After the Sunset Reviews

• Jul 17, 2017

Wonderful movie. other reviewers are idiots

Wonderful movie. other reviewers are idiots

• May 29, 2017

Are you kidding me?? This is HILARIOUS, with a touch of Bond. The scene on the fishing boat; in the hotel bed?? Comedy classic!!

• Aug 17, 2016

A.. lighthearted thriller?? Well, give'em credit for originality.

A.. lighthearted thriller?? Well, give'em credit for originality.

• Jul 01, 2016

I feel like this movie gets a bad rap. It might be one of my uilty pleasures, but I really like the movie and even enjoy rewatching it several times. Brosnan and Harrelson do great jobs, and even thou Hayek and Harris are kind of annoying, the plot of the movie (and its numerous twists) are actually cool. Is it smart in any way? No, it is pretty mindelss. But it IS fun, and definitely enjoyable.

• Jun 04, 2016

What a terrible movie!

What a terrible movie!

• Sep 17, 2015

One thing we have learned from director Brett Ratner and his films is that they are essential, not out of a need to be cinematically thrilled off our seats, or for any worthwhile experience, but simply for brainless entertainment that reaches the very far side of our mood, and satisfies our desire to be incessantly amused. He is an auteur of fun films with plenty of moments of comedy and character bonding time, but movies that are pretty dumb, and lack a degree of intelligence. The 2004 action comedy film, After the Sunset, is a pinnacle representation of Ratner at his dastardly addictive, yet simultaneously at his most disappointingly low standards he has come to embody. The first and second Rush Hour films preceded, and then the third Rush Hour followed, as did Tower Heist. But it isnâ??t just about comedy for him, for his forayâ??s into drama-land again produced bare films with a lack of brains; Iâ??m looking at you X-Men: The Last Stand and Red Dragon. He may not make the greatest films, but we need his films, for without their brainless entertainment factor, the film industry would be devoid of this sense of dim-witted fun that speaks to us when we are in true need of a dose of nonsense. After the Sunset revolves around a master thief named Max Burdett and his attractive accomplice and girlfriend, Lola Cirillo. After stealing the second of three famous diamonds known as the Napoleon diamonds, and making a fool out of FBI Agent Stanley Lloyd in the process, he and his woman head for Paradise Island in The Bahamas to settle down. After being suspended by the FBI, Stanley follows Max to The Bahamas and the two unwittingly befriend each other, but underneath both have ulterior motives. Max wants the third of the Napoleon diamonds, which is sitting safely upon one of the ships in Paradise Island, and Stanley, aware of this, tails Max constantly in order to gain his respect back. With Max involving a local gangster-like figure in his plan, and Stanley working closely with a local female detective, the climax is seemingly thwarted as love gets in the way for both Max and Stanley. Pierce Brosnan stars as Max Burdett, a thief who seemingly is a master at his job, yet we barely see him in action. I think we are meant to think Brosnan is talented based on his career as James Bond, but otherwise he doesnâ??t dawn on you in any way. His romance with Lola is tedious for he lacks any emotion other than the self-centeredness of his ambition to collect diamonds. Salma Hayekâ??s Lola Cirillo definitely exudes the raw eroticism she is meant to embody, but you end up feeling sorry for her by the end for she is used by Brosnan and is made to be simply a romantic tool for the plot. And Woody Harrelsonâ??s bumbling FBI Agent Stanley Lloyd is potentially the best thing about the film. He is in all the worthwhile moments in the film, most of them comedic, and so we canâ??t help but love his characterâ??s personality and thank Harrelson for providing him. After the Sunset after all is a mismatched film that struggles to flow. Everything is in the wrong order, or chosen wrongly, even some of the choices of casting, setting and storyline are questionable too so it doesnâ??t bode well for audiences. The characters are so unbelievably mismatched I donâ??t understand how the filmmakers even considered these mixture of actors, let alone watch them in action and record their every move, and later on edit them without worrying that this would be a devastating combination. Disorientating and disjointed is what the setting switch does to you, because going from a dull and cloudy urban landscape to the lush tropical island of The Bahamas never allows us to really embrace the humid atmosphere. It is truly a switch for the better, but it is a massive difference that doesnâ??t flow that well. The biggest problem however is that we donâ??t really know what the main storyline is, all we know is the bareness of each subplot is evident, making After the Sunset quite a lacklustre film with nothing worthy of recalling. It is a romantically led film mixed with interweaving action, just what Brosnan embodied as James Bond. If you showed a person this film, then told them Brosnan was once James Bond, they would be shocked to the core, for Brosnan exudes none of the qualities of the worldâ??s greatest spy and simply stumbles his way through the film. The unlikely duo, Brosnan and Harrelson, are perhaps together the only decent feature of the film for the comedy arises from the bromance between them and only them. They are meant to be the worst of enemies that turn friends, and although it makes for good comedy, the lack of identification between Brosnan and Harrelson, ruins ever so slightly the bromance that plays a big part in the film; the blame here goes to the stiff and awkward Brosnan who seems to be the root of everything negative. From the technological car jacking, to the fishing bonding and sun cream spreading, the supposedly drunken night in the Caribbean and the bunking together in the same bed are hilarious moments that make After the Sunset symbolic of Ratnerâ??s signature mindless entertainment. Brosnan and Harrelson are such different actors in terms of their backgrounds and personalities that together they are unthinkable, but somehow at times they function as a comedic team and it is a pleasure to watch. It is a chilled film and that is what makes After the Sunset bearable. We watch it with a drought of high hope and that is why we can hack its thinness as a film, and to an extent enjoy what it offers because we cannot take it seriously. I donâ??t think the actors seem to enjoy their roles that much, and so put in a lack of effort, and After the Sunset reeks of a lack of effort, but we know that and thatâ??s all right depending on the mood we are in. After the Sunset was released as Brosnanâ??s James Bond career culminated, so what could go wrong? Considering he was in the best shape of his life, which was entering the middle-aged stratosphere, and was fresh from being the worldâ??s most recognisable spy, the answer to the question is everything! Doing another spy film that borders the thresholds of romance was at the time and in hindsight a bad decision, for comparisons to Bond will always be made, and letâ??s get the facts right, After the Sunset never had the same audience and would therefore get ravaged by audiences and critics alike. We donâ??t really care much for anything that happens, especially when the diamonds are stolen, or Hayekâ??s heart broken, we just simply feel nothing for what occurs. The twist at the end isnâ??t at all spectacular, but it does make sense, so we canâ??t complain, but like the rest of After the Sunset, it lacks a wow factor that should have been there seeing as it was essentially a knock-off of Brosnanâ??s past career as James Bond. After the Sunset is still a slick film that never remains in the same place, just like pretty much all of the James Bond classics, but unfortunately doesnâ??t do anything meaningful with its time despite being on the move constantly. The Verdict: As weâ??ve come to expect of Brett Ratnerâ??s films, After the Sunset is quite brainlessly diverting, but it is effectively third-rate stuff that shouldnâ??t be given the time of day. â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â?? 2/10

• Aug 14, 2015

Solid cast, okay story, not great, not good, but worth the watch.

Solid cast, okay story, not great, not good, but worth the watch.

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Aug 14, 2015

typical ratner fluff, how people sign on for this I won't know

typical ratner fluff, how people sign on for this I won't know

• Aug 06, 2015

Boy do I like these actors but not here in this overly bloated corpse of a film.

• May 23, 2015

One of my all time favorites!!

One of my all time favorites!!