A Late Quartet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Late Quartet Reviews

½ February 21, 2016
Christopher Walken and PS Hoffman? I could watch those two read the Yellow Pages. If you're into great acting, check it out. Imogen Poots = Still a total uggo.
February 8, 2016
The strengths here are the central performances. They transcend the overly schematic plotting and self-conscious script, and almost convince you this is a small masterpiece. Unfortunately the director too often flirts with bathos, and you end up stifling laughs when there should be tears. But see it for the acting.
September 1, 2015
Ran into this movie that slipped through the cracks, the acting is great, always Hoffman puts out honest and natural performances and Walken plays his borderline comical self that is enjoyable. The story flows nicely that the 1 hr 45 minutes it runs for doesn't feel as long as it is.
½ August 22, 2015
It's a shame. A Late Quartet had such potential to be an involved character study on how a string quartet works, at the same time providing an excellent repertoire of chamber music to be featured in the film. Instead, the movie resorts to melodrama and soap opera-like plot points to fill its two hours. The other huge shame is the talent wasted. With great actors such as P.S. Hoffman, Christopher Walken, and Catherine Keener, how did the film go so badly? If they couldn't breathe life into it, no actors can.

From a music standpoint, the film also failed to meet expectations. Now I didn't expect to hear Beethoven Opus 131 uncut, but there was no variation to what they played. They never played anything else than that one piece- very unrealistic for a string quartet of that magnitude. Also, I feel bad for the "coaches" who had to train these actors to play the instruments, because they did a horrible job. No one held their instrument right, and in no way could've produced the sound that was heard in the film. I don't expect Philip Seymour Hoffman to be able to play a concerto, but I wish he could've been taught to fake it better; that goes for all of them.

For music lovers, this film is not the right fit.
May 18, 2015
"Did you love me, or was I just convenient?" Great music, brilliant cast, intense plot.
May 5, 2015
The script might be bit thin, but the performances and overall feel of the movie makes it a emotional and satisfying watch.
April 21, 2015
Walken should have been nominated for an Oscar for this performance.
½ April 18, 2015
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken, and Catherine Keener? Of course I'm there!
February 16, 2015
I guess the point of this movie is that even classical music can be subject to silly melodrama, but if we're going to go that route I wish it had been more tawdry.
January 23, 2015
This is a memorable movie that exposes the bewilderment of talented people who skills have been sidetracked by desires that don't obey logic -- a brave journey into the underbelly of being human.
½ January 16, 2015
"A Late Quartet" was everything I had hoped "Quartet" would be. As a classically-trained musician, I found it very convincing and authentic. There was none of the usual clichà (C)s. Christopher Walken played his role totally straight, without any of his normal kitsch. Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant.
December 15, 2014
I went to watch the movie after reading the reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, thinking that maybe the screenplay wasn't going to be the best, but that the music would make it up for that. However, the movie is so melodramatic that there is scarcely space to enjoy the music. It's like a Mexican soap opera with classical music in the background.
December 4, 2014
Underrated Walken hit with strong ensemble cast. Intriguing interpersonal drama, familiarity with the classical music scene not required.
½ December 2, 2014
A very sombre and sad story about a quartet on the verge of disintegration, is saved only by the one thing that holds the quartet together, the love for music. Absolutely terrific performances by the Walken, Hoffman, Keener and Ivanir that brings shine into this movie which otherwise could easily have been a very doleful affair. The script gathers pace pretty early in the movie, but for some reason it does not close the whole affair. It certainly does not leave characters hanging, but there is no real closure and I felt the ending was a bit abrupt and did not do justice to the brilliant character development that was showcased in the story.

All in all a beautiful melancholy about what you really love.
½ October 7, 2014
Hoffman e Walken. Ponto.
September 28, 2014
Beautiful film with a view into a world most of us know nothing about. Walken is just excellent in his role but each plays their part just like a Quartet and it is beautiful..
½ September 21, 2014
Thank god for the talented cast because I was not a fan of this script. It's slowly paced, and uber melodramatic. The acting couldn't even save some of the scenes, particularly the mother/daughter fight between Catherine Keener and Imogen Poots. The ladies gave it their best, and the emotion/feeling was there, but the words they were saying were ridiculous. It's a shame because it's such an interesting concept. I got what they were going for. Seeing the inner workings of the group and everything they went through juxtaposed with seeing them sitting on stage performing was interesting. And they all had some great moments. I didn't love Philip Seymour Hoffman's character, but he at least made him watchable. Now Christopher Walken, I did enjoy as the oldest member of the quartet. Also, the quartet music is beautiful. But overall, I'm still on the fence as to how I feel about this one.
September 12, 2014
In A Late Quartet the music gets personal when a longstanding Fugue String quartet's lives come apart and intersect in melodramatic ways. The performances are outstanding, and it's especially nice to see Christopher Walken once again show off how enormously effective he can be in a straight dramatic role. But the other trio, four if you count Imogen Poots as the daughter, are equally as effective, and lay the foundation of pathos that make the film a compelling watch.