All Is Lost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Is Lost Reviews

½ December 13, 2017
I watched this film for a second time. The first time I saw it it was like watching paint dry. But this time, knowing what it is about , I enjoyed it more. It's probably because I understood that it is literally about survival , and nothing else. Robert Redford was good but I felt that his characters steely determination could have used a bit more emotion.
October 17, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
When all is lost we know how to get out from when we are stuck.

Calmness before the storm. The moment where you cling onto life feeling everything is alright before it goes all so wrong. you can fight a good fight but some storms are too strong to overcome that they knock you overboard. When we are not used to too many storms to witness one face first. When what save us is how calm we go into and go out of such storms that we buy enough time to cling onto life.
½ September 13, 2017
This movie was so terribly slow we watched it in fast forward... and still didn't miss anything since there was no dialog... Exceptionally terrible
½ September 4, 2017
the high rating got my hopes up for a poorly shot piece of garbage
August 29, 2017
I have just joined and this is my first review. I saw this film at the cinema and it has stayed with me because it is the only film I have ever actually walked out of. That was partly because it was very hot, but I was in a cinema full of people who work at sea and the mood was a bit irritable. Surely whoever wrote this has no idea how to survive at sea and, having worked at sea myself and, knowing quite a number people who have dealt with life threatening and fatal situations at sea, I found Redford's stoic performance utterly unconvincing. I only missed the last 20 minutes but there were long discussions in the bar afterwards and my view was very much in the majority. In fairness it was difficult for me to judge the film as a whole and maybe one day I will give it another chance, knowing its limitations.
August 21, 2017
I really wanted to like this film but it just never did it for me. It's not that I didn't think it was a good film as such and I did like Redford's performance. His matter of fact approach, problem solving whilst having all and sundry thrown at him feels refreshing from the usual hero narrative. I just found it sorry, a little dull at times. It's basically like a '999: Emergency' reconstruction at points, it just never really gripped me.
August 18, 2017
Just watched this amazing film - only one actor who only speaks one word and yet I was totally hooked from the opening moment
July 29, 2017
Castaway in the sea with Redford playing Hanks. Not a bad film, not a good film, not much of anything really, as the title suggests.
July 16, 2017
6.7/10
One man in the boat.
July 3, 2017
Outstanding acting performance by Redford, the only person in the film and hardly speaking for over 90 minutes. His fight for survival is believable and realistic, albeit sometimes a little slow. Without spoiling anything: the final resolution is a bit of a let down.
July 1, 2017
All is Lost is anchored firmly in an award worthy performance by Robert Redford, although I'm afraid there isn't much under the surface aside from great direction. The plot is simple enough, but it seems though there is a lot of time spent relying on Redford to do something amazing with his performance, which he fortunately delivers on every single time. There are dozens of great shots that show the beauty of the ocean above and below it, and I was constantly entertained by the cinematography alone at times. As impressive as it is to see Redford act through literally about 5 lines of dialogue, the film struggles to hold on to my attention for the entire runtime, and it felt like it was taking its time way too often. There were also a lot of questions I had that were never exactly answered, especially concerning the opening 5-10 minutes. I cannot deny that I was in awe at times at the level of talent on and off the screen, I just think the script was lackluster, and it really hurt this film
½ June 26, 2017
As a sailor, can only hate this movie. No experienced sailor would make the choices shown in the movie - both in prep for a solo trip and during.
June 22, 2017
Largely lost are the dialogue, a cast and words to describe our awe for this monstrously gripping visual storytelling of a man's fearsome resoluteness not to be consumed by the equally stubborn and capriciously treacherous high seas.
June 18, 2017
POS. A movie about self flagellation by boat. But why? For what? What's the mission here before hitting an overboard container full of shoes? And why is the waterproof satellite phone not constantly charged & ready for use in an emergency? A fiberglass patch-kit on-board? Really? How did hitting a container disconnect the antenna connector at the top of the mast? Roadside flares in the daytime? This thing is a mess. Redford's perf is fine, kind of a reprise of Hanks castaway as a one man show - with one word of monologue & a tidbit of narration but no explanation. Redford should teach his students about "an establishing shot." Where the heck is 1,700 from the Sumatra Straits. Zoom-in from space via GEarth for crying out loud to some sort of match-dissolve to show how in-the-middle-of-nowhere we are. Waste of time. The critics must've been tokin' a tweed while watching this big looking student film ...
½ May 1, 2017
170501: I found it hard to maintain focus on this film. A total lack of dialogue tied with long periods of inactivity. Lacked intensity.
May 1, 2017
Grade - C-
Although Robert Redford gives his all, I found All is Lost to be quite a slow moving film that, after the first hour, really starts to drag.
½ April 30, 2017
A bracing and emotionally stirring film that adds its own freshness to the lost-at-sea genre, and is fully powered by a grand-slam mostly-silent performance by Robert Redford.
April 29, 2017
Life of Pi without the tiger or musings on faith and philosophy. Surprisingly gripping given the fact that after the brief introductory monologue it is a monosyllabic script and one man show - "Our Man" Robert Redford giving a superb performance. Sort of a Sam Beckett play with the only character lost at sea in a boat...
April 16, 2017
No one need sub-title for this movie. This is astonishing.

Everything make sense and that's make the whole 90 mins really smooth. The bad things does not keep coming non-stop... The unnamed man a very balance character, kind of resourceful, okay good voyaging, survival skill, etc.
April 16, 2017
I feel even more helpless than him and in fact even feel a little anxiety. The whole movie is very well made, it kept me hooked till the end!