1408 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1408 Reviews

August 15, 2017
1408 is good, so good, the main character is relatable, a great performance by John Cusack, this is a example of what horror movies should be.
The Room itself is as much of a character as the protagonist.
Its a Mystery, Suspense filled psychological horror movie, that will fuck with your mind.
The movie gives me more of a Silent hill vibe than any of the silent hill movies.
Take notes people making those movies!
August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
August 10, 2017
1408's plot ends up getting lost in a sea full of desperate and necessity of tangle the spectator, however its undeniable the outstanding cast's performances with John Cusack standing out. Furthermore, the visual effects were astonishing, the premise is original and the plot is breathless.
August 7, 2017
Truly disturbing in some places, staying loyal to the Stephen King story and my expectations of mind-bending terror.
August 7, 2017
A well-crafted haunted house story that favors paranoia and psychological terror over cheap scares and genre clichés.
July 23, 2017
Pretty good movie. The plot was good and how everything played out.
½ July 20, 2017
The first half of this movie is really well put together. However, the second half seems to lose focus and is more frustrating than anything else. This movie had a really good idea behind it, but the ending kind of kills the momentum.
July 12, 2017
IT was so good. I laughed, I cried, I was on my seat. It was perfect. I loved the twists and turns. I'd see it again for sure.
July 4, 2017
Mikael Hafstroms adaptation of the Stephen King short story "1408" is a good reminder for modern day horror film makers, it shows that big budget studio horror doesn't have to be dull and lazy. While 1408 isn't a perfect film by any means, the films script has some heart, a strong performance by John Cusack, and the interesting ways Hafstrom uses the hotel and the room itself (the window mimicking scene is a highlight) keeps the film feeling just fresh, and creative enough. Despite the sometimes sluggish pace, lack of anything truly scary, and a kind've pointless use of Samuel Jackson, 1408 is still interesting, compelling, and well acted psychological/supernatural horror.
½ July 4, 2017
A nice subdued little horror film with a good performance by John Cusack and more of an emphasis on psychological intrigue than tired horror cliches.
July 2, 2017
A claustrophobic horror that chills you to the bone. The acting is superb as Cusack makes you feel like you're in the room with him. You can't help but follow along with him, from skeptic to victim. Samuel L Jackson is great as the voice of reason.
It's a treat to finally have a 2nd Stephen King adaptation work out (Misery). 1408 relies on psychological, supernatural and unbelievable special effects to deliver scares. A welcome change from the recent deluge of $#!+ labelled as horror. This is an old-school horror film, that feels like a classic, aside from the few special effects which successfully take it over the top. It's very scary and will likely make you jolt more than a few times.
June 27, 2017
1408 is a fairly good psychological horror movie, although I would count this more as psychological than a horror movie. The plot is nearly empty, no real special twists or anything but it is suspenseful. It really tries too hard to be a ghost story though. Don't come in here expecting some action horror movie, this is very slow paced which is what I like about it, leaves you wondering "what's going on". The plot twists in here I wouldn't really consider plot twists as you could see them coming from a mile away.
June 25, 2017
This adaptation of Stephen King's short story about a writer trapped in the titular Jumanji-esque hotel room is a colossal mess of wall-to-wall cuckoo jump scares.
½ June 16, 2017
I absolutely love this film! But .. you have to view the theatrical version, the other versions just fall short. John Cusack's one man show is superb. Everything stitches together perfectly even down to the soundtrack. It's disturbing, frightening, and dramatic. I recommend this movie!
June 8, 2017
Wow, After this movie. I Am Left Breathless....I was consumed by this film... As You Are, I was....As I Am, You Will Be
½ June 1, 2017
Great psychological thriller/horror movie! Lots of chilling scenes and a great twist ending. One of my favorite scary movies.
May 29, 2017
Based on the reviews i watched it. Had potential but after about 30 mins you could see the film makers were trying to do too much. Think it would have benefited from a low budget. In horror less is more.
May 19, 2017
Wringing a seemingly endless amount of gripping psychological horror out of its confined setting, 1408 rises on the strength of a mesmerizing John Cusack performance to deliver a nightmarish excursion driven by a gleefully unnerving atmosphere and hallucinogenic visuals that carry great dramatic metaphor.
½ May 18, 2017
Starts off as a pretty good horror film and then the ending happens.
April 23, 2017
this movie was awesome i loved it