12 Years a Slave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

12 Years a Slave Reviews

May 23, 2017
Great film but a tough watch. Be warned
May 15, 2017
Very brutal for this to happen and that it took so many years for him to be freed. But also I find it's quite a cliff hanger to leave patsey's remaining story untold.
May 9, 2017
Painful and difficult to watch but a masterpiece in cinematography, acting, and in depicting a time when hell was walking on Earth.
May 5, 2017
This was very hard to watch. I was expecting this to be dramatic, but I wasn't expecting it to be so intense. Everyone truly gave an oscar worthy performance.
½ May 4, 2017
Boring and overrated. I didn't care for the main character, Solomon Northup. He was only concerned with slavery when it affected him. That is realistic, but doesn't make for a good movie. (First and only viewing - 8/29/2014)
May 2, 2017
too distressful to watch... but it was great... humans suck :'(
½ April 29, 2017
a must see movie!! very heart breaking. the acting is very very solid. very very good movie!!!!!
½ April 28, 2017
Hard to watch at times but a brilliant movie.
April 23, 2017
Truly a wonderful film, one of the greatest films about slavery.
½ April 18, 2017
Great movie. It features beautiful direction from McQueen, an emotional story and powerful performances from its cast, especially Ejiofor, N'Yongo, Fassbender and Giamatti, but it moves slow in moments and lacks the feeling of the passing of time.
April 16, 2017
Okay movie. I dread African stories and pains being channeled to Europeans for monetary reasons(his wife). But it was an okay movie nothing I haven't seen before
April 11, 2017
A story about a free black man who is kidnapped and re-sold into slavery during the mid 1800's. Really well acted. But I thought the story was a bit dull. I've seen this before in better movies. It needed a lot more for me to care about.
April 10, 2017
Yeah Hup is used as se
½ April 7, 2017
A very powerful and brutally executed film that shows how incredibly horrible American slavery truly was. Fantastic performances make this movie a realistic period piece showing but a glimpse into America's horrendous past.
March 21, 2017
Despite the harrowing subject matter, I did not feel invested in the main character or his struggles. It felt like it was made for winning awards rather than entertaining an audience.
March 6, 2017
Truth is that we (the viewers) never engage with the protagonist's troubled life events, we never feel empathic with him. Why is that? Because his character never develops, never change throughout the movie. All the experiences he has to endure are useless to his growth and ultimately feel pointless. When the main character does not mature during the movie, the movie feels empty and cold.
February 28, 2017
Heartbreaking, and possibly the best movie of the century, so far.
February 26, 2017
Brutal and fantastic movie.
February 24, 2017
Probably the best film of 2014, 12 Years a Slave has an amazing script, based on a true story, incredible acting, especially by it's lead, and tells an important story, making it a must-see.