127 Hours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

127 Hours Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
"127 Hours" stays true to its real-life story by presenting it in a very raw and deep direction while showcasing James Franco's marvelous performance who captures the experience of this event.
December 22, 2016
A journey through fears and dreams. An idea of extreme and intense film to the end.
December 20, 2016
Boyle seems to care only about his own direction, as he invests in a heavy-handed, tumultuous approach, using everything from pointless subjective cameras to split screens, but leaves the story without a clear purpose. What saves the film, though, is Franco's strong performance.
December 18, 2016
A masterpiece with some of the best directing ever.
November 2, 2016
The documentary online is better.
½ November 2, 2016
Made me cry like a baby and made me hide under my hoodie cause damn that man has guts
October 17, 2016
A neat and unique mix of extreme facial close-ups and of course the representation of the tension and grieving nightmare (or nightmares) that he had to live through. This was a pretty good epic portraying the tragic 2003 event and Franco, on his non-funny side, shows off his character in that sense, while also including some up-beat personalities on his comedic side. While some of it was fairly graphic, it's spiritual look, serious portrayal, and some fun little montages all mix well into it to feature this scary, but true event.
October 16, 2016
Nice film about a man journey to survive in the mountains
½ October 12, 2016
Based on the true survival story, "127 Hours" is a gripping cinematic endurance test.
October 9, 2016
James Franco's best performance.
½ October 4, 2016
It can drag a little at times, but all in all, this is a very well-directed and inspirational movie, containing some of the most grisly scenes ever put into film.
October 1, 2016
This is one of my favorite films and hands down Franco's best performance. It's a moving film about one mans will to survive.
½ October 1, 2016
Based on an incredible true story, Danny Boyle delivers a film with an outstanding performance from James Franco that will most likely leave it's viewer in relieving tears.
October 1, 2016
Not sure what to think of this movie. The dream sequences throughout made the film a bit bizarre. Well acted. The last fifteen minutes do make the movie and a uplifting.
September 21, 2016
James Franco conveys the true-life story of Aron Ralston, a passionate outdoorsman who survives five-plus days trapped in a crevice with his right arm pinned between boulder and Earth. Director Danny Boyle's filmmaking is unexpectedly creative, using the down time of so much isolation to fill us in on Ralston's personal life via fever dreams and life-flashing hallucinations. Open-hearted and playful on the surface, our mountaineer has plenty of demons. And thus, through a lot of soul-searching, this becomes a life-turning moment for him in more than just a physical sense. The scenes leading up to Ralston's eventual escape (by means I expect you'll already know) are among the most raw, tooth-gritting bits I've ever experienced; truly stirring, hyper-empathic filmmaking. Franco is asked to do a lot with very little help, acting solo for a good 75% of the film, and he blossoms, flashing acting chops that I didn't know he had in him. We see desperation, fury, defeat, mania, regret and much more, often through expression and physical acting alone, and it all comes across as absolutely genuine. Not as deep and enveloping as Into the Wild, as existential as The Grey or as flashy as Gravity, it safely finds its own unique nook in the survival subgenre and stands on those merits.
September 17, 2016
To not break down emotionally during Aron's final camcorder confessional is to be among the world's most cynical robots. To not as he screams "I need help" after having made his escape from the canyon and noticed a family of hikers -- and over the wrenching bellows of Sigur Ros' "Festival" -- is to be dead.
September 13, 2016
Within the confines of a small crevice in the canyons of Utah, Danny Boyle brings a remarkable story of survival back to life with fantastic direction and James Franco's best performance yet.
½ September 10, 2016
Loved this movie! Very inspiring. A great performance by James Franco.
September 4, 2016
Franco's performance as a scared, reflective adventurer hits viewers right in the heart, even if the material lacks a compelling plot.