Attack the Block - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Attack the Block Reviews

½ November 20, 2017
Solid alien film where you would not expect one.
jamrcla
November 18, 2017
As good as it could of been, The aliens were different and it wasn't afraid to try something different by using London teens which people will love or hate.
August 31, 2017
****
Funny, exciting and surprisingly heartfelt, Joe Cornish's directorial debut is sci-fi comedy at its very best. With the help of Edgar Wright and his team, 'Attack the Block' is a blast.
August 15, 2017
Funny movie which is very tongue in cheek. All nonsense but plays on that effectively.
August 5, 2017
Cool concept that never becomes as compelling as it aims to be. But props to Joe Cornish for pulling this off.
½ July 29, 2017
An incredibly fun journey from start to finish, Attack the Block is a big coming out party for John Boyega, Jodie Whittaker, and director Joe Cornish. Thrilling, action packed, and great chemistry throughout.
July 19, 2017
4/5. Though a lot of the characters are very unlikeable, Attack the Block has laughs, thrills, and incredible alien designs. What more could you ask for out of an invasion film?
July 16, 2017
It's a shame that a movie so full of good actors has such terrible characterization. It's hard to be invested in a movie where 95% of the cast are psychopathic scumbags, and none of them actually change. Even Moses is basically just trying to save his own ass. I was cheering for the "good guys" to die the entire time, and only watched to the end because the person I was watching with wanted to.
April 28, 2017
One of my favourite films other than shaun of the dead
½ April 18, 2017
Fun, inventive and full of manic, infectious energy.
½ April 8, 2017
I had heard about this movie awhile ago, but took me a few years to finally see. I think I might have had expectations that were too high because of the positive reviews and the fact that the producers of Shaun Of The Dead were behind it. It's not a bad film by any means. It's shot well (by newcomer Joe Cornish) and the acting is fairly good especially considering most of the cast are teenagers.

The story had a few problems for me. First of all, I think they should have made it more comedic. For the most part, it's a fairly serious and straightforward film. Considering the main story is about teens fighting alien monsters, I feel like that situation is more than ripe for comedy.

All that aside, my absolute biggest complaint is that the teens are criminals and the film opens with them robbing a woman at knifepoint. So why on Earth would I root for these guys? Why do I care if any of them are killed by the aliens? The answer is that I didn't root for them or care about any deaths that happened. Maybe the writers think that fighting aliens was enough to redeem them of all their wrongdoings at the beginning of the film, but for me personally, that wasn't the case.

All in all, I didn't hate this film, but I think there is a little bit of overhype that tends to come with it. If I had found this on my own without any fanfare, perhaps I would have liked it more. However, due to the problems I had with the story, I doubt I would have given it more than 3 stars anyway.
½ April 7, 2017
This is an extremely entertaining film that felt in the style of Edgar Wright , this movie also kills kids off which was cool, very fun film.
March 23, 2017
Brilliant use of low-budget effects, and overall a very original and amusing premise. Isn't afraid to show the 'chavs' who defend their tower block as the ruthless ruffians they are, yet keeps them likable.
½ March 19, 2017
Fantastic movie. Great music, great pacing, great idea.
½ March 14, 2017
One of few movies that can blend genuine scares and suspense with laughs and likable characters.
January 28, 2017
Can't believe I didn't recognize badass John Boyega (Moses) in The Force Awakens. My bad, John Boyega.
December 28, 2016
Favorite movie so far and had been my favorite for the longest I've seen this movie about 5 times know and still doesn't gets old. I could write a hole paragraph on my favorite parts and why I like it so much. This needs a sequel.
½ December 10, 2016
I would have found this movie so much more amusing if it didn't use street lingo "fam" "blood" "bruv". I'm not even lying! Lol. Annoying, but entertaining to an extent.
November 19, 2016
I had a blast with this movie it is a nonstop fun and exciting movie. Blud!
October 30, 2016
It seems to be a very good idea for a movie, monsters in the hood, but for me the idea was kind of flat. The main problem being the main characters. It feels like they wanted to build these kids, especially the leader of the gang as a big anti-hero that we would root for in the end, but I never reached that level. He just seemed too smug and unlikable plus he never really did anything that really elevated him past the fact he was still guilty of these really serious crimes we saw earlier in the film. Maybe with stronger characters the movie would be less bothersome.