An American in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American in Paris Reviews

½ March 29, 2017
Charming despite its flaws
February 28, 2017
With such disappointments as "The Broadway Melody" and "The Great Ziegfeld," it was about time the Academy awarded a worthy musical.
½ February 19, 2017
Some plot points certainly felt troublesome and the ending is abrupt, but other than that, An American in Paris is a fantastic film. Gene Kelly is so charismatic and likable in his role and Leslie Caron is quite endearing. The film is very romantic and exceedingly charming in almost every scene with a nice dose of excellent humor, but the highlights are its technical aspects - the costumes are some of the best ever put on film, the choreography is amazing, the dancing is phenomenal to behold, some songs are very catchy and the film is beautifully shot and such a great feast for the eyes. Visually dazzling and even artistic, it is definitely one of my favorite musicals.
½ February 11, 2017
'S Wonderful! Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron are lovely together. The Gershwin tunes are beautiful. My favorite is "Love Is Here To Stay". I do think that the 17 minute ballet finale sequence, as unique and colorful as it is, was a bit much though. It could have ended stronger if that had been cut down a little. (First and only full viewing - 8/31/2010)
January 20, 2017
Do I hate Paris? Yes, and I never wish to return, once was more than enough. Let's just say you know your vacation won't be too good when it starts off with your taxi driver leaving you behind, while the rest of your family was already in the car. Nevertheless, I love this film. This is one of the most delightful musicals ever made. Is the general plot thin and worn out? Of course! But that's where Gene Kelly and the Gershwin songs come in! Wait a minute, this film combines one of the 20th century's best actor, dancer and singer while all set to the music of people where if you don't like it, you're either an idiot, incredibly cynical or loathe musicals? You're right! Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron breathe new life into the boy meets girl genre. Incredible music and dancing abound. And to top it all off, a 20 minute dance sequence to close it all off. Who could ask for anything more?
½ January 7, 2017
Wow! This movie was a big time musical. Some of the longest and most elaborate dance scenes Ive ever seen-altho well done, not my favorite thing to watch on a movie. There was also singing, many elaborate costume changes, and some very creative elements-like the daydreamed concert and the use of sets and still life actors in the background. Gene Kelly was definitely shining in this movie with talent and charm. That being said of a movie filled with a spectacular different dances and showmanship, this movie had little substance, character, or plot and was very predictable. I thought it would've been more interesting had he chose the rich older lady lol. Anyways not the worst way to spend a few hours, just classic old movie fun set in beautiful Paris.
½ December 22, 2016
An American in Paris is an arresting, vivid musical that's lack of substance and story is compensated by its undeniably style and charm. It is a stunning showcase for the splendor and spectacle of an old Hollywood studio, bursting with marvelous musical numbers, vibrant color and delightful energy. The vintage Paris backdrops are quaint and beautiful, including the smoky, bustling Jazz café and the romantic river walk. The costumes are colorful and minimalist, especially the black and white costumes at the New Year's party. And to add to the splendor of it all, the leads have charisma and easy chemistry. Gene Kelly is magnetic, especially when he sings and dances, and his lover is shy, yet stunning.

Beyond the vibrant visuals and appealing performances, the captivating dance scenes and classic Gershwin musical numbers are the sweetest moments in the film. The ballet scene at the beginning where Lisa poses in different dresses and colored sets, the amazing scene with Gene Kelly sings to all the French children in English and the extravagant mass dance sequence at the end that encompasses like 10 different sets and 200 dancers. It's all incredible.

It isn't perfect, though. The film is really light. The narrative is simple and harmless, focused on a struggling artist caught between two women and finally ending up with the one he loves (the fact that he and his acquaintance love the same woman is an interesting dynamic, though). The characters are very likable, but don't have much depth. The story doesn't have any weight or significance, it's just really fun. If you're looking for a film with a human story and intriguing ideas, this isn't it. An American in Paris is an old-fashioned musical designed to do little, but charm and entertain.
October 16, 2016
The musical numbers dragged and were sometimes unnecessary.
July 9, 2016
Vincente Minnelli's direction adds an adult touch to this groundbreaking MGM musical, one of the best ever produced; colorful production numbers include "Our Love Is Here to Stay," danced by Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron (in her film debut); Kelly's requisite "kids" number to "I Got Rhythm," and - of course - the twenty-minute balletic finale. Oscar winner for Best Picture and Screenplay, among others.
June 3, 2016
It's such a pleasure to see an actor have so much fun onscreen. Outrageously charming and supremely talented, one cannot help but admire the charisma and mastery Gene Kelly brings to the screen. You simply cannot take your eyes off the moments of artistic flourish, and there are many to behold. What a delightful movie!
April 15, 2016
This film is beloved by many, but it has yet to captivate me in spite of many viewings. The whole setup seems calculated, featuring a sort of non-plot cobbled together by Alan Jay Lerner. An American in Paris who is a struggling young artist has a wealthy patroness who wants more. His piano playing buddy Oscar Levant, whose charms have always escaped me, is on hand to crack wise. And then there is la petite gamine Leslie Caron, who may not be quite as charming as she thinks, along with a host of other colorful French characters. The Gershwin music is very American, so there's that. But there are so. . . many. . .dances. . . . The famous ballet in the style of many artists has always struck me as a pretentious and elongated interruption. For those who love la dance, this is your film, but it remains a little too impressionistic for me.
March 20, 2016
Much better than I expected. Gene Kelly is one of the few actors in history that can pull off dancing in a film and still come across as cool. The film has some mildly funny moments and is quite untypical of musicals at the time; it has some catchy songs and some nice orginal set designs.
February 18, 2016
Worth it just to see those saturated 1950's color tones! The star power of Kelly, Caron and the classic Gershwin tunes make this a must for any film fan.
January 13, 2016
Dance scene at the end is amazing
August 1, 2015
Couldn't get through the first 20 minutes- every introduced themselves the exact same way (which got old after the second introduction). I had to turn it off after the one guy was describing his girl friend in the vaguest way possible, questioning to myself "Is there a point to this?" I hope if I ever get to see the stage adaptation that's recently been on Broadway, I hope it's much better
July 6, 2015
Beautiful film, loved it!
July 1, 2015
The spectacle outdoes the story by leaps and bounds.
½ June 14, 2015
I just couldn't get into this musical. The storyline and much of the acting is ordinary, and there is little charisma. The one redeeming feature is Gene Kelly. His acting, dancing, singing and charm steal the show. AAW. 1001
½ June 7, 2015
Brilliant Show.
Great Dancing Singing Acting, especially by the always effervescent Gene Kelly.
A bit plain on story, but it's all about the dance numbers and the classic songs.

If you want a great story with all the high flying fun of Kelly, see Singin In The Rain, but this is a close second..

4.5 out of 5 grinning strut walks