Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Reviews

January 17, 2018
Strengths: First and foremost, this succeeds where a comedy should. It's funny. There are tons of quotable moments and absurd situations that leave you in stitches. Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura) gives one of his better physical comedy performances. It's as if the role was written completely with only him in mind. He's perfect for the over the top zaniness of the character. A lot of it is the kind of stuff that might not read funny in the script, but comes to life because of Carrey.

Weaknesses: While Carrey shines, everyone else takes a step back and nobody stands out. Courteney Cox (Melissa), Sean Young (Finkle/Einhorn) and Tone Loc (Emilio) are all kind of just there. Dan Marino plays himself and still somehow manages to struggle. Most of the sexual jokes fall flat and a few things go too far over the top and miss the mark. The plot moves along at a good pace, though things are pretty far fetched to get from point A to point B.

Overall: It's not a movie with a great story, but it wasn't meant to be. It knows how ridiculous the setup is and they have fun with it. A few jokes miss, but for the most part, it's hilarious thanks to Jim Carrey and his antics.
½ January 13, 2018
heads up..

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

There is some content in there and bits of comic scenes but it doesn't quite mix up even though Jim puts his heart into it.
January 1, 2018
This movie was funny! This is not high brow humor but if you are looking for something crazy and funny with immature humor, this is one of the best. This is Jim Carrey at his best...being wild and crazy.
December 31, 2017
A classic comedy and a must-see.
½ December 30, 2017
This is not a quality movie. And I don't thinks it's supposed to be, either. This was meant to be a ridiculous and weird money grab meant solely meant for entertainment. While there are a few funny moments and Jim Carey isn't bad (of course), I recommend skipping this one and watching a better Jim Carey movie.
½ December 29, 2017
A stupid film with a few good laughs due to Jim Carrey.
½ December 26, 2017
I must say that it's a very funny movie, Jim Carey was in much funnier movies but the beginning of the movie pulled you in to watch it. I was watching this with my parents and it was very awkward with the inappropriate scenes in this. Other than that it's a good movie.
December 25, 2017
Jim is the man. Ace Ventura is a great fun movie. Dan Marino is awesome
½ December 25, 2017
It has about 4 long hard belly-laughs in it for me. Other funny bits. Appealingly stupid movie that works for me. 7.1 out of 10
December 21, 2017
A bit dated now, but still a classic with heaps of laughs and Jim Carrey's once unique brand of entertainment.
December 16, 2017
A great comedy with a great outrageous character. Jim Carey owns this role completely.
December 15, 2017
Jim Carrey is hilarious and it's no wonder why this is one of his most recognizable movies.
December 8, 2017
Probably one of Jim Carrey's most craziest/over acting performances out of his comedy collection. But still one of my favourites by him, I've been laughing at this for far to long to dislike it, hilarious!
December 4, 2017
Parts of this still make me laugh a little bit, but I found it funnier when I was a teenager. Jim Carrey busted out with this movie so I appreciate it or that, but ultimately, it is just average and over the top.
½ November 19, 2017
I first saw the sequel, so when I watched the movie a few years later it was kinda a let down...
½ November 12, 2017
Jim Carrey's over-the-top performance might please some, but bother or annoy others, however the case, this slapstick-detective comedy has some oddly smart moments in the middle of its absurdity and that's something to be thankful for, considering how the film struggles to find its balance between serious themes and hilarious jokes, not taking it too seriously at times or too self aware, turning out, at the end of the day, into a divisive memorable guilty pleasure.
October 30, 2017
Jim Carrey has an unbelievable ability to flex and bend in several ways while making people laugh. In In Living Color. Mr. Carrey somehow pops his shoulder out of socket by overdoing a stretch while teaching a few ladies to become built and strong. He also portrays an old man by hunching over while being drunk at the same time. I bring this up to you because it is Jim's unique ability to bend over backwards to generate laughs that makes Ace Ventura: Pet Detective a good movie.
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is undoubtedly a good film. Airing in 1994 and starring Jim Carrey, the film combines most of the elements of a good movie. It is no wonder why everyone wanted Jim in their own films after seeing this movie. In the film, Ace Ventura, a pet detective, takes on the case of finding the Miami Dolphins missing mascot and Hall of Famer Dan Marino. Ace smothers the case like Sherlock but not before going on some laughable adventures. This movie excels in the aspects of comedy, character likeability, but lost its fame in the conclusion.
The comedy in the movie is a definite strong suit. Jim Carrey's trademarks like his flexible body movements, crazy catch phrases, and wild manner makes this movie funny. His quick and witty responses while receiving heat from other characters like "Alrighty then!" or "No spank you!" generate laughs. Jim's flexible body movements and wild manner come out best in the scene in which Ace is trying to get admitted into the mental hospital. More specifically, he executes a button hook pattern super slow-mo and also does it in rewind. These body movements are hard for most actors to execute; Jim does it with ease. Jim Carrey makes this this movie unique and unlike any other movie of its time.
The main reason that Ace is likeable is that the audience can relate to him. Being deemed a laughing stock and a joke of a detective, he faces negativity. Still, he doesn't let the negativity get to him and he pushes through and eventually proves himself by solving the mystery and putting Ray Finkle in jail. Ace overcoming adversity brings the story to a personal level makes the movie interesting.
Unexpected endings and protagonists overcoming flaws make for good endings; Pet Detective has neither. The ending was expected as the good guy wins in the end. The movie was quite predictable. In conclusion, however, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is still a film to watch. It has a lot of laughable moments through quotes and acting. The audience can relate to the main character quite easily which draws the viewer to like him. Ace Ventura is a person that is very hard not to like. I know that if Mr. Carrey was signing autographs nearby, I would do everything in my fanboy ability to get that autograph.
October 25, 2017
Jim Carrey is a hero
October 23, 2017
First time I saw this movie it made me laugh from start to finish. It's ridiculous! It still makes me laugh
October 21, 2017
Ace Ventura is Jim Carrey?s typical, goofy style; but it still is very funny to watch.