Assault on Precinct 13 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Assault on Precinct 13 Reviews

½ September 10, 2017
An isolated police precinct on the last night before it closes with a skeleton crew finds itself under siege and Ethan Hawke must lead his small group of a grizzled aging police officer Brian Dennehy, secretaries Drea de Matteo and Maria Bello, and some assorted criminals in lock-up, the main one being master criminal Laurence Fishburne, who's prison transport bus had to make an unexpected pitstop. It's a great set up and John Carpenter's original film is a true classic. Carpenter's film is a perfectly executed "siege film." That original film is worthy of a remake and I do commend sequels that dare to stray from their source material, but this one strayed too far. It has the same set up, but the precinct comes under siege from form commandos and not faceless gang members, and goes even further astray when the plot drifts into double crosses and political conspiracies. The film's worst offense is that this remake forgot to be a siege film, which is what made the original so good. It seems like the characters are constantly leaving the building and the film even ends far far away the titular precinct. Despite the film's faults, Fishburne is great, as always, and Hawke is good in the lead (he actually makes a pretty good action here). I also love anything with Maria Bello. The action is decent and the film is slickly made, even if it didn't have the claustrophobic suspense that it should have.
½ August 19, 2017
About as bad a movie as I've ever seen. Practically unwatchable from the start. So poorly made that it might put you to sleep. (First and only viewing - 8/3/2017)
July 22, 2017
Of course, compaired to the original, it' not as good in any way, but it still deserves it's place in the remake world, believe me, there's been much worst. This movie gets mixed opinions, but I think that it's not too bad for a remake. Something that made Carpenter's original so good was the campy, low-budget and simplistic look to it. This one is more of a big budget action film, with a famous cast like Ethan Hawke, or Laurence Fishburne, which can be good too, if done right. Overall, it's entertaining enough to keep you watching and it's worth watching if you liked the original, cause, while not as good, isn't shitty either.
February 6, 2017
A tense and funny action packed remake with a lot to offer!
August 31, 2016
Kinda hard to not get bored with this one
½ July 2, 2016
You will not just recognize this film as a remake of John Carpenter's 1976 action classic; this unnecessary retread borrows from all over the place.
October 19, 2015
El director Jean Francois-Richet logra hacer un decente re-make de la película de 1976 de John Carpenter, pero al complicar a los personajes y las relaciones y al subir el presupuesto, la cinta queda con huecos argumentales y con un final anticlimático.
August 15, 2015
I was surprised how good this movie was
August 10, 2015
A worthy remake of the original that has enough grit and cheese to help everyone along.Good popcorn movie.
July 14, 2015
Still doesn't hold a candle to the original. But still, I don't hate it like I used to. It's a pretty decent action movie.
July 7, 2015
For
Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne... and some slick direction....
½ May 20, 2015
Not as memorable as the original, but a decent action film.
March 22, 2015
Remake of the 1976 classic doesn't have the grittiness or cohesion that the original has.
February 3, 2015
A fairly decent remake, but nothing like the original
January 24, 2015
Good film full circle. Obviously lots of action and gun-play (one of those films you will search on imfdb to be sure if you're a firearms enthusiast like myself).
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Havent seen the original so i can't compare but as standard action movie is very nice. Ethan and Laurence makes a great job.
½ December 31, 2014
Thrilling and action-packed, Assault on Precinct 13 is a well-crafted and smart remake of the John Carpenter classic. When a prison transport is diverted on New Year's Eve to a shutdown police station that's short-staffed, a group of corrupt cops lay siege to the building in order to kill a Detroit crime lord that was on the transport. Ethan Hawke, Laurence Fishburne, and Gabriel Byrne form a strong cast and give great performances. Additionally, the action scenes are incredibly well-shot, and bring a lot of intensity and energy to the film. Exciting and adrenaline filled, Assault on Precinct 13 is an explosive crime thriller.
½ December 1, 2014
A loose remake of the original, still as fun as the predecessor but lack on foundation. Some of the roles were reversed and the reason of the assault was somewhat strange but still worked. The fate of the character seemed too predictable and the twist was a little bit funny too. The cast was generally great for a low budget film, I enjoyed it nonetheless though not as shocking as the original film.
½ November 22, 2014
You're not in charge anymore.

A group of police officers preparing to close a jail get caught in a snow storm with some prisoners that have to stop there temporarily. A quite snowy night quickly turns violent when the jail becomes under siege by a group of trained killers trying to get one of the prisoners. Can the police and prisoners in the jail work together to stay alive?

"How many more people are you going to kill tonight?"
"As many as it takes."

Jean-Francois Richet, director of Mesrine Killer Instinct & Public Enemy #1, and the upcoming One Wild Moment and Blood Father, delivers Assault on Precinct 13. The storyline for this was fairly identical to the original but I thought the action and acting was far superior and I was more attached to the characters. The characters were very well delivered and the cast delivers excellent performances. The cast includes Ethan Hawke, Laurence Fishburne, Gabrielle Byrne, Maria Bello, Ja Rule, and John Leguizamo.

"You'd like to kill another cop today, wouldn't you?"
"Only you."

I actually never watched this film before because I wanted to watch the original first. I really liked this film and felt it had a Die Hard feel to it. I thought everyone in the film delivered perfect performances. Overall, this is a must see for action movie junkies and I would consider this a worthwhile addition to your DVD collection.

"I don't bang criminals. I fuck bad boys."

Grade: A-
November 16, 2014
The first Carpenter remake released in 05, the year of the Carpenter remakes. Amazingly this isn't a shot for shot remake but actually a reasonable attempt at something slightly different. Must give kudos to the script writer/s for trying a new angle with the plot to add a touch of originality.

Its pretty much the same type of film as before accept this time the cops and crooks holed up within Precinct 13 are against crooked cops who want one of the convicts inside dead. Nice twist.

You don't really expect that to be honest, I just expected the same old thing with a load of gang thugs but this adds a new dimension. The fact its a whole team of crooked cops led by the nasty Byrne is really good. Bryne merely stands around and sneers a lot ordering his men to do stuff, but his presence really boosts the bad guys, faceless no more.

The good guys are now of course a group of big names but the choices are OK. Hawke is the Sgt in charge of the station and Dennehy is the cliched fat old moustached vet cop, whilst Fishburne leads the bad guys with Leguizamo doing another good twitchy gun nut.

On one hand this is a fun film, plenty of decent action, pretty violent, good visuals and good performances from the main leads. On the other hand it does get silly in places, very predictable of course and feels like they are trying too hard. I did wonder if they were having a swearing competition throughout, how many times can you say f*ck!?, as if that will make the film better saying it a hundred times.

The main issue is the simple plot point of a small group of convicts and beat cops up against a crack team of elite cops. Not just dumbass thugs but fully suited special ops type guys, yet they can't seem to crack this band of misfits, all of them end up getting killed! so much for elite cops huh.

This is a fairly decent action romp I can't deny, stupid in places and with a slightly lame finale but its fun to watch. A slightly different beast to the original which is good but at the same time you lose the mystery and suspense of the original. The unknown lurking shadows in the bushes of the originals bad guys.

There is a lot of stuff which has been tossed in here to flesh the whole thing out a bit more. Trying to make the film feel more of a serious Hollywood action thriller but its all pointless and not required, the beginning sequence especially. Think of this as a venture into 'Die Hard 2' territory, snow included.