25th Hour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

25th Hour Reviews

August 30, 2017
Not too good of a movie. The cinematography was pretty good, the acting was bad (In my own opinion). The investment banker pissed me off the whole movie. I thought all of the characters were pretty unlikable. The soundtrack was pretty good, and the Bruce Springsteen at the end of the movie almost redeemed the film. Almost.
August 21, 2017
This movie had interesting characters, but the story and direction didn't always do them the justice that they deserved. The acting is really well executed, but by the end of the movie, I felt like I had more questions than answers. It is okay, but not everyone will like it.
½ August 1, 2017
I'm sorry, but it felt like a movie full of irrelevant conversations, some uncreative characters, boring story progression and unsatisfying ending. At least Norton's play kept high level, but that was to be expected.
July 24, 2017
Theirs something poetically/poignantly beautiful about Lee's film. It deals with acceptance and guilt, subjectively through racism if anyone tears the layers back. Lee's film is about the effects of an event that is never out right spoken throughout the film, it boils and peels the characters back in more ways than one yet Lee never hangs or depends on that horrifying and climatic event that has shaken the world to its core. The films score is nothing short of phenomenal, it's eerie and frightening throughout, rising and rising, even surprising its audience at times with technical excellence. Lee's film is a reminder that guilt can be accepted, it can be dealt with but consequences are a result of your actions. That you can never run from your city. You can never run from your friends and you can never run from who you are.
June 26, 2017
Fantastic movie. The lack of a real plot works in this film, as we are engrossed by the characters from the moment they hit the screen to the final credits scroll, thanks to intelligent and compelling dialogue, effortlessly stylish direction from Lee that features intimate and gritty cinematography, and stellar performances from its cast, especially Norton, Paquin and Dawson.
½ May 26, 2017
AWESOME FREAKIN MOVIE
April 11, 2017
The film sets up a fantastic lead character and story, but clogs it up with subplots.
½ January 4, 2017
Edward Norton is by far one of my favorite actors. I got bored at the beginning of this film, but the more I focused the more I was drawn in by the characters.
December 23, 2016
Esta película es maravillosa, mantiene el interés por ella en todo momento con una historia muy concreta y algunas adiciones que no desvían mucho el tema principal de la película.
½ December 1, 2016
Extremely glamourized, but really hit home with me.
October 21, 2016
Characters are not bad but the way its written just kills it all.
October 1, 2016
In this crime thriller directed by Spike Lee, a drug dealer embarks on one last night out before beginning a seven-year prison sentence. Edward Norton gives a very good performance as the man who will make the very most of the time he has left of his freedom before embarking on the jail terms.

He is absolutely determined to spend time with his pals, with good support being offered from Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Barry Pepper, while making some time with his girlfriend, played by Rosario Dawson.

The acting from all the cast is good and the direction from Lee is very solid. Norton gives the best performance without any doubt, but there is one scene in the film which can be very offensive where Norton rants in his bathroom, so I do have to criticize the screenplay written by David Benioff. However despite this one scene and having a lot of bad language, the script is well written as you can understand what is happening.

The dramatic moments keep you on the edge-of-your-seat from the moment the movie gets going and Norton proved that his performance in American History X was definitely not a one-off, as he would now definitely become one actor to look out for in the future.

Despite the horrible bad language, there are scenes which keep you on the edge-of-your-seat and it's one decent little movie with Norton on top form.
½ September 14, 2016
An aggressively blunt crime drama that proves to us that Spike Lee is one of the most provocative modern directors in the business today.
August 28, 2016
Monty Brogan (Edward Norton) has 24 hours left before he goes to prison for seven years. After many years of drug dealing and other criminal activities he's busted by the DEA. With only a day left he decides to try and reconnect with his father James (Brian Cox). He has a get together with his two best friends from back in the day Frank (Berry Pepper) a wall street worker and Jacob (Philip Seymour Hoffman) a timid english professor. He also tries to help his girlfriend Naturelle (Rosario Dawson) come with terms with him leaving (even though she might have been the one who tipped off the DEA). The movie is well acted and really plays on how peoples emotions are connected and how certain events will let the real you come out. It's about saying goodbye to a place you a hate and a place that hates you back, but how there is still so much sorrow in doing something like that especially a place you've called home for so long. It's well done and is a somber film, but I highly recommend giving this one a look!
August 21, 2016
An irritating mess. Lee spends the whole movie laboriously insisting that you feel sorry for this poor tragic hero who was just minding his own business when the evil DEA came and ruined his life, and I just recoiled at every turn. The more they tried to make him likeable and cool and innocent, the less I cared about him or his plight; if he had some shades of grey, if he wasn't such a persecuted martyr, maybe I would have given a shit, but god damn, they just kept dancing away at the pity party. And that's not even mentioning Terence Blanchard's skin-crawler of a score, which just turns all the melodrama and sentimentality up to 11. I always forget how bad Blanchard's music is until I start another Lee movie, and it brings my anticipation for the movie to Earth with a thud, every time.
May 27, 2016
Monty (played by Edward Norton) has 24 hours before he heads to jail for a 7 year sentence. And so Monty's last day begins. A story about regret, friendship and who Monty can trust. Edward Norton is his usual, brilliant self.
May 20, 2016
It just goes to show that so-called Film Critics don't have a clue...I graduated at the Berklee College of Music in Film Scoring after 5 years and realize there are some misinformed, ignorant - self serving so-called Film Critics who are so infantile in their writing it's embarrassing!
Grow up and evolve!!
May 15, 2016
A real chore of a film.
April 26, 2016
Finally! Spike Lee returns to the kind of character driven drama that made him famous. And, it works. Norton as a recently convicted drug dealer whose last night of freedom is a look at not only the life he has lost but of the lives he has interfered with because of his decisions based on self. Excellent cinematography and stellar performances from a top notch cast. Lee gets this one right as he fearlessly guides this social drama with not only something to say but a well directed way to say it.
April 11, 2016
Just a very phenomenal film. The acting was really what stood out here along with exceptional storytelling. Edward Norton stole the show with his usual believable performance about a man about to face 7 years in prison.

The movie did a fantastic job of flashing back to the past in certain moments to recall how and when he got to the point.

He has one last night he spends with friends and his girlfriend.

The movie explores themes of loss, friendship, family, and regret. It really looks at the decision making in life and how making certain decisions can change your life forever. Spike Lee glorified NYC here and it really showed. It really made those even out of New York realize the culture there and how special it is.

Just phenomenal performances all around by all those involved and again top notch story telling and dialogue scenes.