A Quiet Place - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Quiet Place Reviews

February 15, 2019
This film is about a deadbeat dad who 1) leaves his wife just before her due date so that he can go on a pointless trip with his son, 2) leaves his kids alone outside and doesn't notice they're gone until his wife asks about them, 3) doesn't care to know the sex of his baby, 4) doesn't teach his daughter how to cope if he dies, 5) sacrifices himself even though he has no idea if it will increase the chance of his kids' survival. Good acting though.
½ February 15, 2019
A quiet place it's a really good movie, at first you might be confused about what's happening but as time goes on it gets better and you'll not be disappointed.
The scenery really takes you to that time and place, you can see and even feel what they are going through.
The acting it's also great, all the emotions from the characters are really noticeable that even without talking you can feel them and they'll even give you goosebumps.
½ February 13, 2019
A Quiet Place thrills with its straightforward, simple premise flawlessly executed. A gripping family-centric narrative.
February 11, 2019
Very suspenseful and well made movie! The acting by Emily, Millicent and Noah was fenomenal! John Krasinski showed that he could be a great director! Only mistake in this movie was that they showed the monster at the begging of the movie! I think that the movie would be a lot more scary if we didn't saw the monster that early in the film.
½ February 10, 2019
Excellent gripping Film...great acting too ...
February 9, 2019
Thrilling,suspenseful and tense from the opening scene until the end. The use of sound as a device of sorts was great.
½ February 9, 2019
Stupidity, plot hole, plot hole, dumb, stupid act, plot hole, dumb move, plot hole... you get the idea.
½ February 7, 2019
Worst movie I ever watched
February 7, 2019
It's been a while since I've been on the edge of my seat the whole movie! What a Cinematic experience John Krasinski!
Kudos!!!! Emily Blunt was Fearless! Definitely deserved the SAG Award! ´┐ 1/2'´┐ 1/2'´┐ 1/2'
A MUST WATCH for all Horror Fans!
½ February 7, 2019
Above-average horror drama pulling through its unusual premise (survival by silence) with competence and ease.
February 7, 2019
How do they still have electricity??? Nobody gets that they are vulnerable to high pitched noise??? Seriously??? Could have been written a lot better. Good acting though
½ February 6, 2019
Filme p├│s-apocal├şptico com um twist muito bom, bem executado. Altos momentos de tensao e silencio.
February 5, 2019
Entertaining and well done story about a family in a post apocalyptic horror movie about aliens that kill you if you make noise. Somehow I found it difficult to believe when they transitioned from a quiet movie to a scary one. But I enjoyed it.
February 4, 2019
very in the wave of the end of the world, this film wraps us in a silent world with creatures with mega audition ... I recommend it for people who like this genre .. but it's just a another movie ...
February 3, 2019
Pros: Suspense, alternative acting, cinematography, sound design.
Cons: Inconsistencies in the creatures abilities.
February 3, 2019
I really enjoyed this movie its just the ending feels like it came too soon and the ending for me was bad
½ February 2, 2019
Not very good at all
February 1, 2019
Doesn live up to the hype. The parents are extremely stupid. Why are you not living in a sound proof house with a super strong door? Humans can not outsmart creatures by making sound traps then killing them? If you have that much electricity why not have a fence that electrocutes them?
February 1, 2019
A Quiet Place is a premium horror movie idea that is undermined by its own internal logic. There are some tense moments, and the sound design is really engrossing, but the entire time you're just thinking: "why can't they just do something else to make their lives easier?".
February 1, 2019
Silence is a space on to which much can be projected. Fears and hopes, understandings and misunderstandings, rejection and acceptance, comfort and discomfort. Silent prayer is a rich tradition of many different streams of spirituality; God can speak in silence (as depressed, suicidal Elijah found); equally God's silence can be a fearful thing. In A Quiet Place, silence is something to be sought at all costs; but it's also a space into which fear, guilt, intimacy and much more besides can be projected.

Humanity has been ravaged by monsters which hunt sound; noise-making is only safe in the context of a much louder noise. The film follows a two adults, three children family trying to make their way. Make a noise in the space of silence, and death is both swift and inevitable. It's a lean film - 86 minutes, a cast of 7 people, which is all the better to enable the viewer little time to mull on the central plot hole (if noise can be made next to louder noise, why not just go and live next to a damn or a waterfall?). Despite that, the film is almost unbearably tense - inevitably, large parts of it are silent. Communication is mostly unspoken, in gesture or sign language.

There's profundity in stillness and silence: a hand held silent grace before a family meal is eloquent and moving; this is a family with its own share of trauma and guilt, healing is needed and maybe shared silence will allow for a portion of that. But mostly this is a film that grips like a vice and never lets go; it's breathless, and orchestrates a series of shocks and jumps with mastery. Scenes are prefigured brilliantly, to reach pay-off at an undefined later point; in one shot, the camera pans down to show a nail protruding from a step in the family's house. Given that bare feet are compulsory in the noiseless existence, we spend the rest of the film waiting for a foot to be pierced. When we realise that the mother - played by Emily Blunt, outstanding in a film where every performance is brilliant - is pregnant, we start to wonder how she can possibly survive giving birth; and even if she should, how might a newborn stay silent?

Like Gravity - an effective but inferior film - the sound design makes the film what it is; silence, and the noise around it, makes for hard work for sound designers. They are justly rewarded with award recognitions. But what remains a mystery is why this film is so unrecognised in other categories; there are few better directed films, and Emily Blunt is remarkable. Critics, and especially awards, can often disdain genre films that evoke more visceral reactions - which, given the skill behind this film, is an insult to all concerned. It's a masterpiece of its type in miniature; a cine-literate one that references many other great thrillers (in one set piece the classic Harrison Ford thriller Witness is memorably evoked), horror films, science fiction and family dramas are all referenced.

There's metaphors and deeper themes there also, if we want to see them: themes of love, guilt, parenthood and childhood. Could the film be read as a metaphor for how to reshape family life in an era where some feel 'traditional' or 'nuclear' families are no longer the norm? However that question is answered, what we can say is this: A Quiet Place is as good a horror-thriller as you are likely to see, low on gore, high on tension, a film that totally immerses the viewer in its world of eloquent, fearful silence.