1408 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1408 Reviews

April 23, 2017
this movie was awesome i loved it
½ April 22, 2017
Very good overall with a few week scenes here and there.
April 9, 2017
John Cusack is so good in this movie. He plays a writer who goes from hotel to hotel debunking horror stories for his books. This particular hotel, the Dolphin, is one that isn't a lie. I really liked it. There were actually 2 endings and the producers decided to chose the happy one where he survives. I liked the one where he dies more.
March 27, 2017
I gave this film a second look recently and i have to say that it's grown on me quite a bit, presumably knowing where it is going in the end goes a long ways towards letting the mild spooky bits work on your head. There aren't a ton of scares to be had, but the idea that items continue to move in rooms when you're not looking at them is very unsettling to me, and a trope that I really enjoy in a film.

Rental.
March 20, 2017
Possibly the best movie I have ever seen. It wasn't really scary but definitely creepy as the room knows everything about him. It was an outstanding performance by John Cusack as he really made the room come to life when he was playing the role of Mike Einslin
March 20, 2017
This thriller requires the viewer to enjoy ghost stories. I don't.
March 18, 2017
I'm seeing it tonight!
½ February 20, 2017
Good execution of a deeply flawed story. The film added some more elements to explain the halluciation Mike experiences, for a low budget film, it's not too bad, though there was virtually zero scare.
February 20, 2017
Excellent horror film with a great story and brilliant acting from John Cusack as the cocky writer of ghost stories, Mike Enslin and Samuel L Jackson, as Mr Olin, the cautious hotel manager of Dolphin Hotel who went to great lengths to dissuade Mike Enslin of foolhardiness. Entering 1408 at great peril to himself and a mess for Mr Olin to clean up afterwards. Never in the world would I expect the Carpenters classic nostalgia " We've only just begun" incongruously used as the recurring spooky and haunting song in the haunted room 1408. Not the typical haunted stories with macabre ghosts and blood bath. Rather it was the painful memories of Mike Enslin, his deceased daughter of cancer being the worst, that would plague Mike recurrently like 'Groundhog Day' that was the most hurtful and unbearable and ultimately his reason to check out of the hotel in a fiery inferno. The best scene was the playful banter between Mr Olin and Mr Mike, one trying to dissuade the other not to venture into the room. In the meantime, not only was Mikes curiosity heightened enormously to taste the forbidden fruit but also us the audience. It was a satisfying ending because Mike Enslin, for all his cockiness and scepticism, he did not survive room 1408.
February 20, 2017
Excellent horror film with a great story and brilliant acting from John Cusack as the cocky writer of ghost stories, Mike Enslin and Samuel L Jackson, as Mr Olin, the cautious hotel manager of Dolphin Hotel. Never in the world would I expect the Carpenters classic nostalgia " We've only just begun" incongruously used as the recurring spooky and haunting song in the haunted room 1408. Not the typical haunted stories with macabre ghosts. Rather it were the painful memories of Mike Enslin, his deceased daughter of cancer being the worst, that would plague Mike over and over again like 'groundhog day' that was the most hurtful and unbearable. The best scene was the playful banter between Mr Olin and Mr Mike, one trying to dissuade the other not to venture into the room. In the meantime, not only was Mikes curiosity heightened but also us audience.
February 18, 2017
A great psychological thriller
January 22, 2017
I never ever expected this movie to be so fucking scary, it's a masterpiece of horror work that just plays with your mind. With a great acting duo, John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson, 1408 is one hell of a great paranormal horror movie, full of disturbing sequences and there's a non stop feeling of paranoia. Another impressive movie based on a Stephen King novel. This is the true definition of a horror movie. Recommended !!
½ January 8, 2017
Al principio es muy lenta pero conforme avanza, la película demuestra ser una excelente adaptación de la obra de Stephen King
December 20, 2016
A fascinating watch, a thrilling modern ghost story..
December 19, 2016
Great film adaptation of a story of terror, with great directing, great acting and a small cast
December 13, 2016
The delicious suspense in this movie was all but tangible, and the psychological elements that this movie employs leaves you wondering what was really real when the end finally comes. It takes you from that tension of waiting for jump scares to screaming at the television for him to turn around and go faster and to not hide behind the chainsaws, but then drowns you in his own emotional hopeless and mania as he finally breaks into desperation.
The progression of his thoughts and mind into brokenness was perfectly illustrated in what ends up to be a golden example of psychological horror, while still appealing to lovers of all horror genres (except the horrid campy ones). A must see of those who wish to be asking themselves "what is reality?" every time a thought of this movie comes up.
December 1, 2016
An entertaining movie but it isn't as creepy as it wants to be and the ending is a bit ridiculous.
½ November 30, 2016
This could have been a smart psychological horror but instead feels sterile and pointless, missing the chance to explore the possibilities of its premise and the character's issues. Besides, it becomes repetitive after some time, even though John Cusack compensates with a strong performance.
November 11, 2016
Really makes you think...
September 13, 2016
Good horror film
That doesn't rely on typical jump scares or gore, it's actually a mental horror. And great acting by cusack.