Arthur Newman Reviews

• Apr 05, 2020

Two of my favorite British actors in an American road trip 'buddy' film. Did I mention British ? Firth's American accent is terrible - and he does 2 different ones ! He's posing as a golf pro and he can't even address the ball properly, let alone swing well. It's too bad because the story's not that bad. If you're making an American road trip 'buddy' movie, are your first thoughts, 'let's get Colin Firth and Emily Blunt' !?

• Feb 23, 2020

This was very slow. I tried to watch it a second time and it was still slow and boring. Nothing like able. About the characters.

• Dec 14, 2019

I got this film! I thought it was superb. Great chemistry and good acting. I recommend it as a very low key, on the run, on the road in shady motel america kind of movie.

• May 29, 2019

Two dramatically fine performances by two likeable actors who have screen chemistry. My only problem is, there was nothing really uplifting about anything this film offered. I like both Colin Firth and Emily Blunt, but liking the actors doesn't necessarily translate into a likeable story. Colin attempts to hit the 'reset' button on his life, only to realize that you can't really do that. At least this film didn't have the obvious 'discovery' moment when Colin's ex-wife or son track him down. And, it doesn't have the sweet rom-com type ending when Colin returns to his former life and is fully accepted by the family he left. The film tries to show some of how Colin's son and friend (Anne Heche) cope with his disappearance and presumed death. For that alone, there would likely be a considerable amount of anger present at his return. Most of the movie focusses on Colin's relationship with Emily Blunt's character, Charlotte, who took her sister's nickname, "Mike", because she's trying to create a whole new life for herself. As expected, there's a lot of lying and truth-telling and anger and make-up sex. It's a nice two hours, but don't expect to leave the story feeling uplifted.

• Jul 30, 2017

Arthur Newman's obviously trying to be a new man! I like this kind of films to watch occasionally. I am not talking about the story, but the type of comedy. Like two unusual characters go on a ride and each one set to rediscover themselves. This one was a bit more than that. It tells the story of a divorced man who is not happy with his life, so decides to fake his death and take up a new identity to live somewhere else. Then he meets a woman who is throwing up her life for nothing. Now these two join hands for an unexpected adventure to an unknown destination. Well, they head towards with an intention, but without the plan to accomplish in a way. Very fun, but not like loudly laughable or even with a little smile. You will get that while you watch it. Both the British actors played the American role, but still with the British accent. They were good, I liked their combo, as well as the characters. The film was enjoyable, but something says it's not all well. It's not the production or the screenplay, or even the directional inexperience. It could be the thematic which was like from pre 60s or 70s. I bet you will remember the title 'Sullivan's Travels' and other similar. Basically, it is not comparable with others, but feels familiar with how everything was developed. So it is not for everyone, but some people might think it is very good. I stand in-between, but I don't know you are one of those, so why not try it and decide yourself. 6/10

• Nov 10, 2016

This wasn't as bad as the rating indicates.

This wasn't as bad as the rating indicates.

• Oct 02, 2016

Two British acting pros show off great chemistry in this likable drama. B

Two British acting pros show off great chemistry in this likable drama. B

• Apr 03, 2016

its a sweet movie but has way to many slow points to carry any kind of momentum

its a sweet movie but has way to many slow points to carry any kind of momentum

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Sep 01, 2015

Wallace Avery(Colin Firth) is a middle-aged manager of a box store. He is divorced from Mary Alice(Kristin Lehman, of "Motive). Together they have a teenaged son, Grant(Sterling Beaumon). Wallace is also carrying on a non-passionate affair with Mina(Anne Heche). Together, that is not enough for him. So, he fakes his own death and takes up the nom-du-renaissance of Arthur Newman, trying to keep a low profile on his way to a career as a golf pro. However, that changes when he runs into Mike(Emily Blunt) who seems familiar. "Arthur Newman" is a pleasant surprise, especially as it favors nuance over any kind of cringe factor in its character study of two truly dysfunctional, yet not hopeless, people. Some of that has to do with the movie's tone which honestly does not avoid the darkness in its premise. But most of it has to do with Colin Firth who is excellent in finding the humanity in such an otherwise lost character.

• Jun 01, 2015

Good acting, and Blunt and Firth work great together, although it is not a film I would really want to watch again.