Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Reviews

June 11, 2018
Are U all insane?! How you could not like Ace Ventura movies. F mad world ((
½ April 30, 2018
Jim Carrey fez um ótimo papel de ator!
½ April 15, 2018
4/14/2018
As I reach the tender age of 40, I promise to watch those movies from my childhood and beyond that I have not seen yet. This is just one of those specimens. Though opinions may be divided whether this film has aged gracefully or not, one can't deny that the whole movie is pegged to Jim Carrey's facial acrobatics. Some of the humor showcased may not land anymore if this were shown today but I gotta hand it to him and the rest of the cast.
½ March 30, 2018
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective has it's share of problems such as the controversial plot twist revolving around Sean Young's character which upset a lot of LGBT activists and not all of Jim Carrey's physical comedy hits the mark.

However his first film is a mostly entertaining debut for him thanks to his sheer passion for the role of the crazy animal loving detective and his talent at carrying the whole film with his crazy stand-up is something to be admired, without getting too annoying.
March 14, 2018
Greatest movie of all time. Comedy is fantastic, Jim Carrey SLAYS as Ace and the plot is better than your average mystery.
February 17, 2018
Honestly speaking, some nights ago I wanted to watch some stuff on YouTube but hey! An Ace Ventura promo was being passed on TV, so I just turned my phone off and I enjoyed this motion picture. This movie features Jim Carrey as the main character and we can definitely say that this is one of his best works. I'm sure the most part of you will find the plot boring but let's summarize it: Ace Ventura is an animal catcher, that means he searches lost animals and pets for money. But three weeks before the Super bowl, a dolphin, the mascot of a team called Dolphins, is kidnapped, so Ventura has to investigate. He finds out that a football player, who was famous as one of the worst shooters ever, has took the dolphin to revenge against the other team. But hey! Ventura discovers that the police boss is actually that player he was looking for, but in a woman's dress. So at the end the dolphin is found and Ventura is gotten a reward. Technically speaking this movie isn't much: I mean, they could have directed it better, but in some ways, this is a comedy, and a comedy doesn't need to be perfectly directed. After that, I simply loved the acting, who has made me have a good time. Jim Carey and his Ace Ventura will make you laugh for sure.
February 10, 2018
nice fun movie for tweens in the vein of Fletch
February 1, 2018
My sixth all-time favorite comedy.
January 27, 2018
Jim Carrey takes detective work to a whole new hilarious level
January 17, 2018
Strengths: First and foremost, this succeeds where a comedy should. It's funny. There are tons of quotable moments and absurd situations that leave you in stitches. Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura) gives one of his better physical comedy performances. It's as if the role was written completely with only him in mind. He's perfect for the over the top zaniness of the character. A lot of it is the kind of stuff that might not read funny in the script, but comes to life because of Carrey.

Weaknesses: While Carrey shines, everyone else takes a step back and nobody stands out. Courteney Cox (Melissa), Sean Young (Finkle/Einhorn) and Tone Loc (Emilio) are all kind of just there. Dan Marino plays himself and still somehow manages to struggle. Most of the sexual jokes fall flat and a few things go too far over the top and miss the mark. The plot moves along at a good pace, though things are pretty far fetched to get from point A to point B.

Overall: It's not a movie with a great story, but it wasn't meant to be. It knows how ridiculous the setup is and they have fun with it. A few jokes miss, but for the most part, it's hilarious thanks to Jim Carrey and his antics.
½ January 13, 2018
heads up..

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

There is some content in there and bits of comic scenes but it doesn't quite mix up even though Jim puts his heart into it.
January 1, 2018
This movie was funny! This is not high brow humor but if you are looking for something crazy and funny with immature humor, this is one of the best. This is Jim Carrey at his best...being wild and crazy.
December 31, 2017
A classic comedy and a must-see.
½ December 30, 2017
This is not a quality movie. And I don't thinks it's supposed to be, either. This was meant to be a ridiculous and weird money grab meant solely meant for entertainment. While there are a few funny moments and Jim Carey isn't bad (of course), I recommend skipping this one and watching a better Jim Carey movie.
½ December 29, 2017
A stupid film with a few good laughs due to Jim Carrey.
½ December 26, 2017
I must say that it's a very funny movie, Jim Carey was in much funnier movies but the beginning of the movie pulled you in to watch it. I was watching this with my parents and it was very awkward with the inappropriate scenes in this. Other than that it's a good movie.
December 25, 2017
Jim is the man. Ace Ventura is a great fun movie. Dan Marino is awesome
½ December 25, 2017
It has about 4 long hard belly-laughs in it for me. Other funny bits. Appealingly stupid movie that works for me. 7.1 out of 10
December 21, 2017
A bit dated now, but still a classic with heaps of laughs and Jim Carrey's once unique brand of entertainment.