Attack the Block - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Attack the Block Reviews

½ December 10, 2016
I would have found this movie so much more amusing if it didn't use street lingo "fam" "blood" "bruv". I'm not even lying! Lol. Annoying, but entertaining to an extent.
November 19, 2016
I had a blast with this movie it is a nonstop fun and exciting movie. Blud!
October 30, 2016
It seems to be a very good idea for a movie, monsters in the hood, but for me the idea was kind of flat. The main problem being the main characters. It feels like they wanted to build these kids, especially the leader of the gang as a big anti-hero that we would root for in the end, but I never reached that level. He just seemed too smug and unlikable plus he never really did anything that really elevated him past the fact he was still guilty of these really serious crimes we saw earlier in the film. Maybe with stronger characters the movie would be less bothersome.
½ August 22, 2016
Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm clearly not the target audience here, I didn't find it all that funny nor did I find it scary, the characters weren't all that endearing but the monster design worked well and the action was good for this budget.
½ August 8, 2016
For all that it starts with the main characters mugging someone, this one is pretty much good, clean, old-school scifi fun.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
As good as it could of been, The aliens were different and it wasn't afraid to try something different by using London teens which people will love or hate.
½ July 4, 2016
It is made exceptionally well, with a beautifully cinematic opening shot, plenty of well filmed sequences and finished with a pretty epic ending. Joe Cornish does a good job of directing considering it is his debut feature, just not so sure about the script. For a horror/action comedy, the laughs are quite few. This is mainly down to the fact that the characters are not likeable at all, with the exception of Nick Frost and Luke Treadaway's characters. The horror in the film is actually quite shocking. In a good way because it is so unexpected. There is alot here for gorehounds to sink their teeth into and there are some scares to be had. There are various action sequences that are impressive and visually exciting.

Overall, worth a watch because of all the hype. If the characters were likeable, this could have been much better. Not a bad debut for Joe Cornish though. :)
July 3, 2016
one of my all time favorite movie movies... definitely recommend watching it!!
May 23, 2016
South London sci-fi on a budget. Attempts to do for sci-fi horror what Sean of the Dead did for zombie movies but not as funny.
May 17, 2016
Absolutely fantastic British movie. The end gives me goosebumps everytime... Moses Moses Moses!!!!

'Probs and Mayhem right?' Ha ha
May 17, 2016
great film, funny in places. Great plot, great cast.
May 7, 2016
Almost certainly the role that would later land John Boyega all 'dat Star Wars fame, 'Attack the Block' serves as a great demonstration of his acting prowess. Further, it also shows that British filmmaking is alive and well and that alien films still have a lot to offer if there's enough creativity involved.

'Attack the Block' is pretty unconventional tone-wise as it jumps between real thrills and tension and mainstream British comedy. Its premise and its cast of characters makes this feel like a match made in heaven as the aliens come after a group of young boys and so we feel their fear but also get to laugh at their mock-bravado.

There's definitely some social commentary going on too, but it's an aside rather than the film's main focus and certainly never takes away from the action. Speaking of the action- there's a fair bit of it (mostly running, mind you) and it looks great. The aliens are never over-shown which prevents the film from collapsing under the weight of ever-dating CGI.

I'm generally a fan of British humour of even comedy films in general, but I definitely had a few giggles here so I was pretty impressed in that regard too. I do have a few qualms with the film, however, primarily with regards to its plot. I won't go into specifics but I just felt that certain parts of the film were underdeveloped, possibly even a tad lazy (particularly nearer the end). That's a little unfortunate because, otherwise, I think 'Attack of the Block' would have been a real modern-day classic.

As it stands, it didn't quite make the cut but it's still a joyously original romp into the sci-fi genre and I think it deserves a sequel, eh?
½ May 4, 2016
If you can get over the whole "gangster life" act that those kids have, you will find an enjoyable and entertaining monster movie.
April 29, 2016
Joe Cornish's "Attack the Block" is a fast paced and absolutely funny film about a posse of London teens who protect their housing block from a mass of marauding aliens. John Boyega is brilliant as Moses, the leader of the pack; as too are the other young actors, including the lovable 'wannabe bad boy teens' Sammy Williams (Probs) and Michael Ajao (Mayhem). Be sure to watch it, especially if your sides can take so many bare laughs.
April 6, 2016
Attack the Block is a really fun film. It mixes scares and humor effortlessly and for its low budget, created a great invasion mood with some cool looking aliens!
½ April 2, 2016
While the movie suffers from awful comedy, 2 useless characters (the two kids) and a boring first 15 minutes, Attack the block offers excellent music, creative ideas with fireworks, amazing action featuring dog-like aliens and strong performances from John Boyega, Franz Drameh and Jodie Whittaker. Overall watch this movie, it's a good time.
½ March 29, 2016
Another gem from the British horror/sci-fi scene. This is one of the most fun action horror movies I've seen in a while.
½ March 27, 2016
"Attack The Block" by newcomer writer/director Joe Cornish is a very fine modern sci-fi movie, holding its own with some simple yet effective monsters, intense action, brevity, a good cast with a bunch of unknown kids in the epicenter and some convincing social commentary to top it all off.
March 25, 2016
Not many people will understand the serious overdose of British slang in this film but when the main characters turn from getto boys robbing innocent ladies to heroes of the earth stopping an alien invasion, it delivers extremely well.

B+