12 Years a Slave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

12 Years a Slave Reviews

February 7, 2019
almost perfect movie
acting was great
camera work was perfect and chilling at times
character development is amazing and emotional to watch
the movie could feel slow, some people might say certain scenes were drawn out. for the most part the pacing of the movie was good
the effects of the movie are very realistic, so realistic that you sit there wondering why humans are such a shtty species
this movie does a good job of showing what people went through, very emotional
½ February 6, 2019
This movie totally missed me on the emotional level that so many people got to and the filmmakers tried to reach. The central character that we follow throughout the film does not at all have enough productive screen time to get in his head and understand the torment that we are seeing. This film is really a lot of seeing things happening and rarely ever trying to get the audience to feel what is happening (with the exception of one great scene involving a mother being split up from her children). However, the technical mastery behind the set designs, very patient precise editing, and a very superb handling of some vicious sequences were enough to suck me and pleasantly experience the unpleasant. It was clear that every scene had such a precise setup to show the harshness of these times. So overall, for me, it was a pretty solid watch that didn‚(TM)t invest me enough emotionally to make me want to revisit it again.
February 2, 2019
No doubt a very tough watch, but a necessary watch, 12 Years A Slave showcases slavery at its worst making for a deeply heartbreaking yet extremely necessary and flawless watch creating a strong, impactful and brilliant movie that is amongst the best movies of the 2010s, with a mesmorizing starring performance by Chiwetel Ejiofor as Solomon Northup.
December 30, 2018
Grateful a thoughtful script and movie were made to begin to form the audio-video body of work about the role of slavery in America, American history on the real, and what it really means to be Black in America. Difficult to be entertained by harsh historical events, but it is important for Americans to learn to take their blinders off so that we can become an informed nation that confidently embraces the potency of our democratic heritage as a nation.
December 26, 2018
(95/100)
12 Years a Slave is a masterpiece. Steve McQueen is able to bring a heart wrenching story about the brutality of slavery while being able to give the characters a real personality. Overall just a beautiful movie about something horrific.
December 25, 2018
Great movie and the acting is great
½ December 16, 2018
Great! Definitely deserved the acclaim. Brought slavery to a very real place for many people. So many scenes have stuck in my mind since I first saw it. Great acting, powerful film.
December 15, 2018
Exceptional performances and the sheer gravity of the content keep this slightly meandering period piece on course.
December 4, 2018
Powerful and very well acted. Definitely a must see.
December 1, 2018
While Django Unchained (2012) is the best of the slavery films, what's amazing about 12 Years a Slave is that it's based on an amazing and touching true story. And the film doesn't restrain itself from realistic brutality, showing us a in-your-face period of merciless American history. The events and locations are accurate, the cinematography gives it a realistic feeling to it too, and Chiwetel Ejiofor gives a very strong and memorable performance, with the supporting golden cast of Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Fassbender and even Brad Pitt all making this a great flick. Overall, this will become a future classic for sure, and indeed deserves its Academy Award for Best Picture, among others. Recommended !!
November 28, 2018
This movie was a very funny comedy, i didnt think of it as the comedy type. Overall good movie!!
½ October 27, 2018
Great movie, it reveals shows the true nature behind slavery, and why it's a sin America, or any other country can make again.
October 25, 2018
I still get goosebumps when I watch this movie, it is incredible. rewatch it again using boxxy software
October 16, 2018
I watched this movie on boxxy software and it was saddest thing I ever seen in my life...Definitely worth watching movie!!
October 1, 2018
Steve McQueen's best movie.

12 Years a Slave (2013) is a harrowing account of a man wrongly kidnapped and forced into slavery. It is a touching story that will engage you until the end, infuriate you at the injustice he faced, and enrage you at the general apathy or purposeful cruelty of white people. 12 Years a Slave is more than a film, it is an important historical depiction of an often forgotten aspect of slavery's atrocities. You will learn something while also being enthralled at the monstrous way white men and women treat black people.

Steve McQueen's direction is fascinating. He does not hold your hand and explain each detail, but rather forces you to watch it all unfold as it dawns on you what has happened. McQueen uses intimate close up shots to display the agony and despair slaves felt with a sincere tastefulness without showing too much violence to reach beyond the pale. This is not torture as entertainment, but a recreation of real events to educate general audiences about the illegal selling of slaves by capturing free men and women. McQueen takes the natural surroundings to make real settings, period accurate clothing and accents, and detailed cinematography to optimal empathy. After all, 12 Years a Slave is essentially about empathy. We need to see these crimes in order to understand the depths of depravity that humanity is capable of without good people to stand against their racism.

Among all the excellent acting in 12 Years a Slave, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Lupita Nyong'o give all time brilliant and passionate performances. They make you feel such profound sadness while watching 12 Years a Slave. They deserve all the praise they have received for their respective role.

Overall, 12 Years a Slave will be looked back as an upsetting classic of cinema. Yes, it is hard to watch. Yes, it is disturbing. Yes, it is important. Finally, yes, it is true. Give 12 Years a Slave your time.
September 24, 2018
Great performances all around. That's all I'm going to say about this one.
September 14, 2018
12 Years a Slave is well intentioned and well acted, but ultimately comes off more as a montage of bad things happening to a slave than a 12 year story.
August 19, 2018
How ridiculous. The idea that this is an "uncomfortable" look at slavery is ludicrous. How could it possibly be more comfortable. Completely sentimentalize and without nuance or intellectual integrity. A truly ridiculous representation of slavery. But you have Brad Pitt as your white savior. A ridiculous movie for simple minds.
½ July 30, 2018
A indictment of slavery and all of its evil. Many of its practices are still being used to this day by taking away children from their parents at the border.
½ July 9, 2018
Desgarradora,Conmovedora y Completamente humanizada,Este film logra por mucho ser una de las historias mas Crudas cuando de esclavitud se habla,Su gran guion logra trascender al actor Chiwetel Ejiofor como un gran talento el cual tiene mucho que mostrar ,sin claramente hablar de el talento que logra sacar de la increŪble lupita nyong'o,una Brillante cinta que trascenderŠ por el tiempo como una de las historia mas Desgarradoras y Conmovedoras del cine.