An Education - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Education Reviews

November 28, 2017
A nice trip back to the early sixties. It's a brilliant re-creation of the era and the cast is magnificent. It's based closely on a true story of a courtship. See it in particular for Carey Mulligan's delightful performance.
November 24, 2017
How could I have missed this 2009 movie? This film is really good and teaches a lesson every young mind should watch. Not only the girls, even the boys. I have always loved British films!
½ November 1, 2017
An Education is a film about a young girl who is a great student with plans on going to Oxford, but then she is swept off her feet by a much older man, which causes her to put her education on the back-burner. Carey Mulligan was delightful in this movie, because she is so charming and can pull off the innocence of youth despite her actual age. I was engaged by her story and truly felt for her, but the whole thing kind of creeped me out. I?m not sure if we?re supposed to be buying into the acceptability of Peter Sarsgaard dating someone who is clearly too young, like all the characters in the movie bought in, but I never connected with that aspect. From the beginning it all felt very predatory, and it only got worse as the film progressed. By later in the film it?s just straight up rape, and yet the tone of the movie seems to treat it lightly, like a romantic comedy. The story about Jenny?s struggle to find the value in education, which underlies everything that happens, is where I was most engaged. I liked that they were using this extreme thing that should be seen as wrong by everyone in order to tempt her away from the thing that everyone should see as right. And the fact that so many people in her life are duped with her takes away some of the sting. So there were elements that lifted An Education in my opinion and made it tolerable, even if the general thematic thrust of it turns my stomach.
October 29, 2017
The story isn't special despite some excellent film making.
½ August 27, 2017
Good, but slightly disappointing as I really expected to love this one. Something about that character just annoyed the living crap out of me, I found her smug and a little upstart, and quite honestly by the time the story inevitably went to hell, it took me that long to feel anything for her at all. (And I do generally like Carey Mulligan in films). Peter Sarsgaard's character is just a sleazy conman and the pair have zero chemistry.
While I can appreciate the idea of a young girl from a modest background who wants something more out of life than to get married and breed or have a dead end job in the town she was born in, this girl was really a little cow at times. So condescending and pretentious with her speaking in French etc. The only reason I eventually felt sorry for her was because I hated him so much more!
It is not by any means a bad film, it is very well made and some beautiful scenery in France and also the 60's outfits. Just something with me personally found this grating. I wish I had liked it more.

2017 - rewatched this as I wondered if it was just my mood at the time - it really does seem like a character I could relate to. Nope. Still not into it. I think I loathed him even more the second time around and I still found her insufferable.
June 4, 2017
A subtle film that goes through a lot about our education system, parenting beliefs and most especially, the courage to face the reality of what we dived in. Carey Mulligan brought the whole film together, and with a strong supporting cast, nothing can go wrong with this movie except the cliché ending. Indeed, at the end of the day, we can all say that experience is the best teacher around.
May 21, 2017
beautiful, sweet film evoking the early, pre-Beatles era.
½ May 4, 2017
Not Carey Mulligan's best. I prefer Far from the Madding Crowd over this one.
½ January 27, 2017
Carey Mulligan stars in the Oscar nominated film An Education. Mulligan is Jenny Mellor a 16-year-old woman who has a bright future ahead of her in 1960s England. She is a cellist, and a promising candidate for Oxford. One day a stranger David (Peter Sarsgaard) comes along offering her a place out of the rain and a ride home. The two begin courting each other despite the differences in age. Her dad (Alfred Molina) is dubious of the relationship and wants her to focus on school.

David instantly romances fulfills Jenny and fulfills all her wildest dreams of dancing, classical music and even a trip to Paris. With this new lifestyle however comes a challenge as she begins to question her work ethic and desires to go to school. Her parents and friends all wonder why she should even go anymore as she is now well off with David. She challenges even her teachers and the headmistress (Emma Thompson) as the to what it was all for if she can abandon it all in the drop of a hat. Only when David reveals who he really is, does she realize that an education is one of the most important aspects of life.

