Aftermath - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aftermath Reviews

June 22, 2017
pretty slow moving. not at all what I was expecting!
June 22, 2017
A very great story. Acting was great, Arnold's accent does get in the way a little bit. It's a very dark story.
½ June 21, 2017
Between this and Maggie, Arnold Schwarzenegger has proven that he's more than just the '80s muscle man we had always given him credit for. Aftermath may not be great, but there's some emotion in there, a relatively satisfying payoff, and as a vehicle for Arnie's dramatic chops, it works fine.
½ June 19, 2017
Not much to remember after seeing.
June 17, 2017
What cinema is all about - just acting talents on display - great film
June 16, 2017
"Oh Arnold, this is what the "Aftermath" looks like when you terminate your "Celebrity Apprentice" hosting duties and bash Donald Trump by simply offering him to switch jobs"
DVD Movie Review: Aftermath
Date Viewed: June 8 2017
Directed By Elliott Lester (Blitz and Nightingale)
Written By Javier Gullón
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Scoot McNairy, Maggie Grace, Judah Nelson, Martin Donovan, Hannah Ware, Mariana Klaveno, Kevin Zegers, Glenn Morshower, Larry Sullivan and Teri Clark Linden.

Oh Arnold, this is what the "Aftermath" looks like when you terminate your "Celebrity Apprentice" hosting duties and bash Donald Trump by simply offering him to switch jobs. "Aftermath" is a drama so broody and very bleak, it feels unfocused and out of place. Arnold Schwarzenegger is trying very hard to be a compelling actor with dramatic range but he fails miserably thanks to a very weak screenplay. The first act of the movie is well drawn but the rest of "Aftermath" feels like it came from depressing therapy sessions.

Inspired by actual events, Arnold plays Roman Melnik, a construction foreman who delightfully gets out of work early because his wife and daughter are coming to visit him. Unfortunately for Roman he gets very sad news, his wife and daughter were killed in a devastating plane crash. Their plane colluded with another plane, both aircrafts crashed into the ground and there are no survivors.

Next we cut to another stranger, Jacob "Jake" Bonanos (Scoot McNairy), the air traffic controller who's labeled responsible for this major airplane collusion and he too is also devastated. Jake blames himself for the deaths of all 271 passengers who were on board those two flights and he slips into a deep depression. His depressed state is so deep, he doesn't know how to cook scrambled eggs and it also takes a toll on his wife, Christina (Maggie Grace) and son, Samuel. The fatal air traffic error not only destroys Jake's life, his house gets sprayed with words such as killer and murderer. Meanwhile, as Roman grieves over the deaths of his wife and daughter, he only has one motive now and that is revenge.

Director Elliott Lester's (Blitz and Nightingale) film does have emotional tendencies but what's missing here is character development and a real story that knows how to deal with guilt and self-pity well. We all know that the former governor of California is trying to win the public back by making small, devastatingly grim dramas but "Aftermath" is the kind of low-rent film you would normally find at your local pharmacy or grocery store for $9.99.

Don't get down on your luck Arnold, you just need to "GET TO THE CHOPPA!" and find scripts that will value your dramatic chops.
½ June 13, 2017
As much as I love Arnold ( one of my childhood heroes). He couldn't save this . It felt like a lifetime movie. Too much of stuff that didn't Matter... dragging on and on. I was caring less about the characters as the movie moved forward . The ending was the most impactful part and it all but got skipped over and crammed in like 5 mins at the end . Anyway I'm over it. Ready for Arnold's next one .
June 12, 2017
Trash not interested at all
June 12, 2017
Some one should apologize for this movie. Bad, Bad, Bad!
½ June 12, 2017
Good story just could have been alot better. Jumped from one side to the other. Director trys to make you feel the characters emotional struggle but it only makes for a boring 3/4 of movie. The ending was was good just time line jumps
June 11, 2017
If the ending was better this could have been a really good movie. I liked the acting and the mood, but the last 15 or 20 minutes really killed it.
June 10, 2017
Sad but good movie! Cast is good! A bit slow n predictable but I'd watch it again.
June 9, 2017
Schwarzenegger and McNairy give tremendous performances while the crew deliver inspired visuals, editing and sound design. It's a brutal and realistic film that doesn't sugar coat the harsh truth of its events and characters. Personally, I've this stage in Schwarzenegger's career, with him taking on more dramatic and subtle roles like this and "Maggie". I also recommend that after seeing them film, viewers should read up on the real life events and people that inspired the film.
½ June 8, 2017
Some great acting, especially from McNairy and surprisingly from Arnold as well. The story is gutwrenchingly tragic and considering it's a true story makes it all the worse. Some choices are made by the characters that makes it harder to sympathise with them, but it's quite human reactions and I appreciate that.
June 7, 2017
Schwarzenegger in ok grief drama.
May 31, 2017
A film that depicts the struggle of life after losing part of your family in a tragic way and the mental struggle that comes with it. Personally, I enjoyed Aftermath. Its dark, has real and raw emotion, decent acting and script. It's not a hidden gem but it is a solid film to check out. The third act I didn't expect and didn't see coming and it savored it from being subpar, barely ok. I enjoyed Aftermath and in my opinion was a decent watch, I'd ignore the critics.
May 21, 2017
Disappointingly made film about a subject which could have been so much better handled.
½ May 14, 2017
Oh Arnold. What a sad, pathetic man you have become.
May 13, 2017
A complete boring, slow, lame, lazy, generic and forgettable approach of the real accident. Arnold Schwarzenegger still can't find his dramatic tone, he has simply not much of dramatic acting skills. While Scoot McNairy manages to elevate the movie minimally, it isn't enough to save this. People who were expecting an ambiguos thriller will be disappointed.
May 7, 2017
I love Arnold as everybody knows me knows that, and his acting was great in my opinion, as it was in one of his other recent dramas, Maggie. However, the films sluggish pace unfortunately made the movie kind of dull overall. There could have been some scenes put in to beef up the tension (a court scene where the airline TC found not guilty, arnold flips). Not a bad watch but don't expect Mr. Box office action Arnie.