Arthur Newman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arthur Newman Reviews

November 10, 2016
This wasn't as bad as the rating indicates.
½ October 2, 2016
Two British acting pros show off great chemistry in this likable drama. B
½ April 3, 2016
its a sweet movie but has way to many slow points to carry any kind of momentum
Harlequin68
½ September 1, 2015
Wallace Avery(Colin Firth) is a middle-aged manager of a box store. He is divorced from Mary Alice(Kristin Lehman, of "Motive). Together they have a teenaged son, Grant(Sterling Beaumon). Wallace is also carrying on a non-passionate affair with Mina(Anne Heche). Together, that is not enough for him. So, he fakes his own death and takes up the nom-du-renaissance of Arthur Newman, trying to keep a low profile on his way to a career as a golf pro. However, that changes when he runs into Mike(Emily Blunt) who seems familiar.

"Arthur Newman" is a pleasant surprise, especially as it favors nuance over any kind of cringe factor in its character study of two truly dysfunctional, yet not hopeless, people. Some of that has to do with the movie's tone which honestly does not avoid the darkness in its premise. But most of it has to do with Colin Firth who is excellent in finding the humanity in such an otherwise lost character.
August 25, 2015
Really touched into how some people might feel and get to in their life we'll written and good to watch
June 1, 2015
Good acting, and Blunt and Firth work great together, although it is not a film I would really want to watch again.
January 4, 2015
A rather miscast Blunt and Firth in and otherwise dull bland insipid road movie. He is Arthur which is an ailias and she is Mike. Nothing realy happens all
December 13, 2014
Love the cast though!
September 30, 2014
Really enjoyed it. The cinematography was beautiful and the romance between the two characters is beautiful.
September 14, 2014
Cannot believe how two popular actors could waste their time accepting roles in such a below standard film. Very disappointing !
½ September 14, 2014
A well done character driven film I thought. A little bit fun a little bit sad.
½ September 6, 2014
Review:
I found this storyline to be weak and a bit silly. If your going to fake your own death, surely your going to change the way you look and try and keep undercover. Anyway, the director really didn't think the whole storyline through and the acting, from these 2 A-listers, wasn't that terrific. The way that Colin Firth's character thoroughly planned his own death to become a golf pro, ditching his son in the process, was a recipe for disaster right from the beginning and when Blunts character was added to the mix, it just made things worse. The love story was predictable and the ending was very sketchy. Basically the director left it up to the audience to make up there own mind about Firth's character returning to reality, which could have been written much better. Anyway, I did loose interest halfway through the movie and I struggled to keep my eyes open. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
Colin Firth's career really does have it's up and downs. After winning the Oscar for The King's Speech, which he did deserve, and starring in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, he hasn't really starred in any major roles. With the release of Before I Go To Sleep coming out soon, maybe this will bring him back to the limelight. Emily Blunt seems to act the same in all of her movies, but she has been cast in some big budget blockbusters. From The Devil Wears Prada to the Edge Of Tomorrow, I doubt that this low budget movie will damage her career. As the movie is based around these 2 characters, there isn't that much to say about the rest of the cast, but I was expecting something better from these 2 major stars.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $208,000 (Terrible!)

I recommend this movie to people who are into there dramas about a man faking his own death to work in a gold club. 3/10
August 2, 2014
This one went under the radar. But Colin Firth, & Emily Blunt are perfect!
July 10, 2014
1 Star for Colin Firth and 1 Star for Emily Blunt
Satisfying performances from the two but didn't get to like how the movie played, its like chasing and pursuing something but ends with a big question mark.

2 Stars!
June 30, 2014
We saw Arthur and Mike on the big screen and it was a very different experience to seeing it online. It was more complex and the road movie aspect much more interesting, with some wonderful scenery. It was humorous as well as intriguing, and how nice to see Colin Firth being all sexy again - there has been a bit of a drought! I really like Emily Blunt, and thought she gave the character quie a lot of depth - in fact, does a sister exist, or is she the one who is schizophrenic? I give it 4 stars!
June 18, 2014
Boring ass movie with a cute couple. Emily Blunt trying so hard to be eccentric even though she doesn't have to, which irritated me a little since I'm a fan of her natural self. Movie was alright, dull, predictable yet watchable, once only.
½ May 13, 2014
This was a bit slow, but Firth and Blunt make it worth a watch.
Bathsheba Monk
May 3, 2014
This got off to a slow start...painfully slow. If it ever picked up I don't know cause I bailed.
April 24, 2014
Not too good by the sound of things
March 26, 2014