Ajami - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ajami Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
Chilling, realistic and terrifically promising rare crime thriller showing the rippling effect of middle eastern conflict from both Jewish n Arabic perspective. The 2 directors of this Oscar nominated movie, one being a Palestinian and other a Israeli Jewish has bravely constructed a convoluted nonlinear plot finishing to a spectacular climax.
July 13, 2016
Ajami is a brutal, gripping and honest look at the endless violence that has been devastating the Middle East - a complex mosaic drama set in a neighborhood where Jews, Muslims and Christians clash against each other in intense hatred and desire for revenge.
½ October 13, 2014
Loved that this was a film about Israel Palestine, but was nothing about the political situation. All 3 religions living, working and loving together........showing the very strong family connections and obligations that there are in that part of the world. That is at least something that the West could try to learn from
August 26, 2014
An amazing piece of film making directed by a Palestinian and Israeli. It gives a glimpse of the brutal realities of life there
May 4, 2014
What a powerful film!!! Impressive collaborative effort from a Palestinian and Israeli weaving the fabric of a seemingly complex story made fairly simple by showing the connective fibers of human decision and circumstances across ethnic, religious and physical boundaries. Even going back and forth in time like a Tarantino film it was still easy to follow, as the past leading to the fateful end unfolded in gripping detail.

This film really has the power to open a heart-wrenching window into the everyday struggles of the people in the part of the world that we often hear about in sound bytes on the news. Great storytelling!!!
May 1, 2014
Harrowing but excellent. The ending leaves you reeling. Real performances, and gives you insights into what it's like in this Muslim/Christian/Jewish neighbourhood of Israel.
½ August 4, 2013
five stories about life and crime in tel aviv- chapter one was a bit of a snooze, chapter two was followed by more killing. chapter three yet more fighting and crying.
kinda tuned out after chapter three and hoped for the end to come quicker. not that the movie sucked; it just failed to engage me, dunno why.
July 21, 2013
A little long, complicated and somewhat confusing story with some dull moments but it had some fairly realistic, natural, though lacklustre acting at times in a documentary like visual style. The film's characters and plots are able to sustain enough interest with it's multiple storylines that thread together in a web of several perspectives; which in the end comes together well.
July 6, 2013
A fantastically well written, well acted, well directed and well shot film. You barely notice its 2 hr length, as every minute is rich in drama and character. It's not an epic film by any stretch, but it's a significant one - bringing forth an engaging, touching, and at times poetic, story of a part of the World where life has complexities we understand little of. It may not quite match fellow notable Foreign Language Oscar nominees, City Of God, A Separation, or A Prophet; but it comes very close and has much in common with all three.
June 29, 2013
Slow beginning but it was ok over all.
February 19, 2013
This is certainly a film with impact, starting off with the retaliatory execution of a young boy, the start of a family war. It is hard at first to fathom what is going on. Until you realize it is really a mafia type story with a bit of Romeo and Juliet thrown in. Who are the good guys and bad guys? That is just the point, they're really all the same. As emphatically stated by Omar, the main character, power and money is all that counts. Drug dealing and murder, rather than civilized commerce is de riguereur in the chaos of this violent world. The sad thing is, the film provides no answer, much like the rivalry of the Montagues and Capulets leads to death of their children. Except, maybe, when the Muslim boy, Omar, falls in love with a Christian girl, Hadir, although abhorrent to both sides, the warring factions must learn to get along.
½ February 9, 2013
This movie blew me away. It's just great, really. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but it's still great.
January 7, 2013
Created by a Palestinian and an Israeli, Ajami weaves an intense story with brilliant and extremely real performances.
December 24, 2012
I loved this movie. The director does an awesome job of storytelling while only giving you bits of information as you go, letting the reader ponder what is going on and why. At the end of the film, the viewer will be left with the belief that each action carries with it another reaction, and that action another action. Highly recommended.
½ September 29, 2012
The story was told well, and the young actors were great. It did take awhile for everything to come together and make since which was the bad part, but I did like the flashbacks and scenes that basically filled in the blank. It was just slow at getting to it. I do wish the ending could've been resolved but that could just be me wondering what happened to everyone since it ended so abruptly. Overall, I think it's worth watching if you have 2 hours to spare and want to watch something different than what Hollywood puts out.
September 26, 2012
Despair, despair, despair. For the believable, relatable characters, the region, and the sad world we live in.
½ September 9, 2012
Out of all the films nominated at 82nd Academy Awards, Ajami is probably my favorite. A story of a torn-nation, forbidden love, family and crime. It's a masterpiece!
½ August 4, 2012
A good take on life in Israel from a largely Arab point of view. It's a thriller, with a plot that draws together the story lines of the main characters through a series of narratives. The time lines overlap, to bring all the tales together at the final denouement. It's also short on explanatory detail, so as a whole it's tricky to follow: but well worth persevering as it tells a good tale of life in the more difficult strata of Israeli society today. Tragedy, needless violence, desperation in the face of poverty. These characters do bad stuff in response to bad situations.
½ July 24, 2012
Good depiction of the toil and harsh realities of life for families in Israel, although there is a lot to keep up with here as there are plenty of subplots to follow.
July 8, 2012
You have to applaud the fact that all the performances in the movie are delivered by non-professionals, although I had an especially difficult time following this movie at times. The linguistic difference between Hebrew and Arabic is important for distinguishing who is talking or where the scene is taking place, for example, and I have a woeful ear for the two. The story is very moving, though, even while the non-linear, multi-arc crossroads of the characters is feeling more and more tiresome in this genre at this point, years removed from "Crash". Why can't cultural crime dramas be told in a logical structure anymore? Not every movie has to be "City of God". However, "Ajami" is a wonderful cultural film and one scene, in particular, that involved a bedouin tribunal will be on my mind for some time. This film excels at humanizing a part of the world that the rest of us fear and misunderstand, while also pointing out how cemented some aspects of its violent undercurrent are in their society.