All Is Lost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Is Lost Reviews

January 12, 2019
Thought it was a hugely suspenseful movie and a great acting performance by an acting legend. The lack of dialogue and pace of the film only made it more realistic for me. Seems to have polarised some of the audience, but I feel like too many people rely on Hollywood formulas containing loads of action & dialogue. This movie requires you to step into this guys shoes as his situation goes from bad to worse & it reminds you how completely alone he is. Had myself & my son in suspense right through to the end.
January 2, 2019
Surviving Spirit.

All Is Lost

Chandor's attention seeking concept is a spark only at ignition, for a tale as such that is supposed to grow on you, merely settles for a qualified score. As far as the idea is concerned, it surely is the ultimate dream for any maker to pull off a heist as such without uttering a single word. And lopping off all the hokum of the supportive stems or extra branches cloaked as the background tale or the characterization of the character, the makers are aiming for the root and nothing else. This fragile raw core of the film is through and through, which is also the reason there is no grittiness in the narration.

Addition to that there is very little romance between Redford and the nature, there is a physical distance between them, a void that cannot be filled. Since no matter how much they may not get along and resist each other's existence, the tug of war ought to have a rope as a medium to hold on to. Nevertheless, these few limitations are overcome by brilliant execution and stunning performance. Redford as the only person visible on screen has all the challenge and none the competition.

Evolving on his own terms, Redford is floating in his own bubble, chewing out the material and savoring all the sweetness, his majestic performance is the soul reason this movie survives on communicating the high stakes to its viewers. In such avant-garde concept, the sheer pressure is directed towards the grip of the storytelling in order to hold the audience at its best, and with Chandor's stability and easiness, it manages to check off that item successfully. All Is Lost is everything to be gained from, from Redford's argumentative expressive face to Chandor's busyness in a boat, the film survives.
November 1, 2018
The heads. That's what these boaty types call the bogs. Well anyhoo, that's where I would have been after having me boat stove in miles from anywhere. I'd have been in the heads shitting meself, crying as the water poured in. I certainly wouldn't be as calm as Redford's character, let's put it that way. Speaking of Redford, he still shines, doesn't he? What a fabulous actor. The very definition of screen presence. Cracking adventure yarn.
September 28, 2018
Although unrelated in story, this movie reads like Hemmingway's "The Old Man and The Sea". Many of the negative review posts completely missed the point. This movie is NOT about "How to Sail", or the "Best Technique of Sailing", or "Exciting Sailing Action", or "What to do in a disaster". This film is about struggle and desperation slowly and quietly unfolding. It's a gripping tale that takes you through the pain and suffering of an old man. I think this is Redford at his best.
½ July 27, 2018
Dude where's my EPIRB?
½ July 25, 2018
Can't remember how long the film was but will never get that time back. The script could have be written by a 5 year old as it is non existent.the lack off dialogue trys to make the fim more dramatic but fails and makes it the most boring, monotonous movie I've ever sat through. Must say if I was stuck in the middle of the ocean with no communication my first thought would not be, "I know, I must have a shave".
June 3, 2018
I'm a blue-water sailor, so I watched this with interest. Robert Redford was so hopelessly incompetent as a sailor that he deserved to die many times over. Don't expect much from this film.
½ June 3, 2018
Although a good performance by Redford, did he do any research on ACTUAL sailing. I've been sailing for 10 years and none of his choices make sense. Sure, other people enjoyed it without knowledge of sailing, and I wish I could watch it like them. But here were just too many stupid mistakes.
½ May 28, 2018
A slow, but mostly effective survival movie that works due to Robert Redford's performance.
March 24, 2018
In the age of superhero blockbusters, it's films like this that come along and make you think; proving a remarkable story can be told without saying a word. All is Lost is a beautiful movie and proves Robert Redford is truly the last of a dying breed.
½ March 21, 2018
Ok at sea movie starring Robert redferd.
February 11, 2018
This is certainly not an easy to watch film, but its worth letting oneself get drawn in.
January 14, 2018
I watched this film for a second time. The first time I saw it it was like watching paint dry. But this time, knowing what it is about , I enjoyed it more. It's probably because I understood that it is literally about survival , and nothing else. Robert Redford was good but I felt that his characters steely determination could have used a bit more emotion.
January 8, 2018
Not sure what 210 (the Fresh count at this time) people saw that made it "fresh", but it is a classic example of people rating on a name or body of work, rather than the actual performance. In the comment from the critics, they state "a moving, eminently worthwhile testament to Robert Redford's ability to hold the screen". Well, given the options for his competition in this film (i.e. the raft, a signal flare & a freighter or 2), it wasn't hard for him.
December 31, 2017
An intriguing single hander. One actor, no dialogue. The only weak link being the unconvincing brief speech from Redford right at the start. Man against the odds - the 105 minutes whizz by in this enthralling unique drama.
October 17, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
When all is lost we know how to get out from when we are stuck.

Calmness before the storm. The moment where you cling onto life feeling everything is alright before it goes all so wrong. you can fight a good fight but some storms are too strong to overcome that they knock you overboard. When we are not used to too many storms to witness one face first. When what save us is how calm we go into and go out of such storms that we buy enough time to cling onto life.
½ September 13, 2017
This movie was so terribly slow we watched it in fast forward... and still didn't miss anything since there was no dialog... Exceptionally terrible
½ September 4, 2017
the high rating got my hopes up for a poorly shot piece of garbage
August 29, 2017
I have just joined and this is my first review. I saw this film at the cinema and it has stayed with me because it is the only film I have ever actually walked out of. That was partly because it was very hot, but I was in a cinema full of people who work at sea and the mood was a bit irritable. Surely whoever wrote this has no idea how to survive at sea and, having worked at sea myself and, knowing quite a number people who have dealt with life threatening and fatal situations at sea, I found Redford's stoic performance utterly unconvincing. I only missed the last 20 minutes but there were long discussions in the bar afterwards and my view was very much in the majority. In fairness it was difficult for me to judge the film as a whole and maybe one day I will give it another chance, knowing its limitations.