A Promise Reviews

• Sep 18, 2018

Seeing a guy get almost sick pining for a woman he really can't have got boring very quickly. Pass on this one.

• May 25, 2018

If you're a Rebecca Hall fan, this is a must. She's stunning, and her work is high quality like always. I see reviews mention Alan Rickman, but his presence is pretty scant. Richard Madden is sullen and withdrawn throughout, pretty one dimensional, so it becomes baffling why Rebecca falls for him. The cinematography is intriguing, and the look of the film is lovely. The romance is nice, inasmuch as Rebecca can carry it anyway, but once the couple have to separate, the whole narrative falls apart, and we never really reconnect with the characters. One odd thing, the story started out feeling like Rickman was grooming Madden to replace him in all things, including husband, but then sends Madden abroad, and near his death he seems jealous and disappointed. Maybe the book fleshes all this out better. But the movie proper is confusing, then kind of fizzles. Again, just watch it for Rebecca Hall.

• Oct 09, 2017

Alan Rickman certainly saves the entire film from being utterly forgettable.

Alan Rickman certainly saves the entire film from being utterly forgettable.

• May 14, 2017

I'm going to say something improper: this film in the movie equivalent of blue balls. So disappointing.

• Nov 08, 2016

It starts off good, but falls apart and then can't end soon enough.

It starts off good, but falls apart and then can't end soon enough.

• Oct 06, 2016

Period romance with a good appearance and style, but a much used love-triangle storyline.

• Aug 29, 2016

I watched the beginning and was bored, I skipped around the middle and was bored, I jumped to the end and was still bored. Seriously, this was an overly dramatic bit of sappy fluff.

• May 21, 2016

Wow. Haunting. Beautiful. Sad. Seeing Alan Rickman [who actually looks ill in this movie] brought great sadness to me, even while watching him give an amazing performance. A lovely movie that I enjoyed very much.

• Apr 08, 2016

Starts off well enough but then just drags along with the the unrequited love. Not worth watching.

• Mar 24, 2016