A Town Called Panic (Panique au village) Reviews

• Jan 08, 2018

One of the most gloriously random animated comedies of all time, with hilariously rapid-fire gags erupting all over the place while maintaining a surprisingly strong theme of community.

• Sep 27, 2017

Horse, Cowboy and Indian live on one hill. Horse is the brains of the household, Cowboy and Indian the adolescent creators of chaos. Steve, his wife, his cows and his precious tractor live on the other hill and Steve is permanently pissed off. Whether you ring his doorbell or touch his studio, I mean tractor, you're gonna get yelled at. Imagine all of this as a French stop-frame animation using little plastic toys that live in a town called Panic! In a nutshell It is Horse's birthday. Cowboy and Indian decide to build him a "braai". (I kid you not.) For this purpose they need fifty bricks, but as fate would have it, they accidentally order fifty million bricks! On horse's account! The bigger problem is not how to hide the bill for fifty million bricks from Horse, but the actual fifty million bricks! Mood of the film Panicky! Raucous! Over the top. Best performance Cowboy wins the Oscar. He carries a gun and lasso, wears cowboy hat and boots, but he still screeches like a banshee at the mere sight of trouble. (Or dons flip-flops, shorts and a Hawaiian-style shirt and books a flight to Miami!) Stand-out scene The whole film is one crazy, over-the-top scene after the other. In fact, the scenes follow one another so fast, I had to pause and rewind a few. One I watched three times is Horse coming home late at night. He drives "through" the new braai. The centre strip of the car, including the engine, gets stuck behind the braai. The two sides of the car end up in front of the braai. Horse goes straight over it. It is funnier when you watch it, I promise. Negatives? I love any type of animation. The Triplets of Belleville is one of my favourite films ever. Even though it is French, it does not need one subtitle, because there is no spoken dialogue in the film. Animation is not everybody's cup of tea. Is the film relevant today? Brilliance such as A Town called Panic is sorely needed in an ocean of mediocre film. If we all strive towards brilliance in life we'd live in an awesome society. The film is also a good laugh!

• Feb 27, 2017

Magnificent just a perfect movie verry funny and the story is verry good i love it

• Joey T Super Reviewer
    Jul 20, 2016

It isn't much in the way of character development or themes, but A Town Called Panic's charming animation style, brisk pacing, and amazing sense of humor make it a joy to watch from start to finish. It is bizarre and strange, but if you are willing to give into its strangeness, it'll be hard to wipe the smile off your face. If you're looking for something different, definitely check it out.

• Jan 31, 2016

Surrealistic storytelling, characterization and visuals? Check! A fresh, original story with plenty of fun? Double check! Be ready for quite the ride in this small French stop-animation comedy about three friends -- an Indian, a horse and a cowboy living together and trying to live their strange, manic lives! Just as inthe movie UP, Panique au Village is a lot more entertaining than its simple premise would lead you believe and definitely worth the watch if you want something a tad different in presentation and plot. Check it out!

• Nov 14, 2015

Gleefully nonsensical and hilariously unique, A Town Called Panic is fun for everyone. Grade: A-

• Oct 02, 2015

With an animation style that is wacky and contributes to its humor, A Town Called Panic is a funny, classy and entertaining film for the whole family.

• Dec 07, 2014

Well we had claymation animation, computer animation, Lego animation and now little plastic action figures that have their turn for a movie, and I want more of it. The story to Panic Village is about are two main character's Cowboy (Stéphane Aubier) and Indian (Bruce Ellison) -- who plan to buy a birthday gift for their friend Horse (the voice of Vincent Patar) but accidentally destroy his house. A series of wacky, often hallucinatory adventures ensues that finds the trio journeying to the center of the earth, wandering across icy tundra and discovering a strange aquatic world inhabited by oddball beings with pointed heads. Cowboy and Indian are basically the two stooges doing funny but stupid things to push the plot along. Horse is a lot smarter and more grown up then those two funny idiots and it's funny how animal like a horse has to take care of two grown humans for their stupidity, but even horse has it's stupid but funny moments. Are main characters go through a strange adventure and meeting new people who are basically two things: Strange or barking mad, like this one scene where Cowboy, Horse and Indian come across there's mad scientist in there big metal penguin, and what they do all day is control the penguin to throw giant snowballs at people for a joke, and you can already guess what kind of movie this is. I enjoyed watching A Town Called Panic. It has great animation and three funny character's that I was totally on board with. I'm a bit shocked that not much people are talking about this movie, maybe they don't even know this exist and that is just unacceptable. The movie isn't for everyone, it's just like Adventure Time not everybody isn't going to find they kind of entertainment, but I have a soft spot for those kind of humor so it's all good... for me. Do I recommend Panic Town to people and yes I do, but before they do I should asked them to put all the logic to the side and just expect what's on the screen and maybe they might find it funny enough for entertainment.

• Nov 08, 2014

Quite bizarre with a long meandering story about not much. But the animation was pretty cool! I think this was more for kids?

• Aug 17, 2014

Does it make sense? Its a foreign movie what do you expect? Is it awesome? I refer you to my remark earlier.