lit up and became something special when Nicolas Cage and ChloŽ Grace Moretz appeared on screen. The two of them are truly awesome characters that elevate this film into the stratosphere.

I adored the action scenes in this film (even with the extreme bloody violence.) There are at least three different fights in this film that had me grinning like a fool, because I was having so much fun watching. However, nothing tops that climactic battle. The blend of music, stunts, a little bit of slow-motion, and a whole lot of blood was genius. It had some unexpected moments and a few bombastic sequences that made me want to stand up and cheer. Kick-Ass is a huge adrenaline rush of elation for me, and I can't wait to watch it again.
August 11, 2017
Best superhero comedy of all time. Funniest quotes from kick-ass, the action scenes are so 100% good.
July 24, 2017
I really wasn't as big of a fan of this movie as everyone else was. It was an every day kid trying to become a super hero. The characters were just sort of meh. Really hard to care about any of them more than just not wanting them to die out of respect for human life. They are all dumb so maybe that is the social commentary is that anyone that would decide to do something like this must be good at heart but sort of thick in the head
July 18, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny action packed superhero movie starring quicksilver from age of ultron, Nic cage, and chole what's her face. I had a fun time with this movie, I loved every character in this movie, big daddy, kick a and hit girl are cool characters and they're funny, really funny. Can't wait to see the sequel.
½ July 13, 2017
Bloody hell. Was not expecting that.
July 9, 2017
Engaging, funny, intense, and loads of fun
July 8, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Kick-Ass is honestly one of the smartest comic-book adaptations ever put to the big screen, and largely that's down to the overriding satirical approach that director Matthew Vaughn brings to the fray. Yes in many ways this isn't only an adaptation of its source material; it's also a commentary on the genre itself, and whilst we could now compare that to 'Deadpool,' this film's approach is far more under-hand and quietly amusing. As a result you'll not only be grinning from ear to ear at the charm and mocking humour, but you may also find the messages from the themes this unlocks rather touching, and certainly investing. Couple all that with a set of very amusing and occasionally layered characters - as well as down-right brilliant in-the-moment humour and action - and you end up with a very smart and very enjoyable film indeed.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Occasionally things go a little over-the-top without quite enough serious grounding to bring us in. That applies to both the satire itself, and the often twisted nature of the story.
VERDICT: Michael Vaughn out-does himself a second time in another brilliantly satirical, smart and amusing venture that really shouldn't work as well as it does.
July 6, 2017
Wildly profane and full of bloody violence, Kick-Ass does just that; kick ass. It remains true to the source material, which is for the best. The cast is great, with Cage delivering his finest performance since Face/Off.
June 27, 2017
A "realistic" approach of today's definition of a "superhero", Kick-Ass delivers straight-out-of-the-page comic book actions and fighting that are visually stunning and amazing.
June 15, 2017
Funny, smart, outstanding performances( especially from Chloe Grace) in a truly great comic book film!!!
June 11, 2017
Very funny, well directed film with plenty of exciting action. Actually, very surprised how entertaining this movie was. Original and great choreography, with powerful fight scenes.
Mathew Vaughn is a great director( 2 X-Men hits, Eddie the Eagle ( funny film, also with Hugh Jackman)
Grade A-
Grade A-
½ June 11, 2017
Kick Ass is a movie that works on several levels. It works as an action movie, a comedy, a spoof, and a relatable story all packed into one, balanced movie that you never feel bored while watching.
½ June 6, 2017
An action-packed and fun movie with a dash of humor and tackiness
May 27, 2017
'KICK-ASS' was directed by Matthew Vaughn, stars Aaron Taylor- Johson, Chloe Grace Mortez and Chris Mintz-Plasse and is the story of a teenage boy who tries to become a fully fledged superhero. As his story unfolds, he meets new, amazing friends, make new, despicable enemies and, ironically enough, gets his 'Kick-Assed' multiple times.

What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said? It's a fast paced, ultra-violent comic book movie starring a bloke in a green suit, a psychotic 14 year old and Batman. It's a fun movie, no doubt about that. It's competently shot, acted, directed and written and I guess I can recommend it. Chloe Grace Mortez steals the show as Hit Girl followed swiftly and competently by Aaron Taylor-Johnson and even Nicholas 'Not the Bees' Cage, who gives a surprisingly great performance , specially considering his recent track record. I do really adore how this movie is essentially Matthew Vaughn flipping off the 'child friendly' genre Superhero films are now seen as today. While it was made a tad bit before films such as 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'The Avengers', it still echoes the sentiment of how childish superhero movies have become and did a hilarious satire of the genre, over 6 years before 'Deadpool'.

This movie is first and foremost an origin story and it does that job exceptionally well. I know NOTHING about Kick-Ass from any comics so I can't comment on accuracy but I can say it was a great origin that rivals that of 'Iron Man' and 'Batman Begins'. There are some plot threads that aren't solved throughout the movie, none of which I'll spoil but there are a few that, while maybe not needing closure, would have been nice to get closure on.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson provides his best performance as the titular character 'Kick-Ass' and made the character so much more interesting that he ought to be. Despite his efforts, Taylor-Johnson was outshone by Chloe Grace Mortez' amazing performance as Hit Girl and stole every single scene she was in. Hit Girl was, easily, the best character in the movie and I could even see a movie being made about her. Nicholas 'HOW'D IT GET BURNED' Cage was surprisingly great as Batman and played his character well. The Human Bear Suit provided a cheesy, fun performance and really smashed home the films tone. While Chris Mintz-Plasse was good as Red Mist, I don't think his character was less necessary to this movie than spray tan is to Supreme Leader Trump. Mark Strong was passable as Frank D'Amico but he wasn't too strong of a villain. Lyndssey Fonseca was very weak as Katie and provides less use than to this movie than the Death Stare did to Clinton's campaign.

This movie was mostly well shot and edited but I didn't like some rapid sequences of quick cuts which I personally think harmed the movie more than aided it. The effects in this movie were very mediocre. That costume design, however, is more on point than the costume design of Nazi Germany in WW2.

The action for this movie was amazing and it was genuinely hilarious. There were jokes in this movie were I laughed more than I did on 11th August 2014(what I was watching 'Aladdin'). In all seriousness, this movie achieved a genuinely great balance between sorrowful moments and funny moments.

One minor gripe I have with this movie is the music. None of the music fit in with the scenes and none of it actually worked well in the movie.

In conclusion, this movie is funny, action packed, contains sorrowful moments and is a solid 8/10. I do recommend you see this movie if you can take the ultra violence and enjoy this humour.

8/10

Would Recommend
½ May 17, 2017
Everything about this movie just screams pure fun. The insanely over the top violence, the hilarious dialogue, and the likable characters come together nicely to create a truly great movie. I think the story is pretty silly but I bought into it because it is handled in such an original way. The movie is truly a breath of fresh air for the superhero genre. I loved all of the characters and everything they had to offer. While everyone has at least one great moment, Chloe Grace Moretz as hit girl is definitely the stand out character. Everything she said and did was either comedic or action gold. It's a blast from start to finish and if you're a fan of good over the top action movies you can't miss it.