A Single Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Single Man Reviews

½ August 28, 2017
Fantastic movie. Beautifully directed, great acting, great story, and best of all Colin Firth.
½ August 15, 2017
Beautiful and stunning visual movie reminds me of Wong Kar Wai. This introspective narrative about life, fear, loss, real love, mature relationships and the scarce flickering moments of pure joy and clarity. Colin Firth performance, Tom Ford clean directing and Abel Korzeniowski gentle soundtrack make it perfect. A must see.
½ July 31, 2017
Film, first and foremost, is an audiovisual experience. A Single Man delivers in spades on that front. The meticulous-ness here on the visual level almost rivals someone like Kubrick who is known for wanting everything to be perfect. Color might as well be its own character in this film. The grading changes hues depending on how our main character is feeling. The most dull scenes are washed out, almost greyscale. Sad memories, flashbacks, are seen in a total black-and-white filter. The colors intensify when our lead feels stimulated, whether sexually or from plain happiness. The change in color is subtle enough to be acknowledged, but not obnoxious.
July 29, 2017
Far too stylised. Couldn't be bothered with it.
Antonius Block
June 20, 2017
This is a quiet, somber, and loving film, plumbing the depths of grief after the loss of one's partner in life. Colin Firth is an English professor whose partner, played by Matthew Goode, has died in a car accident. He is consoled by his friend (Julianne Moore), but is having a lot of trouble snapping out of his despondency. It's a strong cast and Firth and Moore in particular turn in great performances.

The beauty of the film, just as in life, is in all of its little moments. Firth's relationship with Goode is told in brief, touching flashbacks, which feel like real memories. A student's (Nicholas Hoult) attraction to him is told very subtly, in the eyes. Firth is morose, but shaken out of his routine and contemplating life and death, takes the opportunity to tell people kind things, the things he normally wouldn't have expressed. He also recognizes those singular moments in life when one sees with absolute clarity, and the way director Tom Ford tells us this is touching and profound.

The fact that the people involved in this story are gay is secondary, although it is nice that the movie shows us these relationships are like any other, and the painful consequences of societal rejection. In a heartbreaking scene, Firth's character is not allowed to attend his partner of 16 years' funeral because it's for """family only""", but Ford exercises the perfect amount of restraint, and doesn't dwell on this any further. While teaching his class, Firth describes irrational fear as the motivating factor behind hatred of minorities, something heightened when a minority is invisible and walking among us. He's of course alluding to homosexuality, but how appropriate this general message is in 2017, when the outcome of fear has been so clearly felt in U.S. politics.
June 12, 2017
A British college professor loses his long time partner to a tragic car accident and also loses the meaning of his life, dwelling on the past and thinking about taking his own life. It has a beautiful cinematography, the way the colors change as we see through his eyes is remarkable and Colin Firth's performance is great as well as Julianne Moore's.
March 20, 2017
4/5

A Single Man is a brilliant example of style in film and specially in dramas, a genre that with time seems to forget the importance of the characters involved and the small moments, both aspects in which this film excels at like no other.
½ March 3, 2017
After watching Nocturnal Animals (which I like parts of but didn't love) I wanted to see Tom Fords first film. This is the story of a middle aged man who's partner dies in a car crash and how he works through his pain. Colin Firth gives a great performance in a well deserved Oscar nominated role. Visually it has some great scenery and some beutifully shot scenes, being that Tom Ford is a fashion designer gives the film a particular look and feel which I really liked. I liked what the film was trying to say, but like Nocturnal Animals I like elements of it but I didn't love it.
½ March 1, 2017
An elegant and tender film let down by a lousy ending. Damn shame.
½ January 4, 2017
Movie is predictible, plot is weak and uneventful. The viewer will predict the ending and predict an alternative ending thats even better, but not even realized.
December 17, 2016
A Single Man proudly sports fantastic central performances from Colin Firth and Julianne Moore, beautiful cinematography and assured direction from first timer Tom Ford.
December 2, 2016
A Single Man is a decent film. It is about an English professor, one year after the sudden death of his boyfriend, is unable to cope. Colin Firth and Julianne Moore give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Tom Ford did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
November 22, 2016
4 Stars. Beautiful film. Best performance I've seen from Colin Firth as well. He's incredible in this. The color saturation was a wonderful creative decision from Tom Ford.
½ November 7, 2016
He oído maravillas de esta película pero a mí me pareció demasiado superficial, queriendo contar un drama interno infernal en una vida de clóset. Yo lo único que vi fue una película mucho más preocupada en el diseño de vestuario y de interiores que por realmente contar algo real.

"Un hombre solitario" tiene una fotografía impecable como cualquier pasarela de Dior pero es el vehículo para contar la historia de un Drama Queen al que realmente nunca le creí que se enamoró porque nunca fue capaz de demostrar que sabía amar, ni siquiera la relación con su amiga parece sincera.

A veces sí recomiendo una película por la pura experiencia visual que puede brindar, pero en el caso de "A Single Man" me dio flojera, el final no me conmovió como ninguna de las escenas de drama de Collin Flirt pero creo que a mucha comunidad gay le encantó porque precisamente está hecha por y para aquellos que aman lo superficial y bello pero con un toque de drama intenso.
October 31, 2016
Beautiful cinematography, this film looks amazing, and it's embodied with great acting, specially by Colin Firth, it's a little low-paced, but it takes its time to tell a moving story about loneliness and depression.
½ October 18, 2016
Por primera vez veo una excelente película con temática gay que no tiene nada que ver con sexo o salir del clóset.
½ October 4, 2016
A gorgeous well crafted film. Beautiful just beautiful. A little slow paced but still good.
½ September 26, 2016
Touching, heartfelt, and visually unprecedented.
Grade: A-
September 2, 2016
While everyone has well-documented the crisp visuals -- complementing the crisp nature of the fictive life in question -- I was struck by the performances of Julianne Moore and Colin Firth. While I love Moore, and love her here, I don't think this is the Oscar-buzz performance as noted elsewhere -- that is, unless they want to give it to her as payback for some other role for which she was robbed the statue. Firth, however, is a strong contender. While I'm not at the stage of life Professor Falconer is at here (but, 99% of the audience I attended with was), I was able to feel the character's isolation and the joy of the fleeting moments of connection with other people. At a brisk 1 hour and 39 minutes, it hardly seems like one could get into the head of a character but here the viewer is there from the first minute. To that end, Ford's debut is a success in that he feels no compulsion to weigh the viewer down in unnecessary exposition. You simply get the barest information to know what's going on. Ford knows how to edit himself, and that is a strength I wish more directors/ writers had. The one main problem I had is that I did not like Nicholas Hoult, who has a weird serpentine mouth. I kept expecting him to snap Firth/ Falconer's head off in a move right out of Harry Potter. That is certainly not the filmic disconnect you want to have with the rest of this cast and this story.
½ August 11, 2016
Solid debut for fashion designer, Tom Ford. A Single Man, starring Colin Firth, starts strong, enters a bit of a lull, and finishes with a satisfyingly, unexpected ending.