25th Hour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

25th Hour Reviews

October 21, 2016
Characters are not bad but the way its written just kills it all.
October 1, 2016
In this crime thriller directed by Spike Lee, a drug dealer embarks on one last night out before beginning a seven-year prison sentence. Edward Norton gives a very good performance as the man who will make the very most of the time he has left of his freedom before embarking on the jail terms.

He is absolutely determined to spend time with his pals, with good support being offered from Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Barry Pepper, while making some time with his girlfriend, played by Rosario Dawson.

The acting from all the cast is good and the direction from Lee is very solid. Norton gives the best performance without any doubt, but there is one scene in the film which can be very offensive where Norton rants in his bathroom, so I do have to criticize the screenplay written by David Benioff. However despite this one scene and having a lot of bad language, the script is well written as you can understand what is happening.

The dramatic moments keep you on the edge-of-your-seat from the moment the movie gets going and Norton proved that his performance in American History X was definitely not a one-off, as he would now definitely become one actor to look out for in the future.

Despite the horrible bad language, there are scenes which keep you on the edge-of-your-seat and it's one decent little movie with Norton on top form.
½ September 14, 2016
An aggressively blunt crime drama that proves to us that Spike Lee is one of the most provocative modern directors in the business today.
August 28, 2016
Monty Brogan (Edward Norton) has 24 hours left before he goes to prison for seven years. After many years of drug dealing and other criminal activities he's busted by the DEA. With only a day left he decides to try and reconnect with his father James (Brian Cox). He has a get together with his two best friends from back in the day Frank (Berry Pepper) a wall street worker and Jacob (Philip Seymour Hoffman) a timid english professor. He also tries to help his girlfriend Naturelle (Rosario Dawson) come with terms with him leaving (even though she might have been the one who tipped off the DEA). The movie is well acted and really plays on how peoples emotions are connected and how certain events will let the real you come out. It's about saying goodbye to a place you a hate and a place that hates you back, but how there is still so much sorrow in doing something like that especially a place you've called home for so long. It's well done and is a somber film, but I highly recommend giving this one a look!
August 21, 2016
An irritating mess. Lee spends the whole movie laboriously insisting that you feel sorry for this poor tragic hero who was just minding his own business when the evil DEA came and ruined his life, and I just recoiled at every turn. The more they tried to make him likeable and cool and innocent, the less I cared about him or his plight; if he had some shades of grey, if he wasn't such a persecuted martyr, maybe I would have given a shit, but god damn, they just kept dancing away at the pity party. And that's not even mentioning Terence Blanchard's skin-crawler of a score, which just turns all the melodrama and sentimentality up to 11. I always forget how bad Blanchard's music is until I start another Lee movie, and it brings my anticipation for the movie to Earth with a thud, every time.
May 27, 2016
Monty (played by Edward Norton) has 24 hours before he heads to jail for a 7 year sentence. And so Monty's last day begins. A story about regret, friendship and who Monty can trust. Edward Norton is his usual, brilliant self.
May 20, 2016
It just goes to show that so-called Film Critics don't have a clue...I graduated at the Berklee College of Music in Film Scoring after 5 years and realize there are some misinformed, ignorant - self serving so-called Film Critics who are so infantile in their writing it's embarrassing!
Grow up and evolve!!
May 15, 2016
A real chore of a film.
April 26, 2016
Finally! Spike Lee returns to the kind of character driven drama that made him famous. And, it works. Norton as a recently convicted drug dealer whose last night of freedom is a look at not only the life he has lost but of the lives he has interfered with because of his decisions based on self. Excellent cinematography and stellar performances from a top notch cast. Lee gets this one right as he fearlessly guides this social drama with not only something to say but a well directed way to say it.
April 11, 2016
Just a very phenomenal film. The acting was really what stood out here along with exceptional storytelling. Edward Norton stole the show with his usual believable performance about a man about to face 7 years in prison.

The movie did a fantastic job of flashing back to the past in certain moments to recall how and when he got to the point.

He has one last night he spends with friends and his girlfriend.

The movie explores themes of loss, friendship, family, and regret. It really looks at the decision making in life and how making certain decisions can change your life forever. Spike Lee glorified NYC here and it really showed. It really made those even out of New York realize the culture there and how special it is.

Just phenomenal performances all around by all those involved and again top notch story telling and dialogue scenes.
½ March 31, 2016
Well acted from a few fronts (Paquin excluded), this gripping post-9//11 drama is sometimes elevated but more often hampered by Lee's heavy handed direction.
½ March 27, 2016
Edward Norton's monologue: A+
March 12, 2016
The last GREAT Spike Lee film that he has yet to top in my opinion. So many great scenes and performances. One of my favorites.
½ February 28, 2016
2/27/16 Good story. Interesting characters. Some slow parts, but not too many. I enjoyed it, but it won't stay in my memory like some of the more classic "gangster" type films.
February 16, 2016
This movie was amazing. It was a fascination emotional journey through the last free day of a man's, Monty's, life. I will admit with out spoiling anything, there was one point in the film where my mouth was gaping open and tears were streaming down my eyes. Edward Norton's performance is phenomenal with a fantastic supporting cast.
February 9, 2016
This is a very underrated movie filled with great performances from Edward Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper, Rosario Dawson, and Brian Cox. The story is compelling and Spike Lee does an awesome job of directing us to understand and sympathize for a man who chose the wrong path and now has to suffer the consequences for it. Every acted scene is beautiful but the most compelling scenes are one is in the bathroom. Edward Norton explodes internally with a monologue that reminded me of Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver. Another one is a long montage of Edward Norton and Brian Cox on a drive out into the wilderness. Both of these scenes are beautifully acted and are both very powerfully directed.
½ February 9, 2016
Viewed this on 8/2/16
Spike Lee excesses? What the fuck is that? This may be his best film (perhaps Malcolm X is better) and it is such a beautiful film with terrific performance from Edward Norton along with fine supporting performances from Brian Cox, Barry Pepper, Rosario Dawson and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. The 'Fuck you' scene is one of the best scenes I have ever seen. The cinematography is so terrific and full of bright coloured shots that it's a joy to watch each scene. The film tackles a difficult premise with intelligence and realistic sense without making it feel excessive. I loved the ending as well.
January 30, 2016
Really great, compelling ending. Thought provoking. One of my favorite movies.
½ December 7, 2015
Very well acted, visually inventive, and cliche free, this film's power and appreciation for it has only grown. Spike Lee and writer David Benioff have woven the '00's most poignant depiction of a post 9/11 society into a story about tragedy, guilt and loss.
October 21, 2015
A tough tale about redemption and strength during tough situations.