Amityville II: The Possession Reviews

• Jan 03, 2021

Embarassing movie, a turd compared to the first one. I can't believe there are idiots who think this garbage is the best in the series. Oh, well IMDB, Letterboxd, etc etc all disagree, so I guess that is the final word on the subject. Anyway, rather than use suggestion, like the original did, this terrible movie bathes everything in gore and sickening shocks. Child abuse, wife abuse, Incest and whatever else these amateur film makers can think of to throw at the audience, to make sure that no one goes away un-offended. This is pure exploitation at it's worse. Offensive and fictional, posing as true life to sell a piece of trash like this is unforgivable. No wonder Jack Magner left the movie industry shortly after this, and refuses to talk about it to this day. It's also full of plot holes and inconsistencies throughout - and the house for some reason blows up at the end, but it's only on fire on the outside and not on the inside. I guess there was a contractual clause for a big explosion at the end, like in Jaws I guess. And the blood has bubbles in it?!?!?!

• Oct 28, 2020

I thought this prequel was actually better than the 1st. Very good story and incredibly under rated. The strange sibling incest was more disturbing than the supernatural forces at work though.

• Oct 01, 2020

Don't believe the low IQ reviews about this movie. This movie is FAR better than The Amityville Horror. The real reason this movie is far superior to the first installment is because of its stellar Italian production crew. Damiano Damiani is a brilliant Italian director who made use of extremely creative shots, used an excellent cinematographer in Franco Di Giacomo, quick cut editing, and excellent set design, combined with solid acting and an excellent musical score to build tension and suspense. Combine all of this with absolutely top notch special effects for the time and you have a very decent film. Burt Young turns in an excellent performance as the abusive "do as I say not as I do" Father and Magner turns in a very fine performance as the possessed Sonny. All involved put in good if not excellent performances. While Tommy Lee Wallace gets all the credit here, it's really the excellent Dardano Sacchetti who turns takes the screenplay from OK to good. While the film deals with incest and while I could have did without it, many Italian directors used this theme in the 1970s and ‘80s as it was a problem in some parts of Europe and had real shock value. These films weren't just made for American audiences but also European ones. While there is nothing Oscar worthy about the film outside of its excellent special effects, the movie is quite good and employs competent and solid workmanship to make a scary and sometimes shocking horror movie. There is a lot of innovation here and some of the negative comments about this film are downright stupid. 4/5 stars

• Aug 02, 2020

The cinematography in this was bizarrely good for such a crappy movie. The single-shot panning over top of the guy's head during the initial possession scene was absurdly good viewing material that became a glaring outlier when it turned out that nearly every scene for the remainder of the movie was radically inferior to that one. I expected more out of Burt in particular, but outside of a few scenes of the priest and some of the devious looks that Sonny gave before going full-on Exorcist makeup the acting was uniformly low-quality. They divided the screen time between the strangest, most desperate-seeming Exorcist ripoff and what could've ended up being a good family drama where the final scene was the massacre. They portrayed, just a few years after his crimes, a very demented man's excuse as to why he killed his family instead of making him the primary antagonist and implying mental health and drug abuse problems, which just felt dourly irresponsible. The insertion of the rape & incest subplots at the decision of the director who otherwise faithfully copied his source material left a bad taste too.

• Jun 17, 2020

Much scarier than Amityville Horror and is actually a prequel. The final act is a bit ashenhousen.

• Jan 29, 2020

There are actually two films meandering in this — one a second rate horror flick about a family in peril, and another that is a slight variation on the demon-possessed Exorcist theme.

• Oct 30, 2018

I love a sequel that not only ups the ante regarding the original film but decides to be as extreme as possible and really 'go for it'.  In this film theres a new family who move into Amityville. You know that any family that includes Burt Young and Rutanya Alda as members is going to be dysfunctional. And, by Christ, I mean VERY dysfunctional. Any film that deals with incest is going to be special. Theres also a domestic violence subplot which is just as shocking. Add to that some of the grossest special effects as the teenage son is possessed and transformed into an utter beast of a nightmarish character and you have a great, twisted and truly messed up (in a good way) sequel. I remember this having one of the most disturbing sleeves of any horror video in my local video stores which instantly made me want to investigate this further. There is also a scene involving a Sony Walkman which freaked me out so much that it made me question using mine for days after seeing this filth classic.  Don't miss this messed up gem of a movie.

• Oct 04, 2018

1.5/5. Amityville 2 has some solid gore and a couple of good sequences, but the story is boring and the characters suck.

• Sep 12, 2018

While riddled with forgivable flaws, this follow-up to the 1979 original film features enough frights and practical effects to conjure up an effective little possession story. Able to stand on it's own, this sequel remains engaging throughout and doesn't fall victim to the dullness of the first film.

• Mar 14, 2018

Vastly underrated, scary and easily the best of The Amityville movies.

Vastly underrated, scary and easily the best of The Amityville movies.