12 Years a Slave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

12 Years a Slave Reviews

January 16, 2017
12 years of slave is a masterpiece, it's a really great movie, in my opinion it's the best movie of 2013 and the best movie about slavery ever, I highly recommend it to everyone in the world
½ January 14, 2017
Pales largely in comparison to 'Gravity'.
½ December 30, 2016
Can be a difficult film to watch at times. Ultimately, I disliked the fact that it focused so much on one person's story and not the overall theme of slavery. Sure *SPOILER ALERT* Solomon got his freedom back in the end, but what about the millions who didn't? Somehow this film minimized the slavery aspect for me which lessened the affect of the whole film on me.
December 24, 2016
It is not very clear what McQueen wants with this unflinching but detached story of survival, as he throws together scenes of brutal realism with theatrical dialogue, cartoonish villains and a plot that seems more interested in the torture than offering any new insight into the subject.
December 15, 2016
This movie is absolutely incredible. Unbelievable story and fantastic acting.
December 13, 2016
Today is December 14 2016 and this is my first time watching this movie even though it was publish in 2013. I was scared to watch this movie because i had seeing movies about slavery. I felt like most movie if life as a slavery is not accurate but 12 years of slave made me see the brutally our people when through. I would recommend this movie to anyone to see. I will advice american people to take a look at this movie and see what we donor want to go back into especially with our new president in 2017.
½ December 9, 2016
pretty harrowing. some great performances. rather glad when it was over
December 7, 2016
Performance of the actors and actress is just magnificent. The way director keeps distance from characters to audience makes it even more brilliant.
November 30, 2016
After Benedict Cumberbatch's place, until Brad Pitt came in, I was pretty bored. It didn't completely suck, but it wasn't as good as the rest. Especially in the beginning, with a great score that I felt really worked when it played and added to scenes, editing that was fantastic, and great cinematography including a few single shot scenes that were brilliant (those happened all throughout.) But the whole movie has a great performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor, really great performances from (I think underrated) Benedict Cumberbatch, Brad Pitt, and Paul Dano, decent direction, and writing that isn't bad or anything, but I was surprised that it won the Oscar. It also had some humor (I'm pretty sure it was on purpose because the writer has previously co-wrote Undercover Brother and created the Barbershop series.) I also liked Paul Giamatti for the little he was in there. The story is great, and I think is what mostly holds this all together, and makes it fresh.
½ November 30, 2016
'12 Years a Slave' is an excellent adaptation of the book of the same name with tremendous acting, sharp directing, and a keen sense of direction. It's viciously violent and sad and all the things you would expect from the horrifying history of slavery in America.
November 26, 2016
This was very slow and boring movie. I wouldn't watch it again nor recommend it.
November 25, 2016
I can't see how this movie got all the oscars it did because it lacked a full script and an engaging character. Neither did the movie do justice to the full extent of brutality that the people experienced during that time. It was such a bare bones account.
November 24, 2016
Not worthy Of Oscar BP
November 17, 2016
Prior to this film's release, the build-up and promotion was relatively quiet, especially here in the UK, however I had my eye set on the project from the start, with McQueen directing, music from Zimmer and a cast of unbelievable talent, I had high hopes. Upon viewing this film, I was swept away in a force of emotional awe, this movie is the epitome of the "modern masterpiece."

Every year, we see that one film that tries to induce an emotional attachment, from the likes of 'Million Dollar Baby' through to 'Slumdog Millionaire', however there are also those that try a little too hard and instead create a certain cringe-worthy appeal to the film, completely disregarding plot and structure for a few tearful moments. But then there are those masterpieces, the film that contains a plot, it contains an actual character we can relate to, someone we feel an emotional attachment to without having it rubbed in our faces, '12 Years a Slave' is that film.

This is not an easy film to watch, but upon doing so, there's that sense of relief; the relief you get upon viewing one of the finest films of the 21st century, if not of all time. Not another remake or sequel, but something of true original value. The story is just perfect, the unbelievable tale of a man whose life was taken away as he was forced to spend 12 years working as a slave for white masters, and for those who had never heard of Solomon Northup, upon realising this is a true story, their disbelief and shock becomes apparent. The performances are fantastic, with newcomer Chiwetel Ejiofor starring as the fateful Solomon. Each actor perfectly portraying the embodiment of evil or innocent, with a huge shout out to Fassbender for his truly terrifying performance as the ruthless Edwin Epps. With flawless direction, a stunningly emotional score (that many compare to 'Inception') and gorgeous cinematography. '12 Years a Slave' might just be the perfect film.
½ November 15, 2016
The harsh realities of slavery are impressively portrayed throughout.
½ November 6, 2016
Deserved all the Oscars it did get , i did give a small applaus at home , livin alone . A most see !!
Seen for the second time ....stays great ! SOMDVD
November 5, 2016
moving and difficult watch
October 21, 2016
Amazing film and beautifully directed to show an insight to the real history.
October 14, 2016
It is stories like this that show you how fucked up humans have treated each other for thousands of years. It's only recently we have created the concept of 'human rights'. I very much recommend this movie. A++
October 13, 2016
Best interpretation of what slavery was like