A Field in England - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Field in England Reviews

½ April 13, 2017
Untroubled! afternoon.
January 4, 2017
A truly wonderful civil war trip
October 6, 2016
Absolutely shocking! It shows the true inhumanity of the human race.
½ July 26, 2016
Not sure if this film is meant to b non-linear mushroom-fuelled nonsense or ant attempt at art
July 14, 2016
Four men walk over a field in 17th century England, in black and white. What follows is weirdness. While some frames are really beautifully filmed, other parts are so trippy you think you're in a music video. Even though it's no long film, it sometimes feels like it, and yet there is an odd fascination for what's going on up until the bloody finale. You're left to make up your own mind about what all the fuzz was all about. The beautiful end credits song makes you think you've seen a much better film than it actually is. File under: artsy fartsy or What the hell did I just watch?
June 18, 2016
A kaleidoscope of bumbling nonsense.
June 2, 2016
3.4/5
Half of the film feels like pointless waste of material when all the creativity and wittiness are expressed towards the end of the film, almost as if director Ben Wheatley got two completely contrary inspirations for the tones of each half, making A Field In England an artistically rewarding film after a long wait of nothingness that goes unmatched to the tension of Kill List or to the black comedy of Sightseers and that probably wouldve worked more as a book as all the cinematic possibilities are wasted when theres nothing more to the tale than the tales of the poorly presented characters.
Note: Probably makes more sense after a second viewing (Have not tried it yet)
½ May 24, 2016
A waste of time. Of memory. Of thought. A waste. A refutation of the idea of Anglo dominance in film, indeed, the very argument against that theory. And yet so well thought of? I don't get it. If one has access to magic mushrooms my advice would be to do those instead.
April 24, 2016
Very impressive visually with some scenes of huge sensory impact but I'm not convinced there's much depth beyond that. It's worth seeing however for the remarkable hallucinatory sequences and it's high degree of originality.
April 7, 2016
I love Down Terrace, Kill List and Sightseers. So the fact this film left me a bit cold doesn't put me off Ben Wheatley. This feels like it's made by an experimental student team, who are being occasionally advised by a cinephile demon, urging them into flights of fancy, or clever ways to use the camera. Part Civil War re-enactment gone very wrong, part extremely-bad-mushroom-trip, part ... I've no idea. It skirts through a Long Day's Journey into Madness with some truly dynamic sequences, wonderful posed tableaux, and terrific performances by (especially) Reece Shearsmith & Michael Smiley. It's undercut with weirdness and dread. Not for many, I'd guess. It seems to revel in its strangeness.
½ March 16, 2016
What the hell? It was visually striking, but weird and confusing.
February 28, 2016
An intense, unique, and trippy film set in the English Civil War, really awesome visuals and an interesting minimalist approach
January 27, 2016
What a weird but strangely compelling film. I didn't want to like it at times but it managed to always keep you intrigued as to just what the Hell was going on. It's not quite as good as Wheatley's previous film 'Kill List' but it still shows you that he is a director making difficult but interesting films, even if at times completely bizarre.
½ December 13, 2015
This has some genuinely funny moments, mainly at the start, but it descends into a trippy, confusing, mess. It is nicely shot but is a challenge to follow the plot, if there is one.
November 25, 2015
Not kill list unsettling but unsettling non the less.
½ November 25, 2015
A beguiling, transfixing, and hypnotic odyssey through the metaphysical and mystic. What a trip.
½ November 16, 2015
Filme em preto e branco sobre desertores que ingerem cogumelos e vão em busca de um suposto tesouro.
½ October 24, 2015
Well filmed, but written by a an idiot.
This film starts out looking like a good historical period piece, but quickly becomes a constipated mire of pretentious poo that makes little sense; Continuity is second to...everything else, I guess.
They made it look very nice for the period, but the storyline was muddled, convoluted, and in the end, completely worthless.
September 28, 2015
Sometimes, weird is its own reward.
September 13, 2015
this film was absolutely insane