Alien Nation Reviews

• Jun 22, 2019

Crazy that this movie has a negative general review... It is a total classic and has two amazing lead actors, including the fact that Patinkin's character is mockingly named "Sam Francisco" and the bad guy is "Rudyard Kipling". That aside this remains one of my favorite films in the genre of a society based on us getting used to aliens walking among us, and in this case have lived among us so long that they have developed our morality to the point they join the police force!! The EXCELLENT move "Bright" which Netflix made has a similar premise. Alien Nation is a must see with everything that made the 80's great!

• Feb 24, 2019

Not a bad story or movie, but not one I would say is a must see

Not a bad story or movie, but not one I would say is a must see

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Sep 13, 2018

Whereas the premise is intriguing and the cultural differences between the two main characters are amusing for a while, soon the movie decides that it should be more action than sci-fi, imploding in an awful last half-hour full of car chases, stupid twists and ugly TV clichés.

• Aug 10, 2018

"...takes the interesting premise of extraterrestrials living among us and doesn't do enough with it, emphasizing a police procedural plotline over the more intriguing sci-fi elements." Agreed.

• Dec 04, 2017

I don't understand the hate for this movie? While it hasn't aged particularly well, it really brought to light some interesting questions and cultural insights, for the time. Over all, this movie was the alien version of Colors and it did quite well, but watching it now is a little tough.

• Nov 04, 2017

A good 80s movie cop movie which happened to have aliens in it.

A good 80s movie cop movie which happened to have aliens in it.

• Nov 24, 2016

The only reason I've heard about Alien Nation, was that people talked about that District 9 is a little similar to this. When I the watched it, I can kind of see how it's similar, but it's not much of it. Alien Nation is a great movie that is a bit underrated in my opinion. James Cann and Mandy Patinkin are really great and their chemistry has some good laughs in it. While the aliens working at the Earth and now it can affect people can be very interesting and new at the time, and it only lasted for a few minutes and then it goes to the cop story that probably is one of the reasons why some people doesn't like this film. The cop story isn't bad per se, but we've seen this before and it does some of the buddy cop tropes. The characters are good, and the writing is decent. There's some new interesting ideas about aliens that honestly does it better with some of the aspects than Signs did. The make up is really great to the point that the alien's past is pretty interesting. If people actually don't like it because it's the same buddy cop movie but with an alien instead, I completely understand. For me, I enjoyed Alien Nation a lot for what it is, when though it should've been more original.

• May 23, 2016

A different take on this mismatch cop buddy flicks. James Caan is the balls as the LA Cop who teams up with a new Alien partner to hunt the newcomer scum who killed his partner. Terence Stamp is a nasty cunt as the villian. I haven't seen this since renting it on video in 1988. It still holds up.

• Dec 31, 2015

A decent story that was improved by the respective performances of James Caan and Mandy Patinkin.

• May 30, 2015

This film is a cross between a Scifi film and a cop drama. The Scifi elements focus on a very good idea (the same one from District 9) that aliens arrive from outer space, but instead of villains they're refugees. The problem is that this immediately blends into the cop drama side of the story, which consumes it utterly without any apparent difficulties. So while the film itself is a pretty good cop drama it's mediocre Scifi. If you simply replaced the alien with the persecuted minority of the week then you'd have exactly the same film. I know that's the point, but if you're playing with aliens you really need to do something more with them beyond giving them odd traits like an addiction to sour milk and an allergy to sea water.