2036 Origin Unknown Reviews

• Aug 16, 2020

I know lets use 'er out of Riddick

I know lets use 'er out of Riddick

• Jul 21, 2020

Was the worst movie I've seen in a very long time. There's an Alien presence on Earth and Mars and the control room monitoring the situation has 2 or 3 people in it. Nasa? It's just stupid. Acting is as good as it can be with a bad script, bad directing, bad production, bad story. Get it?

• Jun 24, 2020

Complete cheap thrash

Complete cheap thrash

• May 30, 2020

Absbolute, appalling waste of my time on earth

Absbolute, appalling waste of my time on earth

• May 28, 2020

In defence of Katee Sackhoff, everything else I've seen her in I've enjoyed and I do think she tries with this dreadful movie but, although it looks quite good, this tale of AI, aliens and intergalactic travel becomes a huge, confusing mess of unfathomable ideas and concepts. I genuinely had no idea what was happening at the end...Leaves you going "Uhh?" rather than the "Oooh!" which is what I suspect the director was after.

• May 28, 2020

Very little original thought here. It's mostly Flight of the Navigator (FotN) meets 2001: A Space Odyssey with other well-known SF shoehorned in at regular intervals, that's much is obvious. The slow delivery of lines - frustrating, especially towards the end. The Monolith from 2001 is now... a Borg cube? No, just a cube that's LOOKS Borg. Mysterious and impenetrable and regular and black and appearing on Earth AND on .... well not the Moon, but Mars this time. Hey, why not? ARTI is so obviously HAL meets MAX from FotN... even down to the eyeball-on-an-anglepoise-lamp appearance. Maybe there's even a bit of Lost In Space's "Robot" in the AI's eye. Yup, definitely. We even have the conflicted relationship with humans. Good grief, I expected "Danger Will Robinson! Compliance! I'm sorry I can't do that Dave..." to all come out at once. The travel sequence at the end - Mac becomes Bowman and goes travelling, ends up walking around a weird constructed environment that owes a bit to 2001, a bit to Interstellar, and a bit to TRON. Please, 2001 did those things because it was the only way to be unworldly in the 1960s. Interstellar was at least good at it. This is a poor rip-off. Even Arrival gets nicked... Are we the US Government? We suspect the Chinese are involved! Do THEY have a cube? Are they in control? Let's be paranoid. Reminds me (poor Katie Sackhoff) of that other recent fiasco Another Life. Are "they" good or are "they" evil? Of course, Mars has to have a DUST STORM. Even though the atmosphere of Mars is in reality so thin it can barely make enough of a dust-devil to confuse the Opportunity rover for a few minutes, we have a hurricane going on here... have we seen this before? Oh YES. In "The Martian", where it was called out for being wrong the first time a screenwriter put it in a movie. Do they ever learn? Clearly not. Can we PLEASE have some original and clever stuff instead of this kind of derivative inaccurate rip-off CGI-heavy slow-paced nonsense?

• May 28, 2020

Wow... Um... That was quite the 'schlockey' movie. I actually had to step away from it twice and convince myself to go back and watch a little more. The best part about this movie was Katee Sackhoff, but even she couldn't carry this script, which feels like was written by 12 year olds. Let's see.. stolen other movie themes include: 2001 a Space Odyssey, Star Trek (Borg concept and The Motion Picture), War Games, the Terminator movie series and probably more. The story line is a hack about AI, alien contact and its impact on society. If you're in a 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' kind of mood, maybe play this movie in the background?

• May 26, 2020

It didn't take too long for me to reach the point where I was thinking; "This seems awfully like 2001..." The parallels came thick and fast but without the presentation, the polish or the production. There has been much said about the grim atmosphere of using (effectively) a one room scene and how that lends a certain credibility to the movie. Really? Much has been said about the 'control centre' and how good that was... I might draw you to some of the more believable computer graphics suggested by the Marvel movies - notably those featuring Tony Stark's R and D. Add to that that this is postulated as being available NOW where 2036 is.... well, 2036. THEN add that this is an AI control centre and it begs the question; why not simply have the AI display what you want through voice activation? Even 2001 had that! The lighting seems to be reminiscent of an old Hitchcock movie while the acting? Look... I am not saying 'Mack' is a bad actor. Having said that, coping with such a wooden script that seemed to have no clear idea of where it was going and how it would get there. What was the actor supposed to do beyond gazing askance into camera and making inane comments about making the AI unit laugh? And don't get me started on the cube and the laughable CGI attached to that... reminiscent of really bad Ray Harryhausen. Then we come to the ending though I feel I am being incredibly generous with that description. Assume (for a moment) it was always the intention to make a social/ecological global comment about the way humanity was ruining the planet and I am by no means convinced of that. What was the point of completely destroying the planet and everything living on it including plants etc to make such a flacid point? Actually, it felt more like they ran out of money and had to write some kind of ending 'on the fly'. This was a dismal film on so many levels. It almost deserves to be lauded to justify the (over) 90 minutes I spent watching it - 90 minutes that I will NEVER get back. Some films are so bad they become 'good'. They are even promoted to 'Mystery Science Theatre 3000'. This will not be one of them. This film was just bad and is one I will have no trouble forgetting I ever watched.

• May 25, 2020

Very derivative and unsatisfying

Very derivative and unsatisfying

• May 25, 2020

I beg to differ, the origin is known, this was purely down to Haz Dulull ! What a dog's dinner. The not so special effects from a special effects guy ? Right from the get go, we have "comms" between earth and mars ? That's a new one. The rocket separation stages where the rocket starts moving both horizontally and vertically ? I could go on, but I'd be wasting more of my time. I think the Kubrick estate might want to take a look at this one.