Airport Reviews

• Jul 17, 2020

There i nothing special here.

There i nothing special here.

• Jun 09, 2020

At some parts very unrealistic/unbelievable and at other times very misogynistic. For one, I highly doubt if someone set off a bomb, that the plane would be ok and that the only casualty would be the suicide bomber. Also, that one plane just getting of the tarmac ground using power-come on. They also should've moved Vern right away to safety instead of just hoping n praying the back part didn't fall off-that's medical advice 101. All the pilots were having affairs with stewardesses and the wives are ok with it. Its like doctors hooking up with nurses- sure it happens, but that's not the norm-we are too busy and many of us are married. Secondly, I doubt the wives would just be like oh ok with that. Other than that, I did enjoy this film. It had a good level of suspense and action with a good speed of flow. It also did a good job of setting the airport atmosphere. Sadly, we don't get free meals/baggage anymore and in general airplanes seems to have gone down hill in terms of customer service with delays and overbooking very common. A lot more of flying is automated now I think as well. This movie is prob about as exciting as it gets as far as 2 hours worth of filming mostly in an airport.

• May 07, 2020

The best of the "Airport..." movies - perhaps the only good one. If you like realistic pilot/aircraft/ground details you'll like this. The cast is great and the writing, though dated is quite good. Was flying ever really like this?

• Mar 05, 2020

Wasn't a big fan of this one. Too much emphasis on the melodrama and not enough disaster elements. Far too much talking focusing on the interpersonal relationships. At least it paved the way for better movies in the genre.

• Oct 10, 2019

Disaster movies were a trend that largely petered out after the hilariously funny spoof Flying High (1980) but this was the film that arguably kicked everything off what with it being one of the highest grossing films of 1970 and a Best Picture nominee. I can't say I understand why it was such a runaway success as while I think actors like Maureen Stapleton and Burt Lancaster are capable of very fine performances even they can't overcome a screenplay as bland and ridiculous as this. The ‘thrills' that the movie would have provided in 1970 are no longer valid for today's audiences as compared to the intense, exciting stunts that can be seen in the latest Mission Impossible film the bombing in this film appears cheap. All in all I think it was a real disappointment that this was film was nominated for Best Picture as other films released in 1970, The Landlord (1970) and The Conformist (1970) to name a few, would have been more deserving of the honor. A snowstorm occurs at the Lincoln International Airport in Chicago, Illinois which leaves a plane scheduled to carry several passengers stuck in the snow. Handling the incident is stressed manager Mel Bakersfeld, Burt Lancaster, who is having an affair with his judicious employee Tanya Livingston, Jean Seberg. Pilot Vernon Demerest, Tony Curtis, finds out that his longtime mistress, stewardess Gwen Meighen, Jacqueline Bisset, is pregnant before takeoff and this weighs on his conscience. Meanwhile elderly stowaway Ada Quonsett, Helen Hayes, evades capture and failed contractor D.O. Guerrero, Van Heflin, plans to bomb the plane while being chased by his concerned wife Ines, Maureen Stapleton. Eventually the bomb does go off with disastrous consequences but most of our characters end up happy. The film tries to blend several different genres as we get the occasional dash of comedy with Hayes while being expected to taking Bisset's pregnancy very seriously. In an era where 9/11 occurred it is harder to enjoy a film like this as a silly piece of entertainment as the idea of a plane being hijacked is very real and scary. The scene of the bombing itself is not helped by the fact that the pregnant stewardess is knocked unconscious but is somehow able to hold onto the side of the plane and face no consequences from the rather heavy physical impact. We aren't shocked or excited by the action, emotionally moved by the drama and we don't break out into a fit of giggles when Hayes pulls her "I'm naughty and cute" routine so whatever tone the film is aiming for it never quite achieves any of them. In terms of the performances everybody seems to be phoning it in as the main star of the film, Lancaster, referred to it as "The worst piece of junk ever made." Only Stapleton really manages to carve out a decent dramatic performance as she is quite affecting as the nervous, traumatized who cannot believe what her husband is doing. We feel her shock and terror in the brief moments we spend with her and it would have been nice to focus on her perspective more rather than hearing about the various supposedly illicit affairs going on between older men and their improbably attractive female co-stars. The other performances are a mixed bag as while Lancaster and Curtis just seemed bored and Hayes pulls out her usual shtick Seberg is legitimately awful and Bisset is robotic. Sure, the screenplay is not serving them particularly well but you would have hoped that stars of this caliber could have added something to such bland, unwritten characters. Sadly, it is not as though disaster movies would improve over the following years as The Poseidon Adventure (1972) and Earthquake (1974) were equally dreadful. Thank goodness Hollywood moved on from these spectacles as while they provided the opportunity to unite a group of movie stars who may or may not have had chemistry they lacked any substance. At least Airport 1975 (1975) fully committed to being a cheesy piece of popcorn entertainment but the makers of this film seemed to genuinely believe that they were saying something about humanity. If you want to watch any of the Best Picture nominees from 1970 look no further than Five Easy Pieces (1970).

• Jun 27, 2019

most boring movie in history

most boring movie in history

• Apr 26, 2019

Nevermind the highbrow snark on this movie. Or the lowbrow ignorance of ‘dated’. Of course its dated. But that doesn’t matter. The high gloss cheese of this is exactly why it IS great. And lets be honest, of all the films from 1970, what red blooded human would not find this a more fun watch, than Patton, MASH, Women in Love, Five Easy Pieces...combined? Relax. Sometimes films can just be fun, and it does not mean they are bad.

• Apr 02, 2019

I’m sure it was great at the time but it hasn’t aged well. First half is just dull. Lot of technobabble.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best movie score ever composed!

The best movie score ever composed!

• Dec 10, 2018

Great, classic ensemble piece. It's the grandaddy of disaster films. This is the one that started it all. And even though it's overly long, suffers from the showy acting of yesteryear and doesn't feature all that much action, it's quite engaging. All the subplots keep you interested throughout, as the tension ramps up. May be a bit of a slog for modern audiences, but I love it.