1408 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1408 Reviews

September 1, 2018
Good writing, good acting and overall a great movie. 1408 is a must see.
August 17, 2018
Great to find an original ending as well as an alternative ending.
August 11, 2018
Scariest movie everywhere
August 5, 2018
Horror without the gore
August 4, 2018
eh. there's a lot of good in this movie. but overall i didn't care for it. not scary, which i didn't expect it to be. and the story was interesting for a while (2 viewings)

SPOILERS

...but finished on a very weak note, in both the theatrical version and directors cut. i prefer theatrical, but they're both pretty dumb.
July 11, 2018
This is a great little horror movie and if you enjoy haunted house films this would be right up your alley. John Cusack plays a ghost hunter and he checks into the dolphin hotel smack in the middle of New York City for a new assignment. Samuel L Jackson plays the hotel manager and warns him against it. What follows is a nice take on the haunted house genre. Featuring some genuine creeps and buoyed by the legitimate names 108 is a nice excursion into the supernatural.
½ July 7, 2018
For a scary movie to be scary, you have to actually care what happens to the characters. Maybe it was John Cuzack's acting, maybe the writing, or a combination of both, but I couldn't get myself to really care enough. The sad moments and memories of his daughter didn't really help either. The false ending led you up the garden path tho, and there were some genuine scary moments. It just tended to drag for a fair bit of the movie.
March 4, 2018
I had just got done rewatching this particular physcological thriller.The VERY end of the movie with Morgan Freeman had checked out John Cusacks personnel belongings and he had "heard," strange things on his recorder and Morgan Freeman had a reaction to it, I am confused by it.What does this movie suppose to represent? John Cusack had taken his own life because he could NOT bare the thought of lodsing his one and only child and a "demon" drove him into despare and dilusion and than suicide so that he can be with his one and only child?Please,will someone help explain this plot?Thank you.Other wise the movie is not too bad.The directors need to make a part two having to deal with his wife and his friend,Until next time.PEACE BE WITH YOU ALL!
January 16, 2018
Absolutely love this movie. Only got four stars cause I rarely give 5 lol but was a great movie and i love the mental tortoure that the room puts him through. Especially when it convinces him he is out only to show him it was just a big trick.
January 5, 2018
A chilling and intense entertaining horror movie!
December 19, 2017
Puntaje original: 6.5

A pesar del notorio esfuerzo para plasmar el thriller psicológico en una impecable narración; 1408 no alcanza el nivel cinematográfico para conectar al espectador en una inmersiva experiencia del terror.
November 29, 2017
A creepy haunted-house story having an average performance by John cussack...
½ October 24, 2017
Don't let this adaptation of Stephen King's 1999 short story fool you - this is no ordinary ghost story. For "1408" is not just "scary" in the normative sense. This is a movie that is terrifying on a very cerebral, existential, and even metaphysical level. To say that the movie "entertained" me would be quite the understatement. What's present is such a multi-layered and endlessly fascinating deconstruction of humanity's perception of things that we take for granted (like time, space, place, etc.) and other things like loss, grief, and fear. It's a magnificently staged film with a powerful central set of thematics and a devoted performance from John Cusack. Definitely one of the more notable Stephen King adaptations I've seen.
October 1, 2017
Today's choice came about when I met a couple of friends, it was between 1408, Paranomal activity and Nightcrawler. I couldn't fault the choice, having seen 1408 before.

The film starts off with a sceptical guy, who travels around testing out the validity of haunted places. Which leads him to room 1408, a room that even the hotel manager is afraid of. From here on it becomes a psychological thriller, always keeping you on the edge of your seat. The shear amount of incidents in the aforementioned room let me know from the start that it would be a roller coaster.

1408 has 4 different endings, there's something for everyone, from the happy ending, to the traumatic. I fount the ending we saw to be one of the best, to save any spoilers, the more traumatic ending. As endings to horror films go it was alright, but personally as a ending to a film in general, it wasn't great. I feel they should have spent there time making one solid ending, rather than 4 rough ones.

As with the majority of the films I have seen, it was a great experience. I'd recommend 1408 to anyone who likes psychological thrillers and jumpy horror movies.
September 23, 2017
1408's plot ends up getting lost in a sea full of desperate and necessity of tangle the spectator, however its undeniable the outstanding cast's performances with John Cusack standing out. Furthermore, the visual effects are astonishing, the premise is original and the plot is breathless.
½ September 15, 2017
1408 knows how to create good thrills, but doesn't quite reach the level of intensity that it likely is reaching for, nonetheless it is recommendable. John Cusack and Sam Jackson both are really good here, Cusack especially, in a performance that demands talent or the film likely flops. The storyline is solid, we learn quite a bit about Cusacks character and it's very interesting. There is quite a few of effectively chilling scenes, but after a little bit, it feels like we're watching things unfold with little rhyme or reason other than to provide some entertainment that isn't always warranted. However, 1408 succeeds much more often to entertain than it fails to, and I will say I enjoyed this thriller with what I consider to have pacing issues
September 10, 2017
Puntaje original: 6.5

½ September 10, 2017
Loving Stephen King is a great thing, but it is also risky for many of his movies are...not the best. However, this film is one of the good ones, having a great story, great characters, a scary atmosphere, and the fact that it plays with your mind. 1408 is a great thriller, and it even has a few scares.
August 15, 2017
1408 is good, so good, the main character is relatable, a great performance by John Cusack, this is a example of what horror movies should be.
The Room itself is as much of a character as the protagonist.
Its a Mystery, Suspense filled psychological horror movie, that will fuck with your mind.
The movie gives me more of a Silent hill vibe than any of the silent hill movies.
Take notes people making those movies!
August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.