Akira Reviews

• 2d ago

Pretty mediocre very dumb animated movie. And I know what your thinking, you hate anime and yes I do but in this quarantine I have no other movies to watch that people have recommended for me so I chose to finally start watching anime movies. It’s weird to say that but man they’re just not my thing. With the over the top dumb yelling back and forth and the story makes no sense at all. The one thing that I will give this movie is it didn’t bore me at all. I was intrigued with this movie. It’s not good but it made me actually pay attention so I have to give it that. Will I ever watch this movie again, jell( not a typo) no because I felt all the surprises so I would be bored if I saw it again. And the characters aren’t that cool, they’re pretty dumb. But I actually would recommend this movie because it deserves at least a watch through.

• Mar 28, 2020

Simply amazing, in every aspect. Blew away my already high expectations.

Simply amazing, in every aspect. Blew away my already high expectations.

• Mar 27, 2020

AN UNPRECEDENTED ANIMATED CULT / An unprecedented cult in the history of cinema. Akira hits straight to the mark with an overwhelming and enigmatic story, allegorically shedding light on some significant aspects. Living in a dystopian world, Akira succeeds with the impeccable and original direction of Katsuhiro Ôtomo, expressing his potential to the fullest, laying the foundations for all the films that came after and to come. While watching, it's easy to forget that it is an animated film, but something that goes beyond all comprehensions. Perfect.

• Mar 22, 2020

Akira's brilliance is the literal mystery built throughout the whole movie. It creates a dystopian Neo Tokyo setting with vague exploration of the origin and throws Kaneda and Tetsuo straight into a science fiction immersion. With a brilliant score, Akira has incredible dreamlike sequences and action scenes. It may be hard to follow, but Akira succeeds in leaving the audience oddly satisfied with a brain trip that they just watched.

• Mar 10, 2020

Its is VERY strange, and a little confusing in the beginning, but its absolutely soul crushing! I thought it would be a movie about street racers, boy was I wrong!

• Mar 07, 2020

Totally awesome animated film. I love the style and look of the animation. Great story, visuals, characters and concept. I just rewatched it after over 20 years and I could barely remember anything except for liking it when I saw it. It has held up well. My only wish would be to be able to see it with the original Japanese audio with subtitles. Other than that, for what it is, this is an outstanding work of art. Well done!

• Feb 18, 2020

They don't make films like this anymore. There is a reason why the anime industry went into a crash shortly after this film was produced. Animation studios couldn't reach the bars set by this movie. Animation quality, sound design, and the storyline are groundbreaking. The use of light throughout the film is unique and presents it as its own protagonist. The fact that no one is a true villain or hero is another reason why I love this movie. Each character is flawed in the own way while also having some merits. Even the city of NeoTokyo itself has its own character. This film deserves its righteous place in one of the top anime films of all time. 5/5. 10/10. 50/50. 100/100. Hands down.

• Jan 14, 2020

It's a visual Masterpiece and still holds up today

It's a visual Masterpiece and still holds up today

• Jan 08, 2020

World-building at its best. The sci-fi story itself is a masterpiece, yet the anime cut many parts of the whole story to fit in a 2 hour time frame. Cutting these parts left me wanting more. I highly recommend reading the manga if you have not done so already.

• Dec 26, 2019

I first watched this seminal movie in a Japanese Film class in college (I attended a small, liberal arts school). Coincidentally, I decided to view it again in 2019, not realizing it took place in Neo-Tokyo, 2019. Immediately, I remembered the fantastic panorama shots of the city rebuilt after "World War III" and had the same response I did back at college: "How was this made in 1988?!" Roving bands of biker gangs, anti-government protests, religious cults, a city in martial law, all grasp and keep the viewer's attention through displays of extreme violence and chauvinism. But the last third of the movie, specifically when Tetsuo dons the makeshift red cape, is when the sci-fi animation really heats up — the final showdown between Tetsuo and Kaneda is jaw-droppingly beautiful. Akira is a film about ESP gifted (cursed?) children known as "Espers," who basically can determine the fate of the entire world. The titular, omnipotent character is not revealed until the very end. My gripes with the movie are poor dialogue — which I'm not sure was a product of the dubbing (the only version of the movie I could view) or the writing itself — and the instances that caused Tetsuo to become an egomaniacal supervillain. Getting teased by your friends just didn't seem believable enough for him to risk killing millions of people. Nevertheless, Akira is a must-watch regardless of whether you have an interest in anime.