Ash Is Purest White Reviews

• Aug 27, 2019

Slow. Gritty. At times interesting. A character study without much of a plot. Poverty and grime are nearly constant in every aspect of this film which adds more weight to the fractured and dysfunctional relationship of the main couple. About half way into the movie I no longer cared if they got back together nor did I really care what happened to anyone in the film. By the end I was only interested in the settings of industrial and impoverished China cities. Momentary breaks with glimpses of the country's wilderness as trains passed through and a few moments in an settings of wealth provide the only moments of relief from the otherwise omnipresent feeling of oppression.

• Aug 11, 2019

Really terrible movie, painful to watch. There were at least two scenes showing one character trying to transfer from bed to wheelchair or wheelchair to another surface, and he was struggling. Other scenes were just strange and there weren't enough explanations. Watched with friends on dvd; wanted to leave after the first 1/2 hour but stayed till the end, and am very sorry I did.

• Aug 09, 2019

Although this Chinese film will most likely appeal to only a certain slice of cinephiles, I found it to be an exceptional tale. The movie is an epic saga tracing the life of Qiao (Tao Zhao) over a number of years and her relationship with the gangster Bin (Fan Liao). Zhao gives a bravura performance here of the complicated Qiao and Liao is also excellent as well.The film, written and directed by Zhangke Jin, is filled with unexpected twists and turns and I was engrossed throughout.

• Aug 04, 2019

I found "A touch of Sin" beautiful, the style, the story, the characters. That is why I am pretty shocked now, after finishing Zhangke Jia latest work. What was this all about? Insufferable, flat, boring, overlong. All these critics must have seen a different movie. Amazing trailer though: watch only that and you will be fine.

• Aug 03, 2019

What I got out of it was a miraculous transition from a hot and steady romance to a second half that made you question the validity of this hot and steady romance that introduced the story. It was a quick lesson on loss and how there is no preparation for it and how time flies. A good art imitates life film in which it fast forwards a version of life's romance and belonging for us that we can all agree and in one breath releasing one question, "what happened?"

• Jul 27, 2019

Seriously boring and terrible movie... The subtitle translations are all like made up and doesn't match with the actual spoken lines. This is typical OH LOOK ITS CHINESE IT MUST BE EXOTIC fan boys rating this crap up.

• Jul 15, 2019

jaquiese bitch face

jaquiese bitch face

• scipio africanus
    Jun 23, 2019

my wife an i both left the film disappointed. its a character study but not much of a gangster film. you did'nt really fear the main gangster, hell even when he is attached its not as if he does much of anything about it so the drama is zip and its all about this gal who is pretty street wise who is involved with this semi loser of a gangster and how it gets her nowhere. lame. i guess the critics love the shift in china culture that is really not all that amazing to our eyes but the ash from all that non burning change got in their eyes and made them think this was something better than it was. IT WAS BORING

• Jun 15, 2019

Stinker. Poor story development, wooden, forced acting, emotionless leading lady. I got so bored I created a Rotten Tomatoes account during the movie just to make sure no one watches this crap and wastes their time as I did. Dafuq were the Cannes critics thinking.

• Apr 11, 2019

This movie is reasonably good but too many scenes of extended periods staring off in the distance or at the ground considering responses. The best part of this movie for mw was that is was well done and it is a glimpse into a part of Chinese society. Does everybody still smoke in China?