1408 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1408 Reviews

January 16, 2018
Absolutely love this movie. Only got four stars cause I rarely give 5 lol but was a great movie and i love the mental tortoure that the room puts him through. Especially when it convinces him he is out only to show him it was just a big trick.
January 5, 2018
A chilling and intense entertaining horror movie!
December 19, 2017
Puntaje original: 6.5

A pesar del notorio esfuerzo para plasmar el thriller psicológico en una impecable narración; 1408 no alcanza el nivel cinematográfico para conectar al espectador en una inmersiva experiencia del terror.
November 29, 2017
A creepy haunted-house story having an average performance by John cussack...
½ October 24, 2017
Don't let this adaptation of Stephen King's 1999 short story fool you - this is no ordinary ghost story. For "1408" is not just "scary" in the normative sense. This is a movie that is terrifying on a very cerebral, existential, and even metaphysical level. To say that the movie "entertained" me would be quite the understatement. What's present is such a multi-layered and endlessly fascinating deconstruction of humanity's perception of things that we take for granted (like time, space, place, etc.) and other things like loss, grief, and fear. It's a magnificently staged film with a powerful central set of thematics and a devoted performance from John Cusack. Definitely one of the more notable Stephen King adaptations I've seen.
October 1, 2017
Today's choice came about when I met a couple of friends, it was between 1408, Paranomal activity and Nightcrawler. I couldn't fault the choice, having seen 1408 before.

The film starts off with a sceptical guy, who travels around testing out the validity of haunted places. Which leads him to room 1408, a room that even the hotel manager is afraid of. From here on it becomes a psychological thriller, always keeping you on the edge of your seat. The shear amount of incidents in the aforementioned room let me know from the start that it would be a roller coaster.

1408 has 4 different endings, there's something for everyone, from the happy ending, to the traumatic. I fount the ending we saw to be one of the best, to save any spoilers, the more traumatic ending. As endings to horror films go it was alright, but personally as a ending to a film in general, it wasn't great. I feel they should have spent there time making one solid ending, rather than 4 rough ones.

As with the majority of the films I have seen, it was a great experience. I'd recommend 1408 to anyone who likes psychological thrillers and jumpy horror movies.
September 23, 2017
1408's plot ends up getting lost in a sea full of desperate and necessity of tangle the spectator, however its undeniable the outstanding cast's performances with John Cusack standing out. Furthermore, the visual effects are astonishing, the premise is original and the plot is breathless.
½ September 15, 2017
1408 knows how to create good thrills, but doesn't quite reach the level of intensity that it likely is reaching for, nonetheless it is recommendable. John Cusack and Sam Jackson both are really good here, Cusack especially, in a performance that demands talent or the film likely flops. The storyline is solid, we learn quite a bit about Cusacks character and it's very interesting. There is quite a few of effectively chilling scenes, but after a little bit, it feels like we're watching things unfold with little rhyme or reason other than to provide some entertainment that isn't always warranted. However, 1408 succeeds much more often to entertain than it fails to, and I will say I enjoyed this thriller with what I consider to have pacing issues
September 10, 2017
Puntaje original: 6.5

½ September 10, 2017
Loving Stephen King is a great thing, but it is also risky for many of his movies are...not the best. However, this film is one of the good ones, having a great story, great characters, a scary atmosphere, and the fact that it plays with your mind. 1408 is a great thriller, and it even has a few scares.
August 15, 2017
1408 is good, so good, the main character is relatable, a great performance by John Cusack, this is a example of what horror movies should be.
The Room itself is as much of a character as the protagonist.
Its a Mystery, Suspense filled psychological horror movie, that will fuck with your mind.
The movie gives me more of a Silent hill vibe than any of the silent hill movies.
Take notes people making those movies!
August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
August 7, 2017
Truly disturbing in some places, staying loyal to the Stephen King story and my expectations of mind-bending terror.
August 7, 2017
A well-crafted haunted house story that favors paranoia and psychological terror over cheap scares and genre clichés.
July 23, 2017
Pretty good movie. The plot was good and how everything played out.
½ July 20, 2017
The first half of this movie is really well put together. However, the second half seems to lose focus and is more frustrating than anything else. This movie had a really good idea behind it, but the ending kind of kills the momentum.
July 12, 2017
IT was so good. I laughed, I cried, I was on my seat. It was perfect. I loved the twists and turns. I'd see it again for sure.
July 4, 2017
Mikael Hafstroms adaptation of the Stephen King short story "1408" is a good reminder for modern day horror film makers, it shows that big budget studio horror doesn't have to be dull and lazy. While 1408 isn't a perfect film by any means, the films script has some heart, a strong performance by John Cusack, and the interesting ways Hafstrom uses the hotel and the room itself (the window mimicking scene is a highlight) keeps the film feeling just fresh, and creative enough. Despite the sometimes sluggish pace, lack of anything truly scary, and a kind've pointless use of Samuel Jackson, 1408 is still interesting, compelling, and well acted psychological/supernatural horror.
½ July 4, 2017
A nice subdued little horror film with a good performance by John Cusack and more of an emphasis on psychological intrigue than tired horror cliches.
July 2, 2017
A claustrophobic horror that chills you to the bone. The acting is superb as Cusack makes you feel like you're in the room with him. You can't help but follow along with him, from skeptic to victim. Samuel L Jackson is great as the voice of reason.
It's a treat to finally have a 2nd Stephen King adaptation work out (Misery). 1408 relies on psychological, supernatural and unbelievable special effects to deliver scares. A welcome change from the recent deluge of $#!+ labelled as horror. This is an old-school horror film, that feels like a classic, aside from the few special effects which successfully take it over the top. It's very scary and will likely make you jolt more than a few times.