Attack the Block - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Attack the Block Reviews

April 28, 2017
One of my favourite films other than shaun of the dead
½ April 18, 2017
Fun, inventive and full of manic, infectious energy.
½ April 8, 2017
I had heard about this movie awhile ago, but took me a few years to finally see. I think I might have had expectations that were too high because of the positive reviews and the fact that the producers of Shaun Of The Dead were behind it. It's not a bad film by any means. It's shot well (by newcomer Joe Cornish) and the acting is fairly good especially considering most of the cast are teenagers.

The story had a few problems for me. First of all, I think they should have made it more comedic. For the most part, it's a fairly serious and straightforward film. Considering the main story is about teens fighting alien monsters, I feel like that situation is more than ripe for comedy.

All that aside, my absolute biggest complaint is that the teens are criminals and the film opens with them robbing a woman at knifepoint. So why on Earth would I root for these guys? Why do I care if any of them are killed by the aliens? The answer is that I didn't root for them or care about any deaths that happened. Maybe the writers think that fighting aliens was enough to redeem them of all their wrongdoings at the beginning of the film, but for me personally, that wasn't the case.

All in all, I didn't hate this film, but I think there is a little bit of overhype that tends to come with it. If I had found this on my own without any fanfare, perhaps I would have liked it more. However, due to the problems I had with the story, I doubt I would have given it more than 3 stars anyway.
½ April 7, 2017
This is an extremely entertaining film that felt in the style of Edgar Wright , this movie also kills kids off which was cool, very fun film.
March 23, 2017
Brilliant use of low-budget effects, and overall a very original and amusing premise. Isn't afraid to show the 'chavs' who defend their tower block as the ruthless ruffians they are, yet keeps them likable.
½ March 19, 2017
Fantastic movie. Great music, great pacing, great idea.
½ March 14, 2017
One of few movies that can blend genuine scares and suspense with laughs and likable characters.
January 28, 2017
Can't believe I didn't recognize badass John Boyega (Moses) in The Force Awakens. My bad, John Boyega.
December 28, 2016
Favorite movie so far and had been my favorite for the longest I've seen this movie about 5 times know and still doesn't gets old. I could write a hole paragraph on my favorite parts and why I like it so much. This needs a sequel.
½ December 10, 2016
I would have found this movie so much more amusing if it didn't use street lingo "fam" "blood" "bruv". I'm not even lying! Lol. Annoying, but entertaining to an extent.
November 19, 2016
I had a blast with this movie it is a nonstop fun and exciting movie. Blud!
October 30, 2016
It seems to be a very good idea for a movie, monsters in the hood, but for me the idea was kind of flat. The main problem being the main characters. It feels like they wanted to build these kids, especially the leader of the gang as a big anti-hero that we would root for in the end, but I never reached that level. He just seemed too smug and unlikable plus he never really did anything that really elevated him past the fact he was still guilty of these really serious crimes we saw earlier in the film. Maybe with stronger characters the movie would be less bothersome.
½ August 22, 2016
Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm clearly not the target audience here, I didn't find it all that funny nor did I find it scary, the characters weren't all that endearing but the monster design worked well and the action was good for this budget.
½ August 8, 2016
For all that it starts with the main characters mugging someone, this one is pretty much good, clean, old-school scifi fun.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
As good as it could of been, The aliens were different and it wasn't afraid to try something different by using London teens which people will love or hate.
½ July 4, 2016
It is made exceptionally well, with a beautifully cinematic opening shot, plenty of well filmed sequences and finished with a pretty epic ending. Joe Cornish does a good job of directing considering it is his debut feature, just not so sure about the script. For a horror/action comedy, the laughs are quite few. This is mainly down to the fact that the characters are not likeable at all, with the exception of Nick Frost and Luke Treadaway's characters. The horror in the film is actually quite shocking. In a good way because it is so unexpected. There is alot here for gorehounds to sink their teeth into and there are some scares to be had. There are various action sequences that are impressive and visually exciting.

Overall, worth a watch because of all the hype. If the characters were likeable, this could have been much better. Not a bad debut for Joe Cornish though. :)
July 3, 2016
one of my all time favorite movie movies... definitely recommend watching it!!
May 23, 2016
South London sci-fi on a budget. Attempts to do for sci-fi horror what Sean of the Dead did for zombie movies but not as funny.
May 17, 2016
Absolutely fantastic British movie. The end gives me goosebumps everytime... Moses Moses Moses!!!!

'Probs and Mayhem right?' Ha ha
May 17, 2016
great film, funny in places. Great plot, great cast.