5 Broken Cameras - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5 Broken Cameras Reviews

½ December 22, 2016
A brave piece of film making. This isn't an even battle and whilst this isn't the most balanced analysis of Israel/Palestine it shows the shameless oppression inflicted on ordinary Palestinians by the heavily armed Israeli army. Unflinching front line images that should shake anyone who see's them.
November 30, 2016
A Palestinian peasant teamed up with an Israeli director to deliver this remarkable and moving work of historical importance that exposes the outrageous situation of abusive oppression by invading Israeli forces in the West Bank village of Bil'in.
October 13, 2016
Very powerful real life depiction of the abuses and the constant oppression the Palestinians have to endure in their own land. Who thought the arabs could be so much more Christian than the jews? Here we see the jews at their worst. They are stealing, destroying, beating, killing, emprisoning and they have no real reason to do so. I don't know many people that could endure this without fighting back in the most violent ways. Palestinians are not free and deserve so much more. It is now known that Zionism is simply Nazism with jew flavor. These jews are not religious at all, they are psychopaths with the licence to kill and abuse as they wish. All jewish "settlers" should be removed from the land and their houses either dismantled, destroyed or recycled as Palestinians homes. It makes me think of the invasion of America by englishes but without smallpox available. Bloodily outrageous!
April 18, 2016
Seeing is believing.
½ March 3, 2016
Compelling story. Simply and powerfully told.
January 10, 2016
Great documentary movie portrays real life events occurring as we speaking pure art.
½ November 15, 2015
not terribly uplifting, but i'm glad i saw it. the tenacity is really something, in the most desperate circumstances.
May 24, 2015
I really think that this movie has a lot with the audience we are trying to capture at Vidpal. People like this can become stars in many ways. There's not just one person that does this. And, I think we should reward them.
February 17, 2015
A literal journey into the conflict between the Israelis and Palestinians in circumstances where Jewish settlements are being established on lands previously lived on by Palestinians. It is frightening and raw and all captured on cameras that have born the brunt of the conflict. Compelling filming.
January 8, 2015
A film everyone should see to really understand what's happening in Palestine.
September 22, 2014
5 Broken Cameras is a strong documentary that will let you see a side of the Israel/Palestine conflict that we so often don't get to see in this pro-Israel country. A documentary that needs to be seen and will leave its mark on the viewers willing to challenge their ideas of who is right and who is wrong in the disturbing conflict that seemingly has no end.
½ August 28, 2014
Himself - Narrator: Healing is a challenge in life. It's a victim sole obligation. By healing, you resist oppression. But when I'm hurt over and over again, I forget the wounds that rule my life. Forgotten wounds can't be healed. So I film to heal. I know they may knock at my door at any moment. But I'll just keep filming. It helps me confront life. And survive.

5 Broken Cameras cuenta una parte del conflicto árabe-israelí, con una sensibilidad nunca antes vista. Emad Burnat es un hombre de familia que vive en Bil'in, una aldea donde se empiezan a construir asentamientos israelíes ilegalmente. Emad y la mayoría de los habitantes palestinos de Bil'in trabajan recogiendo olivos de los árboles de sus tierras, y estos asentamientos peligran esto, ya que suelen construir también una pared de división, y en este caso, la pared les quitó varios árboles que son de su propiedad. A raíz de esto, empiezan a haber protestas pacíficas, y sus habitantes terminan siendo víctimas de la fuerza bruta de el ejercito israelí. Esto sucede por varios años, y Emad logra filmarlo todo. 5 cámaras retratan no sólo el desarrollo del conflicto, sino su vida familiar, donde somos testigos del nacimientos de su último hijo, en circunstancias complicadas.

Este testimonio logra hacernos ver un lado que no siempre es visible en el conflicto. Los porcentajes de víctimas del lado palestino suelen homogeneizar a la población, y no nos tomamos el tiempo de realmente conocer a estas personas y como son sus vidas. Es fácil generalizar, sobretodo cuando los medios de comunicación demonizan a las personas involucradas en este lado del conflicto. Al conocer a Emad, es una persona como cualquier otra que sólo quiere vivir en paz, y lucha de la mejor manera que sabe. También es una persona articulada e inteligente. Su narración de los eventos durante toda la película es poética y a través de su cámara logra transmitir un relato sensible.

Esta película debería ser un requerimiento de ver para toda persona que quiere saber un poco más acerca de este conflicto, y también siento que es necesario mostrarla en las escuelas israelíes, para crear una mayor sensibilidad hacia el otro lado, y que de alguna manera, hay que lograr una solución que beneficie a las dos partes, y sobretodo aceptar los terribles errores que se han cometido en esta guerra.
August 10, 2014
Perspective of only one side of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
June 22, 2014
Brilliant documentary. I'd be surprised if you can watch it without getting angry
June 12, 2014
Your post code where you were born can define alot of things about your life. 5 broken cameras defines this. A documentary with running commentary on a Palestinian family life amidst an opressive Israeli force that see's no reason. Escaping bias in a modern documentary is challenging which this film is shrouded in but it does has a very strong heart provoking humane arguement. Worth watching.
May 28, 2014
A gut wrenchingly personal documentary spanning half a decade of dignified protest in the face of almost utter hopelessness.
April 12, 2014
Extraordinary documentary that left me heartbroken
February 27, 2014
"I film to heal." A powerful insight into the war over land in Palestine, and a reminder of art as therapy. While a few of these scenes seemed a little too conveniently filmed by the director, it's a startling look at a completely different life.
Harlequin68
February 25, 2014
In the heartbreaking and deeply moving documentary, "5 Broken Cameras," Emad Burnat, like any proud father, uses a video camera to record every single waking moment of his fourth son Gilbreel in order to embarrass him later when he is an adult. As the owner of one of the only ones in his village, he is also the unofficial chronicler of events such as the circus. And since this is the occupied West Bank we are talking about, that extends to the building of the security wall which threatens to divide the village lands to make way for illegal Israeli settlements. The villagers respond with protests that are mostly peaceful and a little ingenious in places, and are joined by Israeli and other international activists.

Even though it is a little repetitive(perhaps by design), especially on Emad reminding us about the importance of the land, as he and other villagers depend on harvesting olives for their livelihood, "5 Broken Cameras" also shows in harrowing detail what it is like to live in the occupied territories, as Emad captures some stunning footage while putting himself and his cameras at risk, hence the title, not only for injury, but also jail time. In fact, one of his cameras ends up taking a bullet for him, but that is not what sends him to the hospital(an Israeli one) for an extended stay.
½ February 14, 2014
Honest, moving and surprisingly non-vitriolic.