12 Years a Slave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

12 Years a Slave Reviews

½ October 27, 2018
Great movie, it reveals shows the true nature behind slavery, and why it's a sin America, or any other country can make again.
October 25, 2018
I still get goosebumps when I watch this movie, it is incredible. rewatch it again using boxxy software
October 16, 2018
I watched this movie on boxxy software and it was saddest thing I ever seen in my life...Definitely worth watching movie!!
October 1, 2018
Steve McQueen's best movie.

12 Years a Slave (2013) is a harrowing account of a man wrongly kidnapped and forced into slavery. It is a touching story that will engage you until the end, infuriate you at the injustice he faced, and enrage you at the general apathy or purposeful cruelty of white people. 12 Years a Slave is more than a film, it is an important historical depiction of an often forgotten aspect of slavery's atrocities. You will learn something while also being enthralled at the monstrous way white men and women treat black people.

Steve McQueen's direction is fascinating. He does not hold your hand and explain each detail, but rather forces you to watch it all unfold as it dawns on you what has happened. McQueen uses intimate close up shots to display the agony and despair slaves felt with a sincere tastefulness without showing too much violence to reach beyond the pale. This is not torture as entertainment, but a recreation of real events to educate general audiences about the illegal selling of slaves by capturing free men and women. McQueen takes the natural surroundings to make real settings, period accurate clothing and accents, and detailed cinematography to optimal empathy. After all, 12 Years a Slave is essentially about empathy. We need to see these crimes in order to understand the depths of depravity that humanity is capable of without good people to stand against their racism.

Among all the excellent acting in 12 Years a Slave, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Lupita Nyong'o give all time brilliant and passionate performances. They make you feel such profound sadness while watching 12 Years a Slave. They deserve all the praise they have received for their respective role.

Overall, 12 Years a Slave will be looked back as an upsetting classic of cinema. Yes, it is hard to watch. Yes, it is disturbing. Yes, it is important. Finally, yes, it is true. Give 12 Years a Slave your time.
September 24, 2018
Great performances all around. That's all I'm going to say about this one.
September 14, 2018
12 Years a Slave is well intentioned and well acted, but ultimately comes off more as a montage of bad things happening to a slave than a 12 year story.
August 19, 2018
How ridiculous. The idea that this is an "uncomfortable" look at slavery is ludicrous. How could it possibly be more comfortable. Completely sentimentalize and without nuance or intellectual integrity. A truly ridiculous representation of slavery. But you have Brad Pitt as your white savior. A ridiculous movie for simple minds.
½ July 30, 2018
A indictment of slavery and all of its evil. Many of its practices are still being used to this day by taking away children from their parents at the border.
½ July 9, 2018
Desgarradora,Conmovedora y Completamente humanizada,Este film logra por mucho ser una de las historias mas Crudas cuando de esclavitud se habla,Su gran guion logra trascender al actor Chiwetel Ejiofor como un gran talento el cual tiene mucho que mostrar ,sin claramente hablar de el talento que logra sacar de la increíble lupita nyong'o,una Brillante cinta que trascenderá por el tiempo como una de las historia mas Desgarradoras y Conmovedoras del cine.
July 1, 2018
best fim ever about slavery, sadness but happy ending :)
June 19, 2018
Powerful, horrifying and, aside for its instant reactionary content, it was so well directed, it has to win many Oscars. If American Hustle wins anything over 12 Years a Slave, the Oscars are a farce.
June 18, 2018
The critics can say what they want. This movie was just another excuse to display shocking, unnecessary, gratuitous personal violence, while all but ignoring the real story told by the book. McQueen goes on my list of obviously sadistic pigs to avoid, along with tarantino and Gibson.
½ June 5, 2018
A film that overflowed with depression but sometimes uplifting. The story based on a true story focuses on a free black man who is abducted into slavery, the life he has to relish in is so difficult and full of tyranny. I really like the role of Michael Fassbender who became the most fraud who ever existed and Chiwetel Ejiofor with his character full of someone with no hope at all. There are some famous actors like Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, and Brad Pitt despite they just have a little role. Lupita Nyong'o also won an Oscar with her brilliant acting but a misleading title that became my predicament because I didn't feel the slightest of "12 years." But I understand how Steve McQueen wants to introduce this movie to everyone.
June 3, 2018
Wasn't at all comfortable watching it, but can't move my eyes from the screen for a minute. Knowing that it is an autobiography added some extra zing.
April 29, 2018
Captivating, emotional, and infuriating.
½ April 25, 2018
Watch this movie. 12 Years a Slave knows how to play your emotions, tell a great yet tragic story, introduce deep characters, and be a successful movie.
½ April 12, 2018
faithful to the memoir almost to the letter, but one can only wish it endowed the sense of a perpetual nightmare and deep despair expatiated by it. it's bountiful in moments of respite, but we never feel it has been 12 years of brutal, repetitious toil to contrast this. but it does suffice justice to the book: mcqueen is a clearly intelligent, masterful director and the acting succeeds beyond expectation.
March 23, 2018
Raw and stunningly powerful, Steve McQueen's turn to directing pays off spectacularly, with an emotionally resonant story, real and unflinching performances, and beautiful score proving that this is truly a Best Picture winner for years to come.
½ March 17, 2018