Asterix and the Vikings Reviews

• Jun 14, 2019

Because when I think of Asterix, I think teen romance! Look, I don't mind romance and a majority of Asterix movies released after the Big Fight fell into that trap but still, this barely feels like an Asterix movie. It doesn't help that Abba, whose personality is essentially "a poor man's Disney Princess" was a completely original character. And it seems to me that Asterix has less dialogue in comparison to Obelix and Justforkix. This came out in 2006 and by this time, what few 2D animated movies were still being made were wise enough to realize that the Disney formula just doesn't make sense anymore, even if Albert Uderzo was reluctant at the time to turn his and Goscinny's creations into Pixar characters. The script is also a bit too modern for this old-fashioned historical comedy. They have a training montage with the cheapest cover of Eye of the Tiger they could get the rights to and a quirky animal sidekick (also not in the original comic book) whose name is literally SMS. A shame this movie wasn't as good as it could have been because the animation is gorgeous, the movie is intermittently funny, the Gauls do remain faithful to their comic book counterparts and the dubbing is really well done. I know I expressed my frustrations in the past with the Gauls having American accents preferring the voices from Twelve Tasks and the XXL games (Olympic Games, included due to having the same developers and game engine) but here it's very easy to forget that this was done by French animators, not a big Hollywood animation studio, with the voices really fitting the characters and nary a frame of animation where the lip movement doesn't match up with the English script. You'd think the voice acting would be terrible, since more famous actors were involved here in another misguided attempt to boost Asterix's U.S. appeal but even though I know I'm hearing Paul Giamatti and Brad Garrett's voices, they really match with the designs. While the American dub of the Big Fight and the first Asterix movie back in 1967 are still the animated Asterix movies that really rubbed me the wrong way, Asterix and the Vikings still wasn't as good as it could have been in spite of the fact that effort really was put into it.

• Jan 10, 2019

La calidad de su dibujos es muy lograda a la de las viñetas muy fiel a sus diseños originales a la vez que la trama, un personaje que evoluciona desde el principio hasta el final con una historia de amor con la que se puede estar identificado y ver que el miedo no te da alas sino el amor.

• Sep 12, 2018

Not the best one, lacks that feeling, a little soul..

Not the best one, lacks that feeling, a little soul..

• Nov 23, 2017

Animation très bonne, histoire changée pas mal mais quand même qui tient bien et une partie d'envol qui me touche (c'est trop même). Le film est un peu court et il me semble que l'histoire aurait pu être encore plus étoffée. Un peu trop d'anglais dans le film, avec des chansons anglaises. Certains bouts du films semblaient un peu à côté dans la temporalité, manque de "timing". Le tout reste très bon et on rigole bien.

• Aug 22, 2016

They managed to transform one of the most original, witty and funny european comic characters in a bland, stereotyped, hollywood-like animated comedy for idiots.

• Jan 03, 2015

The first Asterix film made in 10 years, it really is a different beast to the older, classic ones. It's gotten a lot of slack for having some really different anachronistic jokes and such in it. It was a little predictable and weird, sure, but I still found it funny at least, so it comes recommended from me.

• May 03, 2014

I think this film can't keep up with the older adaptations. It's not bad though, but reading the comic book ("Asterix and the Normans") is much more satisfying.

• Jul 19, 2013

The Good: This movie has some really great animation moments and a good number of funny jokes new to the series. The voice acting on Obelix is really good, in particular. The rebelious young Viking daughter is pretty funny in how hard she can be to read. She's rebellious and awkward, but this creates some good comedy. The idiot son of the villain is humorously dull, as well. The Bad: Though the plot is lacking a bit, the main problems with the film stem from the inclusion of a new character named Justforkix. He is a desperate attempt to be the proto-typical new age kid and be "how Asterix got hip". He does "hip" handshakes, uses "modern lingo", uses his pet pigeon as a cell phone and dances to "Get Down On It" (which is really not that bad of a song. It's just not one that should be in an Asterix movie). Justforkix is not only annoying because he is a series of anachronisms wit zero justification (at least Disney's Genie was magical), but also because he is a spoiled brat who insists on being a peaceful guy, during the tumultuous first century A.D. and refuses to eat meat, despite food not being as plentiful back then. It also baffles me why he has to have all these references when his love interest girl also acts like a typical teenager as we know them today, but is relatively free of feeling out of place.

• Jun 25, 2013

Fun if you like the comics.

Fun if you like the comics.

• Jun 30, 2012

Summer movies with my son, 2012. This was a really enjoyable film. Finally (after about ten so-and-so animated Asterix films) the animation has caught up with Uderzo's wonderful drawings. The story was OK, with the added parts to the original storyline understandable when moving form comics to film. OK, so maybe the high score also has something to do with us having been to Foteviken's Viking Market today...