Antiviral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Antiviral Reviews

½ August 29, 2017
Unfortunately, it's antiviral in the sense that this movie will never catch on. Added an extra half-star for smallish Malcolm McDowell part. Lots of coughing and hacking and a little bleeding. Not much else from David Cronenberg's son's first feature.
½ March 19, 2017
Caleb will have a golden globe in the future once they start giving him parts worthy of one . Movie just stretched on for too long tho
½ September 16, 2016
There are a lot of great and highly relevant ideas in Brandon Cronenberg's washed out, highly stylized debut. He owes a lot to his father in the subject matter, but his visual style is all his own. Deeply disturbing, it also doesn't feel like a stretch to think that we are just a step away from the culture depicted in Antiviral, a world where people pay good money to be injected with diseases collected from celebrities or eat mean cloned from their DNA. It's a solid idea, which carries the film. The actual execution, and especially plot, stumble occasionally, and the final moments push the idea beyond the limits of credibility. That hardly matters, as everything that comes before it dives right into our celebrity obsession highlighting just how disturbing it is in a way that even films that are critical of the cultural obsession have managed to do.
December 14, 2015
Muy interesante el Cronenberg Jr. :p
½ December 7, 2015
A savvy filmmaker still needs a decent script. Cronenberg has more talent in his little finger than a school full of trained hacks, but the story here? Meh, not so much. It could've used more gell time maybe (as the ideas are sound sci-fi, no doubt). I'll be looking for more from this guy in the future.
December 6, 2015
this was so disgusting
November 28, 2015
incredibly slow pacing. disgusting, which was intended.
October 5, 2015
David Cronenberg's kid does a pretty good job, especially considering it's his first feature. The world takes precedence over clarity of story, but so long as that's not the sort of thing that phases you, then I'd definitely recommend this dark satirical sci-fi.
Robert B.
September 27, 2015
Antiviral is not easy to characterize or rate. After the first half hour, I thought I would be rating it up. It begins more sci-fi than horror with a look into a concept world (a kind of dystopia that people living in consider normal). From there it becomes less about the ideas and more a typical corporate thriller. The plot falls off and does not hold attention. Still, it is an interesting film that can be recommended to both fans of sci-fi and art house, though be warned that it has a fair amount of non-violent / psychological horror.
July 3, 2015
This movie started out strange. About half way through I began to like the direction it was going. However, by the end of the movie it bece strange again. It was a very different perspective on human behavior and societies attraction to famous people. Even at times believable. By the end it just seemed to fizzle.
June 28, 2015
Sluggish and at times tedious, this tale of science, Big Pharma, Celebrity and greed offers fascinating food for thought. It just go much beyond and really explore.
½ June 20, 2015
One of the strangest movies I've seen in a while, and another sad commentary on our society - this time by Canadian filmmakers. Celebrities have become such a huge part of society that in order to feel closer to them, average people pay to be injected by viruses that the celebs had or may still have. Of course, it becomes big business, has a black market and company espionage. Caleb Landry Jones reminds me of Cillian Murphy in that his looks freak me out more than anything else.
½ June 12, 2015
David Cronenbergs heir is true to his father
April 25, 2015
A stylized, unsettling jab at celebrity obsession and the consequences that stem from it. Basically this man works for a clinic that sells celebrity strains of common colds, diseases, and afflictions to a hyper - obsessed public. Brandon Cronenberg, son of esteemed freakazoid David Cronenberg, directs so definitely watch if you're into hallucinogenic, bloody, uncomfortable weirdness.
Harlequin68
April 14, 2015
In "Antiviral," you must excuse Syd March(Caleb Landry Jones) for feeling ill today. He has injected a celebrity virus into himself, in order to get it past security at the clinic where he works, so he can sell it on the black market. Luckily for him, he is not the worker who gets caught smuggling. So, he gets promoted to pay a house call to Hannah Geist(Sarah Gadon) to collect her latest virus.

Admittedly, "Antiviral" does have a creepy atmosphere and a creepier Malcolm McDowell. But its story really does not add up to much. However, it does have one truly great idea. Which is that celebrity culture is in fact a very contagious and dangerous virus. After all, Bill Hicks did say that humanity is a virus with shoes.
April 2, 2015
Antiviral is an interesting first step for Brandon Cronenberg since there are a lot of comparisons than can be made in terms of subject matter to his father David's early work ranging from the Brood, Dead Ringers and the Fly, particularly the creepy fascination of the merging of everything organic and synthetic along with sketchy fascinations with the seedier side of normal behavior. In this case, Brandon has created a little tale of the nature of celebrity and the lengths some people go to to be closer to the stars they idolize, in this case purchasing the varying Hollywood viruses that are rampaging along Sunset Boulevard. When the lastest epidemic is discovered and accidently infects the star scientist Caleb Jones, we going down the prototypical rabbit hole to try and figure out a way to cure and monopolize on the discovery before Caleb becomes a commodity himself. The biggest difference between father and son really here is just hi def production feel and a lot of sterile environments that come into play otherwise seems to be an on the nose tribute to his dad. Average since it doesn't really add anything new but an interesting watch to see if the Cronenberg creepiness is still able to affect all these years later.
March 3, 2015
good enough to watch once. the premise is farfetched but a great setup. it's worth 70 minutes with of material at most, however.

maybe too much white. the first half of the movie I began wanting to squint.

I hate having to look at the protagonist throughout the film. he's kinda gross to look at.

beyond the premise I'd say there's not much to write home about. mediocre script, act, cinematography, plot. cool special effects (but who want expecting that).

it drags on too long. in the end who cares? who is who and who matters?
½ February 15, 2015
stvarno solidan debut cronenberga jr.
February 14, 2015
For David Cronenberg's son, you can tell the resemblance. Good creepy thriller
January 3, 2015
Unfettered capitalism, coroporatism, the worship of anti-intellectualism and the fetishization of celebrity's ultimate result brilliantly portrayed in this futuristic film. Caleb Jones is absolutely perfect as the protagonist working at a corporation selling celebrity viruses to allow fans to feel close to their favourite stars by having the same viruses that they do. Caleb Jones as Syd March has that ethereal beauty and paleness to pull of the part perfectly as does Sarah Gadon as Hannah Geist the main star on exclusive contract with the Lucas Clinic. I take this film as a caricature of what we are becoming and it's not pretty.