Akira - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Akira Reviews

July 24, 2017
Akira is truly magnificent to behold. It looks absolutely stunning with some of the best animation I have ever seen. The world building and mythology is both immersive and fascinating. The soundtrack is also fantastic giving the film that much needed emotional send off. A truly stunning piece of art that doesn't patronise its audience and makes it think.
July 23, 2017
Dense but thematically and visually arresting, this film definitely deserves its hype. The story focuses more on Tetsuo than Kaneda, so don't be fooled by the film's poster. Also, it's not a futuristic motor racing flick!
July 18, 2017
This film is perfect. Visually, every scene is stunning and immerses you in Neo-Tokyo. Personally, I never felt bored or a lack of concentration in one scene due to this. Unlike other action films that use mindless action as filler; the action scenes are set up in ways that make sense in the context of the story and are executed perfectly. Otomo managed to fit half of his manga series into 2 hours, yet not a single scene feels rushed, he even includes scenes that could be considered unnecessary because they add depth to the plot.
July 11, 2017
Set in a post apocalyptic Japan, Akira is both violent and disturbing being way ahead of it's time chaning anime and how we veiw it.
July 11, 2017
Beautiful animation contrasting a gory, violent movie. This movie stands out to me as weird, beautiful, and philosophical. The movie is considered a classic in anime history for a reason but do not go into it thinking it is just an action movie, this movie can get intellectual at times.
June 28, 2017
Well animated, some good one liners but lacks focus with the narrative. "There is such a rich deeper meaning and social commentary! ..." - yeah, but is the film good? Eh, it's ok, definitely does not deserve this universal acclaim.
June 25, 2017
A film of high caliber, Akira sets the standard for all anime
½ June 19, 2017
4.3/5

Out-fucking-standing.
May 23, 2017
Way better the 2nd time. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Combine Japanese Anime, with bladerunner, with RoboCop, with the thing, with a coming of age drama, with enter the void. woo aaahhh
May 19, 2017
cult classic anime film of all time, the best to honest. with 80s feel and cyber-punk future setting. give you the best of adrenaline rush excitement. epic film.
May 19, 2017
this movie is my second favorite anime, everything was almost perfect, some of the gore is al little over the top, and the Inception like plot was fun, the animation looks like people actually sat down and drew it, and the themes make you want to curl up in a ball.
½ April 29, 2017
A masterpice of japanese animation, although with a complex storyline difficult to understand and follow.
April 14, 2017
Akira is a classic. Definitely one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen, I liked the gruesome imagery. This movie was directed extremely well, and everything like animation, and voice acting is also good.
½ April 8, 2017
The classic anime directed by Katsuhiro Otomo and written by him and Izo Hashimoto. This cyberpunk Tokyo is filled with dark ruins and delinquents but also powerful beings that the government tries to hold power from. Tetsuo is one of those beings and Kaneda and other friends have to stop him from unsealing the power of Akira that will wreak havoc through this futuristic Tokyo. This animated film has all the action, violence, and story any anime fans would need. The characters revolve throughout the story getting involved as much as possible. The designs and structure of old school Tokyo mixed with the futuristic 80s theme gives a spectacular atmosphere. Bloody stuff happen in this story but this is not the best case of this movie yet, the real fight comes in play later with Tetsuo's ability. The soundtrack has the best vibes you can get from a classic Japanese composer. You want the best cyberpunk feature with lots of action, well here it is!
½ April 8, 2017
Truly before its time
March 22, 2017
Akira has a great display of animation visuals and portrays complex characters with gritty violence and entertaining action, but those things are not enough to make up for its inconsistent pacing, lack of smooth transitions, and the overall confusing plot and somewhat dumb resolution.
March 20, 2017
Epic Sci-Fi drama. Opens your eyes and your imagination.
½ March 1, 2017
A visceral, yet beautiful masterpiece of Japanese hand-drawn animation that requires deep thought and consideration.
February 10, 2017
With stunning animation and impressive design work on Neo-Tokyo this is a gleefully violent and action packed anime that has a solid score and a plot that for the most part is engrossing though it somewhat lost me towards the end with how frenetic it got while dealing with several characters at the same time but besides that this is an excellent film and also my first anime film which now has me intrigued about the whole genre.
½ February 6, 2017
I put Akira off for a long time because I haven't had much success with Japanese animation. It did have all the things I dislike about this style of movie: terrible line delivery, lots of things happening at once so I can't keep track of it all, characters who all look the same so I can't keep anyone straight, and more.

I was really struggling in the first 15-20 minutes of this movie because I could not follow who was who, and what they were doing, or why they were doing it. So many characters are thrown at you with no background or explanation. However, there was a point when I started to say..."wait, I think I might understand some of the things going on now!"

The second act is where I was totally on board. The sci-fi super-power element of the plot had me intrigued. I was worried about Tetsuo, and was fascinated to see what would happen next. Sadly, the third act kind of lost me again. There's some good stuff going on in the climax, but then there's a lot of other stuff that makes no sense to me. I needed someone to just explain what was happening and why but the movie wouldn't offer that to me.

In a weird way Akira felt like watching a sequel without seeing the original movie. There was so much backstory that I wanted but this movie glossed over it as if I should already know all of it. I could see that Akira is probably a film that rewards repeat viewing so you could dig into it. The style is just one that I don't particularly love, so I doubt it's something I would personally explore further. I can see where people would be passionate about Akira because it is one of the best Manga/Anime films I've watched.