1408 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1408 Reviews

August 23, 2016
One of the better adaptations to have come out
August 16, 2016
waiting to watch movie
August 13, 2016
This movie was a overall good movie. The movie is more a psychological movie than a horror movie from my view point. John Cusack is a good actor. I was a little disapointed because Samuel L. Jackson only had short role in the movie.
August 12, 2016
An average film adaptation of one of King's most average books.
August 12, 2016
Not the best Stephen King adaptation out there but still worth a watch.
August 1, 2016
A gripping physiological thriller that has many twists and turns. Completely underrated and should definitely be on your 'To Watch' list.
August 1, 2016
Mentally Physically heart racing thriller, Stephen King write other golden story, right up there with The Shining and Misery.
July 28, 2016
Not scary just trips you out psychological ok movie
July 15, 2016
Make sure to watch the theatrical/DVD version of the film and not the version that ends with Sam Jackson in a cemetery. That terrible alternate ending ruins the whole movie.

I love John Cusack, but don't love any of his movies - except this one. This type of haunting suspense from the perspective of the critical and relatable non-believer scares me the most. The scene at the window where he communicates with the shadow across the street is one of the scariest things I've ever seen!

This movie is very underrated and one of the best movies made from a Stephen King story.
½ June 27, 2016
I kept waiting for something good to happen. Guess it was in room 1407. :/
June 27, 2016
The film is different from the short story.  Rightly so, I mean there's only a little to build on in the story.  In the film, Mike Enslin (John Cusack) lost his daughter.  There's that whole family element as a background.  What I remember VIVIDLY are the paintings in room 1408.  They were there in all their glory.  I'm glad about that.  At one point in the movie Enslin gets out of 1408 (this doesn't happen in the story) and I was furious.  Furious!  They had me.  He never really got out.  Thanks goodness there.  I remember being more creeped out by the story maybe "because nothing is as good as you can imagine it."  In the end the film stayed true to the story. Disclaimer: I've always thought Cusack to be a very talented actor.  This movie only emphasizes that fact.  About ninety percent of the time Cusack was the only actor on the screen.  He had to carry this film.  My favorite part is when he is talking to mini Olin (the hotel manager, fucking Sam Jackson) in the mini fridge.  Only there is no one in the fridge (obviously) only drinks and snacks and Cusack screams frantically at the snacks.  I remember thinking "crazy."  Fantastic job Cusack. In the end think I'll recommend this.
June 23, 2016
It is too good to miss and too bad to say it is good!
½ June 16, 2016
Well-acted and claustrophobic.
May 31, 2016
1408 is a genuinely terrifying film boasted by the claustrophobic performance by John Cusack.
May 20, 2016
keeps you on the edge of your seat. made me really think how I would be in situation
May 19, 2016
Stylish on its scares, with great production design and Cusack's phenomenal performance, 1408 is underrated modern horror
½ May 15, 2016
1408 is based on the short story by Stephen King, directed by Mikael Häfström, and it stars John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson in psychological horror film about an author who writes ghost stories, despite the fact that he doesn't believe in them. He went to room 1408 because there was a postcard telling him not to go there, and when he stays there for a while, there's something supernatural going on in the room. In my house with my best friend, we were waiting for some of our friends for a school project, and my best friend asked me if we just watch a horror film so that we can wait on them. I was looking at three choices on my DirecTV whether it's this, The Ruins, or Altered States, and I couldn't think of a decision of it because I haven't seen any of them. So I looked up the trailers for them, and I decided that we should watch 1408 on my DirecTV list, and my best friend managed to watch almost all of it until our friends got here and we start doing the project which after when it's done, everybody left, and I watched the remaining part of the film and tell my best friend about how it ends. I'm glad that I made the right decision because we both were terrified of the film. The movie sets the beginning up with a lot of build-up to the room, while also building up character for John Cusack's character, which is what a horror film should do so that we get to know the characters and having more of a sense of endangerment for the character that we care about. It does a good job of telling the story that the main character should not go to that room since it has a lot of history, and not let the other characters be such jerks to John Cusack's character because he doesn't listen to them. When it comes to the main character going to 1408, it immediately becomes a one man show here, and John Cusack gives a fantastic performance that I honestly find him to be an underrated actor as he still gives great performances to this day, he's not much talked about in the public as the other well known actors. The psychological aspects of the film are really effective that I really have no idea about where it was going with it, and whether or not it's real. This movie reminds me actually of Oculus as they both are creepy horror films with psychological parts that get me shocked when it happens. With some comparisons, I would say that 1408 is better in a close second because there are more stuff going on that got me a little bit more interested in it than Oculus. There's only one flaw that I can think of that I'm just trying to look for, is that it has some of Stephen King adaptation tropes that were very familiar to me, and it does feel a bit like The Shining in case of a writer character that goes to a bit of an abandoned place and have no bit of an idea whether he's going crazy or not. Even when that's done and introduced, I was so scared of it and so was my best friend that I would actually and this and Oculus as a double feature that seems like psychological horror films can be scarier than the generic ones when done with craftsmanship that really know how to scare us.
April 24, 2016
Starts pretty well, but from mid way just keeps dragging. Not that it didn't have it's moments, but could ve been more brisk for a horror movie.
April 23, 2016
One of my favourites.
April 23, 2016
Like Evil Dead meets The Shining. And it works very well.