All Is Lost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Is Lost Reviews

½ May 1, 2017
170501: I found it hard to maintain focus on this film. A total lack of dialogue tied with long periods of inactivity. Lacked intensity.
May 1, 2017
Grade - C-
Although Robert Redford gives his all, I found All is Lost to be quite a slow moving film that, after the first hour, really starts to drag.
½ April 30, 2017
A bracing and emotionally stirring film that adds its own freshness to the lost-at-sea genre, and is fully powered by a grand-slam mostly-silent performance by Robert Redford.
April 29, 2017
Life of Pi without the tiger or musings on faith and philosophy. Surprisingly gripping given the fact that after the brief introductory monologue it is a monosyllabic script and one man show - "Our Man" Robert Redford giving a superb performance. Sort of a Sam Beckett play with the only character lost at sea in a boat...
April 16, 2017
No one need sub-title for this movie. This is astonishing.

Everything make sense and that's make the whole 90 mins really smooth. The bad things does not keep coming non-stop... The unnamed man a very balance character, kind of resourceful, okay good voyaging, survival skill, etc.
April 16, 2017
I feel even more helpless than him and in fact even feel a little anxiety. The whole movie is very well made, it kept me hooked till the end!
½ March 10, 2017
The few bright spots in this movie were overshadowed by the sheer stupidity of the main (and only) character. The ending was so unbelievable and cliche, I was literally laughing out loud. This film had a lot more potential.
½ March 10, 2017
Con grande sorpresa senza alcun tipo di dialogo questo rischioso film riesce a mantenere alto il coinvolgimento e l'emozione, grazie anche ad una ottima interpretazione di Robert Redford. Le grandi qualitą tecniche sono evidenti ma l'andamento monotematico del film rischia di diventare troppo ripetitivo e noioso. Alla fine si ha la sensazione di aver visto una bella avventura ben interpretata e ben diretta, niente di pił e niente di meno.
½ February 20, 2017
Whilst very well shot and directed, the slow, even pace and length of this movie makes for a restless viewing experience and a lot of thumb twiddling as each new crisis very slowly unfolds. Robert Redford does a very credible job as the only cast member but there's very limited rewatch and entertainment value here.
February 7, 2017
This film is about a novice sailor who demonstates what not to do while yachting solo. It features a tour de force performance from Robert Redford as the only credited actor in the film.
½ January 30, 2017
Near perfect in every aspect....
January 17, 2017
All Is Lost: In this unique film, which is scant on dialogue but loaded with symbolism, a solo adventurer (Robert Redford) finds himself struggling to overcome increasingly dire circumstances after an accident damages his sailboat in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Redford is riveting as the film cycles through moments of white-knuckle terror, dread and tedium. Despite some slow spots, the film's message, and ending, will stick in your mind long after you leave the theater. B+
January 13, 2017
Exceptional film!, Robert Redford yet again shows that he is such a brilliant actor and he does'nt have to say anything to prove it. "All Is Lost" definetley kept me thinking throughout and at times was very tense. This is definetley a perfectly made film
December 16, 2016
I'm the only one in my family that likes this movie. I've now watched it four times, and I still love it. People get held up on the lack of dialog. I think it's more sincere moviemaking than Castaway, which was the same exact story but had to substitute a stupid, comic-relief volleyball so they could sprinkle in dialog. This is much smarter and better than that movie in every way. The suspense builds and builds until... you'll have to watch it to find out what happens.
December 11, 2016
Robert Redford stars in this sad true tale of a lone sea traveller caught in a horrific storm and he faces a race against time with hardly any rations for someone to see him
December 4, 2016
My experience of this film (by which I mean the suspense and concern for the [main] character) can be summed up by it's script: "Shit................. F*******************K!!" I don't think I've ever spent such a long period of time in constant suspense while watching a film. I found myself rooting for the protagonist like I was watching a sports game, saying things like "Go get the freshwater...and clothes! Get clothes!" I felt like everything in this story was very real and as though I was right there alongside our protagonist in the fight for his life.
December 1, 2016
Where as disaster films like Titanic have hundreds of passengers and large casts this film goes the other way.
A small boat with a single sailor (played by a world weary Robert Redford) is accidentally hit by a rogue container from a tanker in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Redford has no dialogue except a few words to explain his predicament at the start and one swear word a full 59 minutes into the film!
The director thus relies on a cast of one!
The film shows the inherent danger of sailing alone at sea.
Redford does well to perform most of his own action sequences it seems so the viewer is spared much CGI and dodgy stuntmen.
At the end the film's conclusion is questionnable. Not your usual end to such a film.
½ November 27, 2016
It was okay, clearly not on the level most critics seem to think, with their love affair with Redford. The movie was actually surprisingly boring, with an apparently inexperienced old guy out sailing and making mistake after mistake combined with ridiculous levels of bad luck. It's frustrating when you're shouting "What are you doing? No, do this! Why aren't you doing that?!?" It was basically a resistable force meeting a moveable object. Any decent sailor would have gotten out of that situation with ease. Redford's silence during angering moments wasn't believable. His few dialogue moments weren't believable. His inability to get attention with a flare gun mere yards from a sailing vessel is unbelievable. In fact, most everything about the movie was unbelievable and frustrating. His character could screw up a ham sandwich. I'd only give it a three because a bad acting day for a charismatic Redford is still better than most and the imagery of the movie was fairly decent.
½ September 21, 2016
Let me start out by saying I know absolutely squat about boating, so I may sound dumb here. I was sitting here watching this and at times thinking what the hell is this dude thinking? Do people literally go on boat trips for several days and not come back and sleep on the boat? I understand a cruise but a little bitty yacht? Secondly, why the hell would you go out in the middle of a storm and set up a sail? Wouldn't that just give the wind a stronger chance to blow the ship over and capsize? Again. I know nothing about boating, so please give me a pass if that's what you're supposed to do. It kept me very interested, but man. The things Redford did during the film just baffled me
August 31, 2016
The movie is rigorous, serious and well-crafted, with Redford holding the screen using only his economical emotional reactions and physical presence.