19% Transcendence Apr 18

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
This was Jim Carrey's first official role and launched his brilliant career. He stars as Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. "He's the best there is. Actually, he's the only one there is." The mascot of the Miami Dolphins "Snowflake the Dolphin" has been kidnapped. It is Ace's job to find this dolphin. He has help from Courney Cox (Arquette) and Sean Young who has a funny but sick story towards the end. There is also an appearance by legendary Miami Dolphin player Dan Marino (as himself). A hilarious film with wonderful slapstick and cuddly animals thrown in. The best part for me is seeing Ace being thrown about by a shark! Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls followed. Very good! 3 Stars 3-12-98
Alice S

August 10, 2007
LACES OUT! EINHORN *IS* FINKLE! FINKLE *IS* EINHORN! AAAAAAAA.......AAAAAAAA.......AAAAAAAA!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

May 12, 2007
Well its entertaining i dont think its as funny as the second and these arent the best movies in the world, just silly light hearted movies to laugh at!
Jason S

Jim Carrey ROX!!!!!!!!!!! (:
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

August 16, 2011
I simply cannot believe how people can't see how hilarious Ace Ventura: Pet Detective actually is. You cant help but notice Jim Carrey's enthusiasm that brought this hilarous character to life. Ace Ventura is filled with hilarious moments and surreal storytelling that make this film a comedy classic. It's funny and it's well amde and you have to credit Jim Carrey because if it wasn't for his enthusiasm this film might not have even become a cult classic.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Overflows with toilet humor. Jim Carrey at his absolute worst so far.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
Jim Carrey is hilarious, but this was not one of his best.
sergioogarcia
sergioogarcia

June 23, 2011
Classic!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
If you enjoy the outrageous, goofy, somewhat stupid humor of Jim Carrey, you have to see this movie. It's really very funny, and there's a bunch of animals in it, too. I really enjoyed this movie, and I recommend it.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
Don't know what the problem is here! Ace Ventura is my favorite Jim Carrey character. Hands down. I'm sorry, but I don't care if there is a problem with that. He is so amazingly hilarious.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

February 29, 2008
Start of a mediocre career

Update:

I can't believe that was my original review.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is a stupid comedy that had me laughing the whole way through. The only flaw is that I found Jim Carrey's character a bit annoying at times. However, Pet Detective is still a hilarious film that everyone should enjoy!
michael e.
michael e.

December 31, 2010
This is by far one of Jim Carreys funniest films
erika250
erika250

February 26, 2010
Really funny and really good but i was getting sick and tired of the ace after a while.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
C
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 16, 2010
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective was the start of star Jim Carrey's career. At the beginning of the 90's, he made some of the funniest comedies. Ace Ventura being one of them. Jim Carrey is very funny in his big break role, and he was able to make the best out of this role. Ace Ventura is a very funny film with one of the best performances that he has ever given. Ace Ventura was a great break through for Carrey, and he managed to create other memorable roles with Dumb and Dumber and The Mask, and his final great comedy, Me, Myself and Irene before going into a steady decline. Despite this, we at least have films like ce Ventura to remind us that Jim Carrey was once great at making us laugh out loud. Looking back after all the these years, Ace Ventura is still very funny 16 years after it's initial release. Also this film introduced me to Cannibal Corpse, one of the best death metal bands in the underground death metal scene. I saw the TV cut of the film, and theres a scene in thatv version where Jim Carrey gets on stage with Cannibal Corpse, which is absent on the dvd cut of the film. I think it's a great shame because that scene is extremely funny, and any metalhead might enjoy Jim Carrey rocking out with Cannibal Corpse, I know I did. Though not a flawless film, Ace Ventura will definitely give you a good laugh if you're in the mood. Ace Ventura still manages to make me laugh after all these years. Ace Ventura is a very hysterical film with delivery from Jim Carrey, however this is one of Jim Carrey's best comedic outputs at the beginning of the 90's. I just think it was a real shame that he's not able to be as funny as he was in this film.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 28, 2009
When I was a kid, I loved this movie. Had no idea what it meant, but loved it. And above all, above all story, above all acting and everything, Jim Carrey is ah-mazing. Hands down comic genius. Hnads down.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

July 7, 2007
alrightyyyy then....i found this so hiillarious !!!
Carlos M

October 22, 2009
Silly and hysterical, very funny, an entertaining Jim Carrey flick.