An Education starts off all too much as a traditional romance film that seems to have no turns and everything goes perfectly. Fortunately, the film takes a really good turn, and gives the film's title all the more meaning. Regardless of one's goals and aspirations, when things go wrong, an education is always something that somebody can fall back on, and this film helps demonstrate that. Carey Mulligan gives one of her best performances and certainly the best one I have seen her in to date. Her line where she chastises her parents for also being charmed by David and letting her give up on school was an amazing scene in the film. An Education isn't ground breaking and won't be long remembered, but it's a solid film with a good overall message.

-1.27.2017
January 14, 2017
Pro: beautiful cinematography, good acting
Con: I hate that she was underage and that he had another family,
½ November 12, 2016
Stylish and watchable coming of age drama.
October 12, 2016
It's cinematic perfection.
½ September 28, 2016
Has the heart at the right spot and comes with fine acting performances, especially by the great Molina and then-newcomer Mulligan but lacks a bit of punch. The plot burbles along without any major highlights until the final revelation. That's somewhat charming but also, sorry, a bit boring.
August 22, 2016
7.7/10
This was the movie that really brought Carey Mulligan to my attention, and although I barely saw it, she's been one of my favorite actresses since 2009. And so now that I've seen it, her performance was really good and presence on the screen really came through and elevated the film. Also the story was very nice and down to earth to what essentially means to work hard and prepare yourself, while also learning from your surroundings. Although it was sometimes frustrating to watch her characters make mistakes, it felt real and accurate to what everyone growing up would do.
~August 22, 2016~
August 10, 2016
Education is always important. Yeah sorry to be captain obvious on that one, but as important as it is you gotta have some fun too. Even if you're the top of your class all work and no play makes jack or jill a dull...you know the rest. An Education looks at this very subject. One of my favorite actresses Carey Mulligan breaks out here in this flick about love, heartbreak, fun and academia.
Jenny is an English girl who is the top of her schools class and is working to read English at Oxford University. She one day meets a charming youg man named David Goldman who seduces her with lavish expenses and trips. Very soon he ends up falling in love her as does she. All this goes on while she is facing mounting pressure from her parents particularly her father. As I had mentioned this coming of age film becomes one about love,heartbreak, fun, and academia.
This was Pretty Good I must say. it's a very relatable film in terms of wanting to have a fun or do something exciting even though you've spent most of your life trying to be the best student you can be. hell even girls falling for older men is relatable as well.
carey mulligan once again shows why she's one of my favorite actresses she plays the innocent but smart girl to a tee here. Jenny is grade A student and doesn't really know the other joys of life outside of her education. peter sarsgaard's English accent is pretty bad here in my opinion. however as far as the character itself he did a great job playing out this smooth talking man who seduces jenny in many ways. Alfred Molina was really solid here. He plays a father that ive heard about many times in my life. the one who is always pushing and pressuring their kid to be the most high class intelligent student out there and not taking the time to realize what her daughter really needs as a balance to that life he has bestowed apon here
Really exquisite writing here. good cinematography liked the way everything was shot here. nice music choices here. the directing is superb, it's a truly reflective drama that is done so well. the last 20 minutes took me by surprise.
An Education turns out to be a great flick for at the time breakout star Carey Mulligan. And shit look at where she is now.
½ August 7, 2016
A movie every teenage girls should watch. And a lovely Carey Mulligan.
June 19, 2016
good coming of age movie
March 26, 2016
I found this film extremely intriguing as I often wonder what path people would choose when faced with these decisions at such a young age. Choices that we make in our youth often come to hunt us in our old years, no matter what path we decided to take when the opportunity came.
March 20, 2016
but.... if he was't married, she would ruins her life, right? that's awfull
but good movie
January 11, 2016
120708: I'm torn about how to rate this movie. I'm sure it is very good. I struggled to watch it. I just didn')t care about the story or characters. It's very slow and offered me little. I can just imagine the many men who suffered through this, probably very meaningful, film. At least they had an excuse.