All Is Lost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Is Lost Reviews

January 17, 2017
All Is Lost: In this unique film, which is scant on dialogue but loaded with symbolism, a solo adventurer (Robert Redford) finds himself struggling to overcome increasingly dire circumstances after an accident damages his sailboat in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Redford is riveting as the film cycles through moments of white-knuckle terror, dread and tedium. Despite some slow spots, the film's message, and ending, will stick in your mind long after you leave the theater. B+
January 13, 2017
Exceptional film!, Robert Redford yet again shows that he is such a brilliant actor and he does'nt have to say anything to prove it. "All Is Lost" definetley kept me thinking throughout and at times was very tense. This is definetley a perfectly made film
December 16, 2016
I'm the only one in my family that likes this movie. I've now watched it four times, and I still love it. People get held up on the lack of dialog. I think it's more sincere moviemaking than Castaway, which was the same exact story but had to substitute a stupid, comic-relief volleyball so they could sprinkle in dialog. This is much smarter and better than that movie in every way. The suspense builds and builds until... you'll have to watch it to find out what happens.
December 11, 2016
Robert Redford stars in this sad true tale of a lone sea traveller caught in a horrific storm and he faces a race against time with hardly any rations for someone to see him
December 4, 2016
My experience of this film (by which I mean the suspense and concern for the [main] character) can be summed up by it's script: "Shit................. F*******************K!!" I don't think I've ever spent such a long period of time in constant suspense while watching a film. I found myself rooting for the protagonist like I was watching a sports game, saying things like "Go get the freshwater...and clothes! Get clothes!" I felt like everything in this story was very real and as though I was right there alongside our protagonist in the fight for his life.
December 1, 2016
Where as disaster films like Titanic have hundreds of passengers and large casts this film goes the other way.
A small boat with a single sailor (played by a world weary Robert Redford) is accidentally hit by a rogue container from a tanker in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Redford has no dialogue except a few words to explain his predicament at the start and one swear word a full 59 minutes into the film!
The director thus relies on a cast of one!
The film shows the inherent danger of sailing alone at sea.
Redford does well to perform most of his own action sequences it seems so the viewer is spared much CGI and dodgy stuntmen.
At the end the film's conclusion is questionnable. Not your usual end to such a film.
½ November 27, 2016
It was okay, clearly not on the level most critics seem to think, with their love affair with Redford. The movie was actually surprisingly boring, with an apparently inexperienced old guy out sailing and making mistake after mistake combined with ridiculous levels of bad luck. It's frustrating when you're shouting "What are you doing? No, do this! Why aren't you doing that?!?" It was basically a resistable force meeting a moveable object. Any decent sailor would have gotten out of that situation with ease. Redford's silence during angering moments wasn't believable. His few dialogue moments weren't believable. His inability to get attention with a flare gun mere yards from a sailing vessel is unbelievable. In fact, most everything about the movie was unbelievable and frustrating. His character could screw up a ham sandwich. I'd only give it a three because a bad acting day for a charismatic Redford is still better than most and the imagery of the movie was fairly decent.
½ September 21, 2016
Let me start out by saying I know absolutely squat about boating, so I may sound dumb here. I was sitting here watching this and at times thinking what the hell is this dude thinking? Do people literally go on boat trips for several days and not come back and sleep on the boat? I understand a cruise but a little bitty yacht? Secondly, why the hell would you go out in the middle of a storm and set up a sail? Wouldn't that just give the wind a stronger chance to blow the ship over and capsize? Again. I know nothing about boating, so please give me a pass if that's what you're supposed to do. It kept me very interested, but man. The things Redford did during the film just baffled me
August 31, 2016
The movie is rigorous, serious and well-crafted, with Redford holding the screen using only his economical emotional reactions and physical presence.
August 26, 2016
Having watched this superb piece of cinema, I can't quite fathom how there is such a discrepancy between the glowing critics consensus and the slightly above average audience metre. Of course, these matters are always subjective and everyone has a right to an opinion on it, but the critics scored this one right by my count. I, too, was mesmerised by Robert Redford's ability to hold the screen with such little dialogue, though admittedly his job here is aided by solid direction, modern realistic special effects, and bolstered by a subtle but sublime musical score and great environmental sound effects. Sad to see this sitting so low at 63% on the audience metre. Top marks from me though. 5/5
½ August 12, 2016
Good story of survival. Not great tho.
July 28, 2016
What a great excuse to find (if you haven't already) your local independent film theatre and watch something different. The film was engaging. I felt frustrated as Mr. Redford strugelled along. The end was satisfying. Then, I felt a flash...this movie is his interpretation of his marriages. His two wives... and the movie felt so much more enriching and illuminating. After that thought I really enjoyed watching it:-)
July 25, 2016
That guy simply could not catch a break! Who knew that you could enjoy a movie with little to no dialogue. Hmmmm...
July 4, 2016
57% Robert Redford gives a spectacular performance. But with strong reliance on survival movie cliches and a thin origin story, All Is Lost struggles to compete with other movies like Cast Away and Life of Pi.
½ July 4, 2016
Robert Redford is awash in sea disaster
June 26, 2016
A unique, thrillingly tense picture of a literal one-man show that Redford attempted finely, becoming one of his best of not just as an actor but along his overall talent. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
June 13, 2016
A powerful tale of survival and determination. It keeps you intrigued from beginning to end. All always it is a lustful joy to watch Robert Redford in action, even with barely a word uttered. As I imagine he is, his character is resourceful, skilled, intelligent and strong. Yet, in the end, nothing is certain.
June 6, 2016
It takes quite a lot of patience to sit through this one but if you can, 'ALL IS LOST' is a very powerful take on survival. Firstly, I believe that only Robert Redford and probably 4-5 other actors can hold the screen for such a long time. I mean he is literally the only actor in the film. Which brings me to my second point, it takes great courage to pull off a film with one actor and virtually no dialogues, monologues or any script whatsoever. It makes you search for the smallest indicators through body language to understand what the character is going through. When trying to visualize the film making process, it just boggles my mind how they worked around it. A great feat pulled off by director J.C. Chandor and of course Robert Redford. A worthwhile watch for the more experienced viewers.
June 2, 2016
Good movie. I noticed a few online articles criticising the film over all the sailing mistakes that our man makes, but I kinda thought that was the point. Our man is an imperfect human being. The film was an analogy for our lives. This isn't a story about someone who does everything right, but still gets crapped on. This is a story about a guy who is the cause of a lot of his own crap. And I liked that about this film, cause I can relate to that a LOT more!
½ June 1, 2016
Robert Redford made this somewhat tolerable, but "All is Lost" is a fitting name for a movie that left me bored. It's a great idea in theory, but sometimes theory doesn't translate. Redford on a boat for one and three-quarters hours is not fun.