The Animatrix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Animatrix Reviews

½ November 25, 2016
it was ok. I can't see why everyone was raving about it so much.
August 27, 2016
The individual shorts are subjective, but as a whole, this is an beautiful and deep mythos in the world of The Matrix.
August 8, 2016
Better than the live-action films, The Animatrix is an entertaining animated anthology with each segment containing wonderful animation (especially in Final Flight of the Osiris which successfully retains the breathtaking photorealistic CGI from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within), the more action-y moments in the segments are as good as the action sequences in the live-action trilogy and benefits from excellent voice acting making this direct-to-video animated anthology damn good fun.
April 22, 2016
A well-made collection of nine short stories conceived as a companion piece to The Matrix Reloaded and exclusively for those acquainted with its universe, but the animation design is uneven from one story to another and they don't offer much besides what we already know.
April 13, 2016
Asombrosa, épica, aterradora, poderosa, inteligente, creativa y vivaz.

Exploración y explotación del concepto original de forma magistral, transformándose en un compendio de historias tan o más interesantes y sólidas, que la cinta original del 99.
½ March 15, 2016
Mi preferido es Program y Beyond.
½ February 18, 2016
Personalmente, pongo a este repertorio de cortos animados excelentemente, quizá sobre la primera Matrix, ya que es más placentero ver este concepto, extendiendosé por los 9 cortos que conforma este producto, en el que cualquiera sea tu preferido y que a su vez, se disfrutan más algunos apartados que no fueron perfeccionados en la primera.
Muy recomendable, incluso sin que te veas la primera de Matrix, te podría encantar.
Mi preferido es Matriculated de Peter Chung.
January 30, 2016
Couple good ones, couple bad ones, some good and bad animation.
½ December 6, 2015
I've never seen a matrix movie because all of them are rated R except for this movie and I have to tell you I hate anime I just hate it, even with a good story or plot it just ruins the movie for me but that's my opinion. You may love it but that's your opinion. And the characters in this movie don't talk loud enough, I can't hear them. Don't get the movie, just stupid.
November 3, 2015
84%
Saw this on 3/11/15
At times as intriguing as any of The Matrix films, but then again failing mostly due of the same reasons for the failure of other anthologies, unevenly plotted stories. The short films, Second Renaissance part 1 and 2 are the most intriguing and The Wachowski's have scripted well. But the film fails due to a poor opening story and a finishing story that lacks much of the punch and ambition.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Animatrix is solid sci-fi anime. It is like a cross between Heavy Metal, with its short stories and variety of visual styles, and Ghost in the Shell with its cybernetic futurism, man vs. machine vibe and themes. I rate this up as a fan of animation and think other anime fans will enjoy it as well. Those who liked the Matrix but are not really into animation should probably lower their expectations and take away a star, but will probably find at least some of the stories interesting.
½ September 30, 2015
The best thing about The Matrix franchise.
August 25, 2015
One of the best animated films that I've ever seen.
June 29, 2015
The most significant weakness of animation in comparison with live-action films is the inherent reality-detachment of animation, which requires the audience more time to "get familiar" with the characters and find some emotional links with those animated (aka. "not real") characters. Thus it is even more difficult for anthology animation to "absorb" the audience since each segment often has its own distinctive illustration style, which will bring "gaps" to the film, in the eyes of the audience, no matter how strong the common storyline is. This is exactly the problem with "The Animatrix", for its segments have varied quality, from the superbly stylishness of Shinichiro Watanabe (the legendary director of "Cowboy Bebop"), to the traditional "ukiyo-e" of Yutaka Minowa (similar to the style of his beloved animation "Ninja Scroll"), from the abstract art of Takeshi Koike to the "state-of-the-art" (by early 2000s standard, which means a little bit scrappy in comparison with the current technology - how things change in only 10 years!) 3D illustration of Andy Jones. The mismatch in term of illustration style is also apparent in term of storytelling, as Watanabe's (both of his parts!) and Maeda's sections are clearly superior than others' and closely reflect the philosophy and story of "The Matrix". But in overall, this is a very, very good companion piece to "The Matrix", as "The Matrix"'s world was expanded way farther with more detailed background stories and a clearer "modus operandi" that help the audience understand, and appreciate, even more the beauty of "The Matrix". Too bad the Wachowski "siblings" cannot have another good piece like this, maybe not anymore... (the last part by Aeon Flux's Peter Chung is the weakest, despite its close style to Aeon Flux, bizarrely enough).
½ June 23, 2015
The ideas in each chapter of these animated collection are flat out amazing. It's incredibly rare for anything so thoughtful to go mainstream. Of the dozen or so stories in here there's bound to be at least a couple of keep any viewer thinking afterwards.
½ June 1, 2015
I loved the concept and ideology of the movie, and especially the animations. It's mainly symbolic in so many ways. And there isn't much dialog because the movie expresses itself through the art. I had to watch the movie 2-3times to fully understand mostly of the meanings it showed through its art. Most of the explanation is mainly at the very beginning of the movie. The rest mostly relies on the art and music to get the feeling of it all. I liked it, it was confusing at first. (I'm probably stupid. xD ) but once you get the hang of it, you totally get deep feelings for its teachings.
May 23, 2015
Impressive visuals. Some stories were strong providing a deeper look into the mythos, whereas other stories felt unnecessary only incorporated to fill out the runtime.
½ May 17, 2015
A very well done collection of shorts that both act as sequels and prequels to The Matrix trilogy. Different styles of Animation and all by top level Anime directors make this a must have for the Matrix Collector.
May 1, 2015
The best part of the matrix franchise!