Antebellum Reviews

• 5d ago

It was a good and sadly, a scary movie that reflects not only the past but today's American racist underbelly, which is alive and well, resurrected in 2020. The acting was superb by the two leading women.

• Oct 31, 2020

20 minutes in, and I find I cannot do it. I cannot watch another torturous, brutal movie with terrorist white people torturing Black folks. Ugh!

• Oct 31, 2020

Characters were cliches and unbelievable. Jack Houston actually looked like Simon LeGree from Uncle Tom's Cabin. The nurturing black stay-at-home dad, the perfectly coiffed black pundit/businesswoman, and the cute well-behaved daughter. The modern white counterparts dripping out microaggressions and sarcasm. Great premise but delivery was too cliched and the characters were all stereotypes.

• Oct 27, 2020

This is a hard movie to watch as a black American. As difficult as watching Roots and all other movies having to do with slavery, but its ending twist leaves one to wonder (and maybe believe) if this is what many out there mean when they (and their leader) are shouting, "let's make America great again." I'll most likely never watch this movie again, but it does leave food for thought.

• Oct 20, 2020

This movie was kind of a hard thing to watch as a black american person but it's a really good movie. If you aren't aware of the true horrors of slavery and what it's really like being a black american person, you might miss some of the context of the plot.

• Oct 20, 2020

Janelle Monae delivers another great performance within this mind bending thriller. On paper I feel like this movie sounded great! I think overall it missed its mark. It has great potential and some great scenes but by the end feels flat. The thrills are well executed and story shifts brilliantly which is its strongest points. Sadly this could have been so much better, but overall an enjoyable and casual watch.

• Oct 19, 2020

There was never a climax to the movie. We was more than half way through by the time any action kicked in. I have no clue why it's in the horror genre! This is nothing about this movie that I liked. The ending was complete trash.

• Oct 18, 2020

Reviews do not do this movie justice. Definitely worth the watch.

Reviews do not do this movie justice. Definitely worth the watch.

• Oct 18, 2020

How does this get 28% on Rotten Tomatoes? Watch it. It’s good!

How does this get 28% on Rotten Tomatoes? Watch it. It’s good!

• Oct 18, 2020

The movie wasn't awful. Though it certainly was not the horror story that the previews made it out to be. I am relieved we didn't pay movie ticket prices for this.