All Is Lost Reviews

• Oct 15, 2020

A survival film that stands out from the rest, but falls victim to what almost every survival movie does, which is (and spoiler) leaving you wondering if they really died or not

• Sep 21, 2020

Robert Redford is an incredible actor and without saying but a handful of words throughout the movie, he moves you in a way that only he can. Great movie!

• Aug 28, 2020

A survival film that stands out from the rest, but eventually falls into the same out as every other survival film. Always leaving us wondering if they died or survived, which isn’t the point of these movies.

• Aug 16, 2020

Engaging and suspenseful, told almost entirely visually; the relative absence of dialogue allows the audience to more easily project their own thoughts and reactions onto Redford's nameless protagonist, and the results are doubtlessly solid. Redford himself gives a well-balanced portrayal of the relative mute, allowing the series of misfortunes that befall him to reflect in his expressions, mannerisms, and countenance, like a gradually deflating balloon. While some may think that a more morbid ending could have been suitable, I don't believe that All is Lost is quite introspective enough to really pull it off. One of the most clear parallels in terms of filmmaking that seems immediately evident is Arctic (2018), a virtual clone of this film in terms of both general narrative, lack of establishing backstory, and a shared dedication to sparse dialogue, simply adjusting the setting from sea to tundra. (4/5)

• Aug 12, 2020

Overall I enjoyed the acting and it was shot really well. The story itself is just bad. There are so many true stories of survival at sea to pick from, why write a bad one? Too many, "why would he do that?" moments and while I try not to judge by age, Robert Redford makes the character seem very elderly and in over his head. Again, great acting, great shots, high intensity storms but the story... yikes.

• Jul 27, 2020

As experienced sailors, we were disappointed in the realness of the scenes and silly lack of modern life-saving devices sailors have onboard. By law, we all carry EPIRBs, satellite emergency position beacons. And PLBs Personal Location Beacons. We were also kinda surprised MAERSK would have one of their ships been seen to sail past, especially that close. Robert Redford performance was superb. Jack and Jude https://jackandjude.com/voyage-of-a-lifetime/

• Jun 28, 2020

While Redford is quietly impressive in terms of acting, the film is not. Landlubber though I be, the number of lethal errors and obviously unlikely happenings make this more of a fantasy than a drama. In reality, his character would have drowned long before the start of the film by his own incompetence. I suspect any viewers with the smallest experience of sailing will find this film risible. Could Redford or Chandor not find anyone to advise them?

• Jun 27, 2020

A man's struggle at sea begins with some very bad luck. His resourcefulness brings great hope, but adversity multiplies and thoughts of survival seem fanciful. Mother Nature can be a b*tch! Moments of certain rescues elude him (Maersk, I hate you! Have you no officer on deck? ... any crew on watch?). One final "All in" effort to be rescued ... He lives or dies here ... now ... one or the other ... no middle ground. He's delivered the knock-out punch to live ... or the punch misses and he hits the mat. Survive? Die? Watch the movie and you will care. You will feel his hopes and anguish ... and desperation ... mortality realized, despised, and accepted. R.I.P., Tahoe, Tenacious and Orion. The ocean welcomed your sacrifice to remind man of his frailty and mortality.

• Jun 07, 2020

Redford delivers a heartbreaking performance in one of the year's most silently riveting films.

• Jun 03, 2020

"All is Lost (2013) with Robert Redford" is possibly the most lethally stupid movie, I have ever seen! Maybe the movies (Bear) or (Slipstream with Anthony Hopkins), could be worse.