All Is Lost Reviews

• May 29, 2019

Exceptionally boring.

Exceptionally boring.

• Mar 28, 2019

A survival film with only one actor has quiet a bit of positives and negatives. All is Lost clearly shows those traits. J.C. Chandor brought great directing and cinematography while Robert Redford did excellent as the only character. It too bad the lone character has no back story or monologue, making it difficult to relate to him. The story is predictable and has forced, mild suspense to try and keep you invested along its slow pacing. A well-shot slow burn of a film you should see and never see again.

• Jan 12, 2019

Thought it was a hugely suspenseful movie and a great acting performance by an acting legend. The lack of dialogue and pace of the film only made it more realistic for me. Seems to have polarised some of the audience, but I feel like too many people rely on Hollywood formulas containing loads of action & dialogue. This movie requires you to step into this guys shoes as his situation goes from bad to worse & it reminds you how completely alone he is. Had myself & my son in suspense right through to the end.

• Jan 02, 2019

Surviving Spirit. All Is Lost Chandor's attention seeking concept is a spark only at ignition, for a tale as such that is supposed to grow on you, merely settles for a qualified score. As far as the idea is concerned, it surely is the ultimate dream for any maker to pull off a heist as such without uttering a single word. And lopping off all the hokum of the supportive stems or extra branches cloaked as the background tale or the characterization of the character, the makers are aiming for the root and nothing else. This fragile raw core of the film is through and through, which is also the reason there is no grittiness in the narration. Addition to that there is very little romance between Redford and the nature, there is a physical distance between them, a void that cannot be filled. Since no matter how much they may not get along and resist each other's existence, the tug of war ought to have a rope as a medium to hold on to. Nevertheless, these few limitations are overcome by brilliant execution and stunning performance. Redford as the only person visible on screen has all the challenge and none the competition. Evolving on his own terms, Redford is floating in his own bubble, chewing out the material and savoring all the sweetness, his majestic performance is the soul reason this movie survives on communicating the high stakes to its viewers. In such avant-garde concept, the sheer pressure is directed towards the grip of the storytelling in order to hold the audience at its best, and with Chandor's stability and easiness, it manages to check off that item successfully. All Is Lost is everything to be gained from, from Redford's argumentative expressive face to Chandor's busyness in a boat, the film survives.

• Nov 01, 2018

The heads. That's what these boaty types call the bogs. Well anyhoo, that's where I would have been after having me boat stove in miles from anywhere. I'd have been in the heads shitting meself, crying as the water poured in. I certainly wouldn't be as calm as Redford's character, let's put it that way. Speaking of Redford, he still shines, doesn't he? What a fabulous actor. The very definition of screen presence. Cracking adventure yarn.

• Sep 28, 2018

Although unrelated in story, this movie reads like Hemmingway's "The Old Man and The Sea". Many of the negative review posts completely missed the point. This movie is NOT about "How to Sail", or the "Best Technique of Sailing", or "Exciting Sailing Action", or "What to do in a disaster". This film is about struggle and desperation slowly and quietly unfolding. It's a gripping tale that takes you through the pain and suffering of an old man. I think this is Redford at his best.

• Jul 27, 2018

Dude where's my EPIRB?

Dude where's my EPIRB?

• Jul 25, 2018

Can't remember how long the film was but will never get that time back. The script could have be written by a 5 year old as it is non existent.the lack off dialogue trys to make the fim more dramatic but fails and makes it the most boring, monotonous movie I've ever sat through. Must say if I was stuck in the middle of the ocean with no communication my first thought would not be, "I know, I must have a shave".

• Jun 03, 2018

I'm a blue-water sailor, so I watched this with interest. Robert Redford was so hopelessly incompetent as a sailor that he deserved to die many times over. Don't expect much from this film.

• Jun 03, 2018

Although a good performance by Redford, did he do any research on ACTUAL sailing. I've been sailing for 10 years and none of his choices make sense. Sure, other people enjoyed it without knowledge of sailing, and I wish I could watch it like them. But here were just too many stupid mistakes.