Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Reviews

sir earl
½ July 16, 2017
Although I'm have an admitted love for vampire movies, I also admit that I was conservative about seeing labeled as " Abraham Lincoln" vampire hunter. I didn't know if it would be camp-corny should I be prepared to take it as a light or dorky comedy movie ..or will it be serious ?
But once the origin began in the civil war era and how it revealed the fate of the parents of young Abraham, and his search for vengeance, I could see it is set to be a not only serious but fast moving. Afterwards I could see how clever it was to have this vampire flick centered around one of our presidents.

One thing that was so unbelievably striking was how Benjamin walker who plays Abraham Lincoln, has an uncanny resemblance to veteran actor Liam Neeson that I just couldn't get by until he grew the beard later on.

Another thing I can always be very thankful for is the pace. It gets off to a good start and stays that way for the better part of the film. There's a Vampire hunter teacher and a brief vampire hunting training session before Link is sent on his way to rid the town of hidden vampires. You see gadget weapons and near close calls from some of the vampire battles.

There are a couple times where I thought that seem kind of dorky. -one which is young Abraham prefers to use of a long axe rather than loaded guns or swords. Another was the horse stampede chase which reminded me very much of the dinosaur stampede in the 2005 version of King Kong . One confusion in another scene is how can a trained vampire hunter be subdued and jailed by mere humans.

It has the slow motion CGI effects that similar to the " 300" film and Spartacus series in a number of action scenes. And it actually has a couple of " jump-scare" scenes that took me by surprise. Of course there's a love discovery and connection but it was brief and never threaten to slow down the film. There's a unexpected emotional tragedy. And even I paused at the end when I heard the Lincolns preparing to go the theater.

I don't recall any light humor and I didn't connect " president" Lincoln until the bottom half of the film when the biggest part of the civil war took affect. And the movie producers keep the act of the civil war movement in well. Blended it in quite nicely and carefully in not lingering and speech it out to slow down the good pace of the the film.

But besides just the one on one vampire battles, there's the Undead vampire southern rebels soldiers, Horse carnage busting thru walls,, horse stampede, great train ride, and even Mother Lincoln finally getting her revenge.

Also ....If you had seen this film in 3-D .. you would have loved the way the vampires " JUMP" out at you. Otherwise everything else about the 3-D is pretty ordinary. Don't let the name-title fool you, it actually ended up being a good, enjoyable vampire-action flick.

Note: pays close action to the ending scene of the film. to see if you can draw indentify to who the vampire hunter is talking to at the liquor bar.

I give it a 7.0 out of 10.
½ June 21, 2017
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is exactly what you'd expect. A fun action movie with an over the top story and pretty well directed fight scenes.
June 20, 2017
A letdown from the magnificent book. Hard time transferring to screen, hard to watch.
May 8, 2017
the book i give 5 stars. it is amazing at mixing history with fighting mythical creatures. The movie definitely takes liberties the book doesn't.
April 16, 2017
What a film, blistering action, quality acting, better than Daniel Day Lewis in Abraham Lincoln!

In the top 5 films of my life so far!

Foreshadowing is beautiful from the get go!
½ February 24, 2017
It's got a ton of style and was far more competent than I would have ever expected but the bizarre and silly premise is taken far too seriously.
February 19, 2017
As a totally unapologetic no holds barred ridiculous action packed fantasy historical film it was ludicrous fun and a dizzying high as long as you leave expectation and rationality behind. It was as much fun as a huge serving of cotton candy. I have to say I love bad ass Abe with the axe.
½ February 5, 2017
Abraham lincoln vampire hunter if you just read the name of the movie u think it will be a Crap B movie that just SUCKS. If u watch the movie how ever u will see that its a realy good movie the premise of the movie is the title of the movie sound stupid but they make it work and i never heard of anyone who seen the movie that said its bad. i was quite shockt when i saw that it had 35% of criteces and 50% of audience on here. i feel like ppl just coulden t get over the Lincoln as a vampire part and didnt bother to see the whole movie its worth your time just trust me watch the movie.
January 14, 2017
I thought it was pretty amazing, actually. Cool story, excellent effects. It's not going to be 100% true to history, obviously, but it was better than I expected it to be. Mary Todd Lincoln and Harriet Tubman were awesome female leads. Henry and Will were great sidekicks for Lincoln. Lincoln kicked ass, especially with that axe! I also love how they threw in a Linkin Park song.
January 3, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
½ January 1, 2017
Whoever had the idea to mix zombies and Abraham Lincoln deserves recognition but the lack of cinema knowledge here feels awkard.
December 30, 2016
I LOOOOVED this movie! I went in expecting it to be great and it did't disappoint. Int he film, Lincoln and Mary's chemistry seemed genuine! Walker, Cooper, and Winstead were all fantastic! One of my favorites!!!
December 6, 2016
This is actually the first vampire film that I've watched from beginning to end, and I remember that I said it was decent, but not the best vampire film I have seen even though it's the first vampire movie. I didn't understand why at the time, but when I saw it on TV, not only did I understand why, but it kind of downgraded my opinion from decent to all right. Even though the premise is ridiculous, I can't help but give credit to the filmmakers for doing something that's new, even though it's based on a book. The screenplay by Seth-Grahame-Smith, who also did the book, is all right, nothing special. The action is pretty good, but most of them look off. The scares are not effective, and the plot has been done before. The twists in here are very predictable, one of the villains could've been better. While the make-up on Abraham Lincoln is pretty good, but the make-up on Mary Todd looks laughably bad. Some of the characters could've been handled better and the film gets silly ah the end. There's some good thrills, but it doesn't matter as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter could've been better, but the execution of it was subpar.
November 25, 2016
Have read the book -anxiously awaiting the movie!
November 13, 2016
Entertaining adaption of a fun book.
November 5, 2016
Despite it's inane title, it's actually quite and entertaining and good movie. Although it does take it self way too seriously and there's a dreadful overuse of CGI, which wasn't always pulled off perfectly, it still a fun flick with plenty of great actors and action sequences. But not to be confused with Abraham Lincoln vs. zombies, which is apparently really shitty. Recommended !!
September 19, 2016
I don't know what I expected to be honest but this is very meh.... Hope the book is better.
September 3, 2016
I now accept this as actual history.
August 31, 2016
A must see action adventure led by a great performance by Benjamin Walker!
August 16, 2016
Produced by Tim Burton and directed by Timur Bekmambetov best known for the action flick 'Wanted' and who also happens to be helming the Ben-Hur remake. Visually well done but lacking pretty much in everything else.