About Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

About Time Reviews

½ February 16, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: As a general rule, I think Richard Curtis is hugely under-appreciated as a film-maker, and nowhere is that more the case than where his 'About Time' is concerned. Now of course his overall reception is largely down to genre-prejudice, but for me this film is the best example of how he always balances everything so well, and in doing so creates a genuinely excellent movie that still largely gets critically forgotten.
For a start, About Time strikes the perfect balance between taking itself seriously, and having a bit of fun, and that exists both in the story itself, as well as in the tone of the film where different types of humour are used at all the right times to relieve from all the emotion. It is a silly plot after all, but it's yet again one that you can take a bit seriously because its characterisation and relationships are so well-built by Curtis and his amazing cast. The investment you have is nurtured too, as there's just the right levels of both soppy happy endings and difficult twists and turns to keep you there without swallowing you up or spitting you out. It's also paced rather elequently (which agreeably is something that can't be said for all of Curtis' ventures) and has some lovely themes that are yet again treated with the right level of exploritative seriousness and light-hearted whit too. Basically, About Time works because it's a proper balance between excellent 'rom' and brilliant 'com,' but putting those words together sadly puts some off before they even try it.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Maybe the silly (and often over-convenient) plot lose some sense of the relateable realities of love, life, and death, but if you take it as not-so-seriously as the movie does, you wont really mind at all.
VERDICT: It's About Time people gave Richard Curtis a big pat on the back. He delivers his most balanced film here, and I really love it.
February 7, 2017
Gleeson, Hollander, and Nighy could sell me anything, no matter what. Throw in my woman-crush McAdams and I'm even willing to overlook all this time travel nonsense and bump up this otherwise poor rom-com a whole undeserved star.

I am but a mere mortal, I have weaknesses, sue me.
February 6, 2017
One of the most beautiful and sincere films I have ever seen.
February 1, 2017
A guy from a privileged background uses his time travelling powers to set himself up in life with a beautiful wife, job, kids etc. Then, and only then, he tells us that he is going to stop using his gift and live every day to the full... and we should too! F@%k off Bill Nighy is great though:)
½ January 26, 2017
Funny, witty, dramatic film of a man that has the ability, that all of us wished for, travel time. To make big life choices with time on one's side. Very beautiful tale about love and life. Not a must see, simple entertaining.
January 3, 2017
- My dad!
- My son.
:'(
½ December 31, 2016
Lovely, lovely, truly lovely!
½ December 30, 2016
The leads lack chemistry...and the dialogue is lackluster, fortunately the interesting concepts and worthwhile message make it a reasonable watch
½ December 30, 2016
This movie is telling us something very important and fabulous way
½ December 28, 2016
Interesting take on time travel and how it can be used to better family life.
December 16, 2016
A pleasant heart strong tugger.
½ December 9, 2016
Is there anything more pleasant than a film that just makes you feel all warm inside? About Time, the latest from romantic comedy writer/director Richard Curtis, is one of those films. It's a delightful little experience that just oozes sentimentality and warmth, even when it delves into more serious subjects. The heart and soul of this film ultimately stems from the lead performance, that of Domhnall Gleeson. Gleeson nails every facet of this character that the story requires: his naive charm is irresistable, his aimlessness is relatable, and his comedic timing is on point. The comparisons between Gleeson and Hugh Grant are completely on-point. Alongside him, Rachel McAdams' own natural sense of charm is a perfect match for Gleeson, and the two work impeccably work together. Also worth mentioning is Bill Nighy, who is utterly perfect as the father figure to Gleeson's Tim. The sort of sci-fi aspect it brings to the table, the Tim's ability to travel back in time as he chooses, is more of an extension of the themes on hand than a gimmick, which is a refreshing change of pace that never detracts from the main romance. If there's anything to nitpick, its the blatant breaking of the time travel rules (established very early on in the film) in the break-into-three portion of the film, but its a plot hole that's so easily forgiven because of the pure joy this film is sure to instill.
½ December 8, 2016
About Time starts off as a typical romantic comedy, with a few unnecessary scenes or narrative choices that can definitely tighten the script down, until it suddenly becomes a sentimental drama with some well-intentioned wisdom about time and life
½ December 8, 2016
I have seen this twice now. Upon viewing the 2nd time I realized how great this movie is. It's the perfect blend of comedy, romance, melancholy and a touch of sci-fi. The characters are wonderful. I saw that Richard Curtis was the director and remember he directed my wife and I beloved movies, Love Actually. The connection you feel with the characters along with the perfect selection of music is a staple in both movies.
½ November 30, 2016
Have you ever thought "Time"? In my case No, before I watched this movie.
I could notice that how important "Time" is. After I watched this movie,
I become think about "Time" deeply. I really recommend this movie so I will introduce this story plot. This movie's leading actor can Time travel, but he can go only past time. So he often back to time to redo something.
When he met a so nice girl, he couldn't do cool to her. So he back to past time and he redoing again and again. Because of this, he could get girl friend and also he got merry! I like this part of movie after merry.
I think this movie's actor and actress is fantastic. This movie's heroine is Mary was played by Rachel McAdams. Her acting impressed me. Espacially when Mary was angry to baby, she was so impatiented, because Mary's baby made mess. So Mary was so angry. Rachel McAdams played this scene. It was so emotional. Her expression was great.
And Domhnall Gleeson's acting also so nice. Domhnall Gleeson played Tim.
I think his acting is mistrials and realistic. His crying scene was awesome. I was impressed.
This movie was made in British. So you can see beautiful scenery.
If you intrested in British, It's good movie. You can see British scenery.
I recommend the party scene. The party scene is romantic. You can see so nice British restaurant and town. After watch this movie I become want to go British.
Music surface, this movie's music is awesome. For example, "Push the button" is sung by Sugababes. This music is used in New york party scene.
I like this song. I recommend it. Other is "How long will I love you" song by jon Boden and Sam Sweeney and Ben Coleman. This music also awesome. I often listen this music when I feel sad.
At the end, the movie of Last part is sprising. I cried a lot. I was impressed by the last part of words. Tim rearised importance of Time.
I also noticed that how importance time is. After watch this movie I consider about daily life. I want to live every day in a meaningful way so that i will not regret it afterwards.
November 28, 2016
If you're looking for a sweet and lovely coming of age film with some of the most charming actors, this is the film for you. If you are looking to take yourself very seriously, this is not the film for you. The film is a nice break from the hectic details of life, and always can put a smile on my face. Giving it 5 stars because it is my favorite film because of how simple and sweet it is without a gimmick. Oh, and theres time travel that isn't incredibly complicated and sci-fi.
November 15, 2016
Absolutely beautiful movie which really made me think why am I complicating life instead of enjoying the moment? This is the sort of movie I should rewatch every now and then to remind me of how precious time is.
½ November 11, 2016
This film is almost the TV series in Canada about a girl opening doors to change her past. Here we have a guy where all the family men get to travel in the past whenever they want after they reach 21 years old (I think). The nerd gets to cheat all he wants in life but he still get to learn valuable lessons, and us too. It is a nice comedy, well done, and the authors thought well of almost all of the situations we would think of. Very well thought and thoughtful. Of course this is still cheating to get the girl(s) or learning why not to get some. Nice music. Must work well for date film.