Anything Else - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anything Else Reviews

½ November 14, 2016
An underrated work from Woody Allen. C'est La Vie, C'est L'Amour.
November 13, 2016
Woody Allen plays a comedy writer who imparts his worldly wisdom to a young aspiring writer, Jason Biggs as Biggs is going through a relationship with an enigmatic Christina Ricci.
August 25, 2016
"- As you go through life, there will be no shortage of people who will tell you how to live. They'll have all the answers for you, what you should do, what you shouldn't do. Don't argue with them. You know, say "Yes, that's a brilliant, brilliant idea," and then do what you want. And whenever you're right, strive for originality. But if you have to steal, steal from the best. Oh, oh, and if you take very good care of your styptic pencil and dry it after every shave, it will last longer than most relationships that you're in."
July 20, 2016
Are u kidding me - this movie only got 2 stars. This movie is by far one of woody allen's best movies. It's better than both match point and night in Paris combined. It's one of the best written movies since goodfellas n raging bull era. Each character from Jason Biggs to Christina Ricci to Danny Devito and especially woody Allen gave one of his/her best performances ever.
Every time I watch this movie I truly appreciate what a true genius Woody Allen is.
½ May 23, 2016
Another unfairly maligned Woody Allen movie. It's charming, funny and has a delightful mix of characters. I wouldn't settle for anything else.
December 27, 2015
" As Blanche said: desire is the opposite of death, and I've desired you the very first moment I saw you"
Woody Allen as all time anytime favorite :)
December 1, 2015
Woody Allen and Jason Biggs star as Woody Allen in Woody Allen's run-of-the-mill, generic Woody Allen film.
½ July 27, 2015
I don't remember this at all. Just see I gave it 2 1/2 stars a while back. Apparently, it's one of Tarantino's favourite films!
½ July 9, 2015
It has everything an Woody Allen comedy needs: strong characters, a sense of humor, and a pessimistic philosophy lesson. Unfortunately, "Anything Else" wears thin and fails to live up to the director's past films.
June 13, 2015
I know I end up saying the exact same thing every time I watch a Woody Allen movie, but it still applies and I'm gonna say it again. The man makes me feel better about life, and I love him for that.
November 5, 2014
Aburridos dialogos no pude terminarla
½ September 28, 2014
Yet another Woody Allen film that I didn't care for. It's a sorry excuse for a comedy. (First and only viewing - 9/20/2014)
½ September 22, 2014
Review:
I really struggled to find this movie interesting or even funny. Watching Christina Ricci being a right bitch towards Jason Biggs becomes boring after a while and the movie just seemed to drag. All the way through the film, Jason Biggs is questioning his love for Ricci and the fact that there sexual relationship is none existent, doesn't help matters. His character is also a struggling comedian and his agent, Danny DeVito, is completely useless. Having Woody Allen as a mentor, also didn't help matters because his advice always leads him down the wrong path. He also tries to get help from his shrink but he just listens to all of the information without giving any advice. Basically Jason Biggs doesn't have anywhere to turn so he decides to move to Los Angeles after receiving a job through Woody Allen. It just seems like another Romantic Comedy from Woody Allen about a troubled relationship. I was hoping for a few laughs, but it wasn't that well written and it lacked entertainment. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
Jason Biggs, whose becomes famous through the American Pie franchise, acts the same in all of his movies and he seems to play the victim quite often. His performance in this movie wasn't that great but thats due to a poor storyline which is quite similar to other movies made by Woody Allen. The New York backdrop worked well in the movie, along with the gun scenes which were a break from the whole relationship concept, but I still expected a bit more entertainment.

Budget: $18million
Worldwide Gross: $13.5million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Woody Allen movies about a couple who are in a troubled relationship. 3/10
½ September 20, 2014
I think this is one of the weaker Allen film's I've seen. Not because of the acting (I think the actors were very good), but I felt like the story borrowed too many ideas from his earlier films and never really amounted to anything captivating or worth remembering. I wouldn't call it cringing.., just fairly bland.
August 12, 2014
I feel like it was rather daring of Woody Allen to cast Jason Biggs, who is of course best known for the American Pie movies, as the young Woody Allen in this film. And it nearly nearly comes off. I can almost believe in Biggs' character, but unfortunately I think the presence of Allen on screen with him spoils it, not because Allen isn't brilliant as usual, but it's a bit like seeing Leonard Nimoy in the new Star Trek films. It ruins the suspension of disbelief.
½ June 22, 2014
An uneven early 2000's comedy from Woody Allen. I feel the major problem with this film was that both Christina Ricci & Jason Biggs have little chemistry.

The dialogue after a while got very clunky & failed to have that flair & originality that Woody often offers his audiences. This was really just a chatty romance.

It has some good qualities but fails to grab me overall, I am a big Woody Allen film but this is one of his more forgettable films.
June 9, 2014
Woody Allen... Under rated movie in my opinion and may have went under a lot of peoples radar.
½ April 12, 2014
kind of annoying to watch...
½ March 20, 2014
Woody Allen makes yet another relationship comedy, one that has an average script (for Allen), and is lead by an uneven performance from Jason Biggs. I enjoyed Christina Ricci, and I thought the film was at it's best when Allen was on screen...but Biggs would be uncomfortable and awkward one scene, then mildly decent in the next, and then the whole film relies on the narration by Biggs which is stiff and emotionless throughout. I don't know if he was nervous to be working with Allen or what, but his performance is weak. I might've enjoyed this more with another lead actor in the part...as it stands it is an average Woody Allen comedy that lacks the spark of his earlier work.
March 1, 2014
Just love this movie, could re-watch many times more.