3:10 to Yuma Reviews

• Aug 16, 2019

3:10 to Yuma is a 2007 remake of the 1957 western by the same name. The film was directed by James Mangold, and stars Christian Bale as Dan Evans and Russell Crowe as Ben Wade. The story, acting and characters were all done very well, especially the character of Ben Wade. The sets, costumes and visuals both practical and special were also very strong, especially with the set designs and practical explosions. The atmosphere in the film was really strong, especially at the end of the third act. The film was also enjoyable and intriguing, and I hope to watch it again soon. Over all I give it a 6/10

• Jun 27, 2019

One of the best western action movies I've seen so far!

One of the best western action movies I've seen so far!

• Jun 15, 2019

I saw this movie in the theater when it came out. I remember I didn't like it but could not remember why. I just watched it on TV and the whole way through thinking "This is pretty good, why did I not like it before?" And then the ending.... Russell Crowe's motivation at the end makes not sense. I mean, it is explained, but it is soooo out of character it makes no sense.

• Jun 10, 2019

This remake of the 1950s Western of the same name is the critical anomaly of paint by number. We do have nice directing by James Mangold to its impressive scenery along with a cast that looks great on paper. But, it also mangles incoherently with other directing styles. Which coincide with a very basic story, stale characters, and an extremely predictable screenplay and conclusion. Looks great in all, but its something you have seen done many times before. An incredibly boring viewing experience is what I got out of this.

• May 29, 2019

Just an awesome western movie.

Just an awesome western movie.

• May 06, 2019

This has everything a Western should have.

This has everything a Western should have.

• Mar 24, 2019

Few better a western made - amazingly it gets even better with time, my 2019 viewing exuded even more emotion & pondering than the year it was released. Brilliant casting, Crowe’s best ever performance, Bale was strong but not over the top. A great viewing pleasure!

• Mar 17, 2019

A killer modern Western! James Mangold's Western crime drama 3:10 to Yuma (2007) is a blistering race to a train station to bring a criminal to jail. It pits a desperate farmer against a clever gang leader and his insanely devoted thugs. Mangold's direction has never looked better or felt so grounded. Mangold updated the Western genre with a quicker pace and tense scenes in order to keep the audience engaged. 3:10 to Yuma is as entertaining as Westerns get. Christian Bale is so relatable and sympathetic as the lead Dan Evans. Russell Crowe is a charming villain and terrifying killer as Ben Wade. Ben Foster is a scene stealing killer without a conscious as Charlie Prince. These 3 leads complete 3:10 to Yuma powerhouse cast of actors in their prime all commanding each scene with their notable presence. Logan Lerman is really good as the belligerent teenager William Evans and gets some interesting moments. Peter Fonda is a tough Pinkerton Byron McElroy with an axe to grind. Dallas Roberts is perfect as the cowardly Grayson Butterfield. The shootouts and violent and thrilling that keep you glued to the screen. But, the best scenes are Bale and Crowe exchanging insults, comebacks, and pasts with their respective ethos in life on full display. It's like they develop a respect for each other on screen before our eyes. 3:10 to Yuma delivers one of cinema's most ponderous friendships with its blistering finale. The last conversation between Bale and Crowe while they hide out in the station is fascinating and moving. Their acting prowess coupled with Macro Beltrami's touching and enchanting Western score culminate in cinematic euphoria. Bale and Crowe give nuanced performances, while they tear up the screen with a slash of bullets. Lastly, I really liked Gretchen Mol as Alice Evans. Her scenes opposite Bale draw out the best and most sincere lines from Bale. When he admits he is embarrassed at how everyone looks down on him to her, I was just silenced by his aura. Mol plays the uncertain and worried wife with a stern realism and a quiet grace. 3:10 to Yuma is as cool as Western films get. It has all the drama and character development of a great character study, while never leaving you bored like many bloated Westerns. 3:10 to Yuma is not a slow burn, but rather a fast flame.

• Mar 06, 2019

This was a great western. I don't want to say too much about it, but its an amazing watch.

• Jan 24, 2019

Some of the most intense and competently directed western moments on film, 3:10 to Yuma rivals the original and sneaks in two of the best performances from two prominent actor's careers. Stellar performances from everyone in this movie. Particularly Russell Crowe, who is easily the highlight of the movie. The soundtrack is something else to note, particularly how sparse it's used making the choice of music come to the forefront of a scene. All of these attributes makes this one of my favorite depictions of the wild west ever.