Abduction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Abduction Reviews

July 21, 2016
Nobody got abducted. Action was lame. Boring. Skip this snoozefest.
July 11, 2016
2.0/10
This movie "Stole" precious hours of my life and I will never get those back. Abduction is awful. It amazes me that movies like this are put into production. Don't ever watch this movie.
½ June 20, 2016
While I don't believe it to be totally beyond saving, an angry Taylor Lautner, convoluted plot and a certain degree of incompetence leaves many viewers wondering what on earth happened and very few finding pleasure withing its many flaws; by no means the best work of anybody who collaborated with it.
June 3, 2016
Abduction is a disappointing film. It is about a young man who sets out to uncover the truth about his life after finding his baby photo on a missing persons website. Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins give horrible performances. The script is badly written. John Singleton did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ May 8, 2016
2016-05-08 not bad, why rated so low?
April 19, 2016
Taylor lautner is a really great actor and I really get upset when I see rotten tomatoes about his films...this is not really fair
March 18, 2016
John Singleton started out as a great young voice in black cinema and now he couldn't direct a good movie if the universe depended on it. I wish I could throw all the blame at Lautner for his hammy acting proving outside of Twilight he is still a shitty actor. Everything except for the cast screamed B-action movie. If it was that I could easily have enjoyed this better. Because at least a B-action movie knows what it is. This is just Bourne but for brainless Snooki fans. The set pieces are just as ludicrous, asking the viewer to buy into the movie too much when we have not been given any reason to engage with the plot in the first place. The plot holes are often showing a world where stitches are gone the very next day and calling 911 on a payphone you are actually talking to the CIA. And a 17 year old can beat up a seasoned trained assassin. General flaws in logic and realism are other aspects that can be attributed to this type of movie without having them become a major concern. Often, we tend to overlook moments which would result in serious injury for the hero in real life simply because he's just that, a hero. I'm also willing to pass these moments off, but in Abduction they occur so often, and on such a noticeable scale that they severely detract from any engagement with the film that could be developed as it progresses. How they got such a great supporting cast is beyond me. I can understand Lautner and Collins being in this. But none of the others. Singleton you are better then this tripe.
½ March 13, 2016
This movie was basically Jason Bourne Jr.
March 5, 2016
Actually a good idea, and production, story good, might be weak in the directing as the best parts of the plot were handled a bit weak and needed more punch.
½ March 1, 2016
Tisk, tisk, tisk, for shame. How the mighty auteur director of 'Boyz in the hood' John Singleton has fallen. 'Abduction' whilst seeing it on tight Tuesday, all I can say is I would have paid full price to be abducted from the theatre.

Wanna-be Borne identity style teen-fare, this preposterously rusted plot vehicle careens off a cliff. The corny, cringe-worthy and schmaltzy dialogue heads straight past laughable taking a hard right at ridiculous. The tepid action stunts sequences, woefully appalling writing and ludicrous premise leave this listless film in such bad state of repair even a stellar supporting cast simply can not save.

Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) seems to be your average fun-loving rebellious high schooler seeking all the usual thrills. Attending (aka passing out at) wild kegger parties, longingly pining whilst covertly gazing and physically threatening any boyfriend of the pretty girl-across-the-road Karen (Lily Collins) and pushing the usual parental-unit bounds as laid out (played by the woefully underutilised Maria Bello and Jason Isaacs).

Underneath the playful reputation however Nathan suffers from insomnia, impulsivity and anger issues; brought about by an overtly vivid nightmare about helplessly watching a woman being violently attacked. His weekly visits to shrink Dr. Bennett (Sigourney Weaver) help and his typical family dynamics combined with mixed-martial arts style father-son roughhousing, things seem to be improving.

Until, when researching a school sociology paper (with object of his affection Karen), Nathan randomly stumbles across a missing children's photographic website posting that resembles him to a tee. But before he can confront his unsuspecting mother, Nathan's world is turned upside down as a procession of dangerous contract killers who proceed to murder his parents, blow up his house and leave him on the run with helpless bystander Karen in tow.

Desperate for assistance and answers, Nathan has no time to absorb anything before being thrust head long into the covert world of espionage. Targeted by the mandatory double of hired goons with vague Russian accents and rouge CIA agents, no one can be trusted and no where is safe for the two would-be sweetheart teens.

Just as Nathan reveals 'Everyone around me is dying' and 'I feel like a stranger in my life' The intervention of CIA head-honcho Frank Burton (Alfred Molina), whom may or may not be genuinely concerned for their safety; simply complicates matters further. What follows is a dangerous cat-and-mouse game of deceit and intrigue.

The perfect definition of 'Action-lite', it is impossible to fake the faintest enthusiasm, even for perpetually shirtless twi-hunk Taylor Lautner. Now before Team Jacob fans get up in arms, he actually did a relatively decent in his first foray into leading role territory delivering a modicum of believability. Although his facial expressions and acting range is limited, Lautner has strong and genuine action physicality.

The curious thing about this movie is not the plot, as you would think, but the fact that absolutely nothing works. The surprising supporting cast including heavyweights Weaver, Isaacs, Bello, Michael Nyqvist and the uncredited Dermot Mulroney do their best but can't even make it look good. Sadly, lead actress Lily Collins although shares a nice chemistry with Lautner (of whom were dating during filming) drags the project further into the abyss.

The Verdict: Bordering on ridiculous, the top-notice advice offered early in the piece "there will be a time for you to deal with all of this, but right now you need to get your (act) together" is more serendipitous than the writer could have expected.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 30/09/2011
Null
February 24, 2016
Despite having some potential it is completely weighed down. Abduction tries to be like the Bourne films as well as having some Twilight like romance. This movie has literally little to no redeeming qualities and is definitely not worth your time unless you're into inept teen flicks.
February 9, 2016
People are just hating on it because it has Taylor Lautner. Give movies a chance...
January 15, 2016
well all those who are hating this movie should realize that it is a movie on a teen who gets in trouble and faces it not about a super spy. It is all about a teen doing action and trying to save his life from assassin and movie is fairly entertaining. Don't expect Bond or Json bourne stuff then you will enjoy it.
½ December 23, 2015
Predictable dialogue
½ November 28, 2015
AMAZING MOVIE!!!! I loved it!! Don't know why I'd never heard about it!! It's cool.
½ November 10, 2015
The problem is not that Taylor Lautner is a bad actor, but that this film has too many plot holes to get off the ground. And although its widely forgettable, it's not particularly terrible.
November 6, 2015
It was ok, you're intertained for the moment. Not really believeable that a kid can do everything he does but..
½ September 20, 2015
Nothing here that hasn't been done better 100 times before.
½ July 16, 2015
I really liked this movie. I don't know why it's so hated? This is a Bourne movie for younger viewers. Please don't listen to all of the negative reviews of the movie and give it a chance. I'm not saying that Taylor Lautner is good in this because he is not but the reason I watched this because it has a good concept and is a fun action/ thriller
July 6, 2015
When I saw the trailer for Abduction, I thought it was a pretty cool idea with a bad actor in it, but while watching it, It was nothing more than a nothing, incompetent film. I didn't care for any of the characters, nothing seemed believable. The romance is forced. If there is something good to find in this movie, I have seen many other movies that can do it a lot better than this movie did.