A Single Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Single Man Reviews

December 2, 2016
A Single Man is a decent film. It is about an English professor, one year after the sudden death of his boyfriend, is unable to cope. Colin Firth and Julianne Moore give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Tom Ford did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
November 22, 2016
4 Stars. Beautiful film. Best performance I've seen from Colin Firth as well. He's incredible in this. The color saturation was a wonderful creative decision from Tom Ford.
½ November 7, 2016
He oído maravillas de esta película pero a mí me pareció demasiado superficial, queriendo contar un drama interno infernal en una vida de clóset. Yo lo único que vi fue una película mucho más preocupada en el diseño de vestuario y de interiores que por realmente contar algo real.

"Un hombre solitario" tiene una fotografía impecable como cualquier pasarela de Dior pero es el vehículo para contar la historia de un Drama Queen al que realmente nunca le creí que se enamoró porque nunca fue capaz de demostrar que sabía amar, ni siquiera la relación con su amiga parece sincera.

A veces sí recomiendo una película por la pura experiencia visual que puede brindar, pero en el caso de "A Single Man" me dio flojera, el final no me conmovió como ninguna de las escenas de drama de Collin Flirt pero creo que a mucha comunidad gay le encantó porque precisamente está hecha por y para aquellos que aman lo superficial y bello pero con un toque de drama intenso.
October 31, 2016
Beautiful cinematography, this film looks amazing, and it's embodied with great acting, specially by Colin Firth, it's a little low-paced, but it takes its time to tell a moving story about loneliness and depression.
½ October 18, 2016
Por primera vez veo una excelente película con temática gay que no tiene nada que ver con sexo o salir del clóset.
½ October 4, 2016
A gorgeous well crafted film. Beautiful just beautiful. A little slow paced but still good.
½ September 26, 2016
Touching, heartfelt, and visually unprecedented.
Grade: A-
September 2, 2016
While everyone has well-documented the crisp visuals -- complementing the crisp nature of the fictive life in question -- I was struck by the performances of Julianne Moore and Colin Firth. While I love Moore, and love her here, I don't think this is the Oscar-buzz performance as noted elsewhere -- that is, unless they want to give it to her as payback for some other role for which she was robbed the statue. Firth, however, is a strong contender. While I'm not at the stage of life Professor Falconer is at here (but, 99% of the audience I attended with was), I was able to feel the character's isolation and the joy of the fleeting moments of connection with other people. At a brisk 1 hour and 39 minutes, it hardly seems like one could get into the head of a character but here the viewer is there from the first minute. To that end, Ford's debut is a success in that he feels no compulsion to weigh the viewer down in unnecessary exposition. You simply get the barest information to know what's going on. Ford knows how to edit himself, and that is a strength I wish more directors/ writers had. The one main problem I had is that I did not like Nicholas Hoult, who has a weird serpentine mouth. I kept expecting him to snap Firth/ Falconer's head off in a move right out of Harry Potter. That is certainly not the filmic disconnect you want to have with the rest of this cast and this story.
½ August 11, 2016
Solid debut for fashion designer, Tom Ford. A Single Man, starring Colin Firth, starts strong, enters a bit of a lull, and finishes with a satisfyingly, unexpected ending.
August 1, 2016
A deeply touching film with a beautiful cinematography and art direction, a wonderful score and a remarkable direction by fashion designer Tom Ford. Still, what stands out more than anything else is Colin Firth's fantastic leading performance.
July 3, 2016
A compelling drama rich in period detail and anchored by a strong leading performance from Firth.
½ May 31, 2016
Mostly this film just succeeds at setting a depressive mood but other than that its pretty ridic. I thought the main character, played by colin firth, while his acting was pretty good, i found the character himself not likable really. The ending was a bit too coincidental and i didnt believe that this young kid was throwing himself at the prof and i thought his acting and lines were bad. There were other parts i thought the directing was pretentious and so obnoxious like with many of the slow shots that werent necessary (ie dog smelling). I mostly just watched this film for the supposedly great fashion, which yes the men are all dressed very well but male fashion is kinda boring to me. I liked the score and some of the images but overall this movie didnt do much for me.
April 13, 2016
A somewhat morbid story which follows Colin Firths quest to discover whether there is any life after death, following the tragic loss of his partner in a winter accident. With only the shoulder of his best mate to cry upon, herself seemingly suffering from a mid life crisis, there appears to be a very bleak future ahead. As the characters resort to booze, fags, and feigned suicide attempts as a result of their depression, there appears no way out of this downward spiral as they reminisce about their failed lives. That is until former 'Skins' favourite Nicholas Hoult is thrown into the equation to add some toyboy interest for our lead character, and subsequently delve into the taboo subject matter of a homo erotic pupil teacher relationship. As the bond grows ever closer, we dare to even contemplate that there may even be a glimmer of happiness sneaking into the script. Alas, come the ending, normal service is resumed as we are treated to a continuation of the misery in a very sudden climax. Unfortunately, some questions do remain unanswered but in a way this works well with the impact of the hard hitting ending signifying that one can never predict what is around the corner, or generally speaking, life itself. Cleverly done and acted well by an A list of British celebs, but this oozes appeal for toffee nosed critics and is never going to be a spectacle which the everyday party goer would be enthused by if faced with the already daunting prospect of a lonely night at home.
½ February 8, 2016
this is a good movie
½ February 1, 2016
Not too bad of film.
January 20, 2016
Interesting cinematographic tricks and heartfelt performances keep it from feeling like passages of a book just read aloud.
December 22, 2015
Well didn't I just fall in love with this? What an unexpected treat. I'd avoided it because my Mother told me it was rubbish. She's got a screw lose. Colin Firth impresses me more often than he used to. It's justice to see him in a role that the British upper classes aren't masturbating over.
December 21, 2015
While watching films, more often then enough I find quotes sticking with me equally as much as visually or verbally impressive scenes, 'If one is not enjoying one's present, there isn't a great deal to suggest that the future should be any better', A phrase used by George Falconer, lead character of A Single Man, is one that I found myself reading over and relating to in a peculiar way. I first saw A Single Man with no information on it's creation, the only pieces of knowledge of the movie I had prior was it's featuring of Oscar winning actor Colin Firth. I finished watching the movie bedazzled by it's direction and the performances featured (Firth, Julianne Moore and Nicholas Hoult). But yet it's general beauty was what stuck with me the most, the colours featured in this movie are tremendous and it became no surprise to me following the realization that Tom Ford of Gucci Fame was the director. The story is that of a depressed middle aged man, distraught by the loss of his male partner 8 months prior, and revolves around George's possibly last day and is presented as being through the eyes of a man tired by the need to live, with the viewers seeing what he sees in a rich coloured way, a way only viewed by someone diminished by the idea of his present, wanting to see everything in it's most beautiful sense for the last time.
½ December 17, 2015
Simply put, this is one of the most haunting films I have ever seen.
½ December 13, 2015
A beautifully filmed and well crafted movie, A Single Man is an often heartbreaking look at love and loss with a stirring performance from Colin Firth, on the edge of death before finding love again. I loved the visual symbolism throughout the film, clips of him drowning and when the color returns to his face every time he's with someone and when he's alone hes dulled and gray.