Akira - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Akira Reviews

March 22, 2017
Akira has a great display of animation visuals and portrays complex characters with gritty violence and entertaining action, but those things are not enough to make up for its inconsistent pacing, lack of smooth transitions, and the overall confusing plot and somewhat dumb resolution.
March 20, 2017
Epic Sci-Fi drama. Opens your eyes and your imagination.
March 16, 2017
Way better the 2nd time
½ March 1, 2017
A visceral, yet beautiful masterpiece of Japanese hand-drawn animation that requires deep thought and consideration.
February 10, 2017
With stunning animation and impressive design work on Neo-Tokyo this is a gleefully violent and action packed anime that has a solid score and a plot that for the most part is engrossing though it somewhat lost me towards the end with how frenetic it got while dealing with several characters at the same time but besides that this is an excellent film and also my first anime film which now has me intrigued about the whole genre.
½ February 6, 2017
I put Akira off for a long time because I haven't had much success with Japanese animation. It did have all the things I dislike about this style of movie: terrible line delivery, lots of things happening at once so I can't keep track of it all, characters who all look the same so I can't keep anyone straight, and more.

I was really struggling in the first 15-20 minutes of this movie because I could not follow who was who, and what they were doing, or why they were doing it. So many characters are thrown at you with no background or explanation. However, there was a point when I started to say..."wait, I think I might understand some of the things going on now!"

The second act is where I was totally on board. The sci-fi super-power element of the plot had me intrigued. I was worried about Tetsuo, and was fascinated to see what would happen next. Sadly, the third act kind of lost me again. There's some good stuff going on in the climax, but then there's a lot of other stuff that makes no sense to me. I needed someone to just explain what was happening and why but the movie wouldn't offer that to me.

In a weird way Akira felt like watching a sequel without seeing the original movie. There was so much backstory that I wanted but this movie glossed over it as if I should already know all of it. I could see that Akira is probably a film that rewards repeat viewing so you could dig into it. The style is just one that I don't particularly love, so I doubt it's something I would personally explore further. I can see where people would be passionate about Akira because it is one of the best Manga/Anime films I've watched.
January 28, 2017
A thrilling movie, who's animation is as impressive as it is violent. Akira is easily on of the greatest anime films of all time.
December 29, 2016
Visual masterpiece,sensational cartoon, ultimate Manga achievement, whatever adjectives come to your mind, nothing prepares you for this amazing film. This is truly an incredible piece of Japanese anime achievement with a dense and intricate storyline, fantastic characters and one of the coolest visual style i have ever seen in similar production. This is by far one of the most memorable experience i have lived and i would highly recommend anyone out there to give it a shot. I doubt you will be disappointed.
½ December 25, 2016
Akira may drag a bit, but it also sets a high standard and solid blueprint for the anime that follow in its footsteps.
December 12, 2016
Didn't fully understand what was going on at times, but the art and animation was fantastic.
½ September 25, 2016
at first it isn't easy to understand the movie, but if you look online for an explanation - it makes a lot more sense
September 22, 2016
*English Dub*
Stunning in every sense.
September 18, 2016
This movie is like the anime equivalent of Citizen Kane. Several anime fans and critics praise it as one of the best anime films of all time. While it might have been groundbreaking for its time, I think it's a little overrated. I would still recommend for anime fans to watch it at least once (or maybe twice so you understand it better), but there are a lot more anime films and series that I consider much better than this.
September 12, 2016
Animação espetacular. Obrigatório.
½ September 2, 2016
The animation in this film is beyond amazing. It delivers art on a whole other level! The problem is, I found the story to be both boring and confusing. There is no sense of proper story structure and the pacing is abysmal. Still, I can see why so many people like it, I just wish the story did service to the beautiful animation.
September 2, 2016
Probably one of the best IF not the best Anime Film ever.
August 29, 2016
Akira puts the most unlikely of individuals at the center of an apocalyptic event.
August 20, 2016
Dazzling, frenetic, audacious and insane. This movie gave me at least half a dozen things I had never seen in my life. You feel kind of dazed and blinded when it's over. My partner tells me that the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion is even better and darker than Akira though... to which I replied "How the heck can it be darker than this?!"