Akira - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Akira Reviews

January 19, 2018
Set in a post apocalyptic Japan, Akira is both violent and disturbing being way ahead of it's time changing anime and how we veiw it.
January 15, 2018
Akira is an mind boggling, engaging, flawless experience of the times.
½ January 5, 2018
Anime, meet your maker. It's dark, bloody, ambiguous, and I love it.
December 22, 2017
Easily a film you wouldn't want to put down!
August 26, 2017
Katsuhiro Ôtomo's superb masterpiece is an anime with almost all the great elements; violence, blood, genuine geniality in its writing and likeably-well structured and attractive characters, all in all for the purpose of adapting an iconic story, with groundbreaking visuals, neat and memorable animation, and a whole style and concept meant to last for years to come, becoming one of the most gigantic influencers of sci-fi in movie history.
August 21, 2017
Borderline incomprehensible plotting and a frustrating ending keep Akira from being a true classic, but the frenetic pace, beautiful animation, and several iconic moments make it worth viewing.
August 9, 2017
Akira: 29 Years Later, a Classic Still Striking
Akira is an animated film released in 1988. Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, this science fiction thriller set the precedent for its genre and still impresses to this day, but in 2017, it feels like it's missing a certain spice.
The plot is dense and long- form, ascending from the local fights of rival biker gangs to the end of the world in just two hours. It took a while for me to see where the story was going, but once the path became clear, sailing was smooth. Neo Tokyo 2019 is not only well- realized and detailed, it is presented with class and finesse. In a scene of politicians arguing about a character's insubordination, a throwaway line, "it's still not proven that Akira caused World War 3," exposits "Akira" as something catastrophic while showing that some don't believe in it, having their own agendas to think about. Moments and details such as this litter the film, giving life without distracting from the plot.
The directing is likely what keeps this classic from being a masterpiece in my eyes. Striking colors, well- delivered, well- written lines, interesting ideas, an ensemble cast of "no true villain" characters, and extravagantly produced animation inject Akira with the stuff of legends, but it's telling that it took me over an hour to get comfy in my chair. It's telling that I thought the 2001 English dub delivery was good, not phenomenal. Watching gang bikers ride along highways and bash each other with pipes, watching them fall to the ground and beat each other senseless should be an intense and visceral experience, but it wasn't as intense as I expected in my 2017 desensitized mentality. Near the beginning, when a biker is knocked to the ground, there's a lingering shot on the collision between his body and the highway. A fall like that should bruise or break something, but the impact simply doesn't crush.
Compared to the two Japanese animated films I've seen and not the myriad television shows, Akira lacks a lingering atmosphere present in End of Evangelion and Angel's Egg. Forgiving for Evangelion, which aired an entire decade later, but Angel's Egg was three years before Akira. Perhaps that's the wrong expectation, though. Gritty, edgy, and packed with personality, Akira is more of a thriller, starring hot- blooded, young men living on the cusp of a failing society. There are moments when things get trippy, striking, and alien, such as when Tetsuo hallucinates his organs falling out of his stomach and madly grasps at empty air, trying to hold himself together, and when the ending presents a poignant piece of eldritch body horror, complete with tortured screams. That's interesting and emotional content. It just feels like Akira takes a long time to distinguish itself from anime it inspires, when its intro portrays a group of young rebels getting lectured by school officials.
Akira has influenced many, and while I haven't seen many anime, I asked my friend about how Neon Genesis Evangelion takes the plot of Akira and better integrates its themes and character arcs into the end of the world, he said:
"Shinji Ikari being representative of all people, as his identity is that of all people is able to demonstrate how all charachters ended up in instrumentality, by showcasing what the people had lost we are able to understand the common flaw which had led to this situation, so the ultimate question here is what had people lost? A sense of externalized perspective, by focusing in on how one is perceived by others rather than trying to perceive the world through empathy of
others this leading to the over internalization of communications that had led to the functional isolationism which each character had come to through some means, be it Asuka through her resistance to limitations which lead to her downfall, Rei and the awakening to the absence of normality or Misato and her shutting out of the only person who had shared pain of reality by killing him."
In Akira, a Big Bang- type event happens because Tetsuo was pushing his psychic powers too hard during a developmental phase, or something about the Akira body parts being unleashed, resulting in a somewhat out- of- nowhere moment of body horror. Ten years later, Evangelion takes powerful teenagers with personal insecurities and turns its final- act, destruction of humanity into something so deep, I have no confidence in talking about it myself.
Along with the introduction of small, blue, shriveled, psychic children, one in a floating chair, and a scene in which a woman is pinned against a wall and her shirt removed, Akira's first half rides the line of "Would my parents be weirded out by this?" But it definitely makes its buildup worthwhile when an adolescent develops superpowers and uses it to fuel his inferiority complex instead of becoming a superhero.
What I'm saying is, Akira is a classic which inspired many of many people's favorite things, but because of this, it stands more as a building block than a big favorite. Akira is absolutely worth your time, but it's only the beginning of its medium's greatest hits.
July 30, 2017
I give this a 98/A+.
July 24, 2017
Akira is truly magnificent to behold. It looks absolutely stunning with some of the best animation I have ever seen. The world building and mythology is both immersive and fascinating. The soundtrack is also fantastic giving the film that much needed emotional send off. A truly stunning piece of art that doesn't patronise its audience and makes it think.
July 23, 2017
Dense but thematically and visually arresting, this film definitely deserves its hype. The story focuses more on Tetsuo than Kaneda, so don't be fooled by the film's poster. Also, it's not a futuristic motor racing flick!
July 18, 2017
This film is perfect. Visually, every scene is stunning and immerses you in Neo-Tokyo. Personally, I never felt bored or a lack of concentration in one scene due to this. Unlike other action films that use mindless action as filler; the action scenes are set up in ways that make sense in the context of the story and are executed perfectly. Otomo managed to fit half of his manga series into 2 hours, yet not a single scene feels rushed, he even includes scenes that could be considered unnecessary because they add depth to the plot.
July 11, 2017
Beautiful animation contrasting a gory, violent movie. This movie stands out to me as weird, beautiful, and philosophical. The movie is considered a classic in anime history for a reason but do not go into it thinking it is just an action movie, this movie can get intellectual at times.
June 28, 2017
Well animated, some good one liners but lacks focus with the narrative. "There is such a rich deeper meaning and social commentary! ..." - yeah, but is the film good? Eh, it's ok, definitely does not deserve this universal acclaim.
June 25, 2017
A film of high caliber, Akira sets the standard for all anime
½ June 19, 2017
4.3/5

Out-fucking-standing.
May 23, 2017
Way better the 2nd time. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Combine Japanese Anime, with bladerunner, with RoboCop, with the thing, with a coming of age drama, with enter the void. woo aaahhh
May 19, 2017
cult classic anime film of all time, the best to honest. with 80s feel and cyber-punk future setting. give you the best of adrenaline rush excitement. epic film.
May 19, 2017
this movie is my second favorite anime, everything was almost perfect, some of the gore is al little over the top, and the Inception like plot was fun, the animation looks like people actually sat down and drew it, and the themes make you want to curl up in a ball.
½ April 29, 2017
A masterpice of japanese animation, although with a complex storyline difficult to understand and follow.
April 14, 2017
Akira is a classic. Definitely one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen, I liked the gruesome imagery. This movie was directed extremely well, and everything like animation, and voice acting is also good.