Attack the Block - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Attack the Block Reviews

½ August 22, 2016
Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm clearly not the target audience here, I didn't find it all that funny nor did I find it scary, the characters weren't all that endearing but the monster design worked well and the action was good for this budget.
½ August 8, 2016
For all that it starts with the main characters mugging someone, this one is pretty much good, clean, old-school scifi fun.
July 30, 2016
As good as it could of been, The aliens were different and it wasn't afraid to try something different by using London teens which people will love or hate.
½ July 4, 2016
It is made exceptionally well, with a beautifully cinematic opening shot, plenty of well filmed sequences and finished with a pretty epic ending. Joe Cornish does a good job of directing considering it is his debut feature, just not so sure about the script. For a horror/action comedy, the laughs are quite few. This is mainly down to the fact that the characters are not likeable at all, with the exception of Nick Frost and Luke Treadaway's characters. The horror in the film is actually quite shocking. In a good way because it is so unexpected. There is alot here for gorehounds to sink their teeth into and there are some scares to be had. There are various action sequences that are impressive and visually exciting.

Overall, worth a watch because of all the hype. If the characters were likeable, this could have been much better. Not a bad debut for Joe Cornish though. :)
July 3, 2016
one of my all time favorite movie movies... definitely recommend watching it!!
May 23, 2016
South London sci-fi on a budget. Attempts to do for sci-fi horror what Sean of the Dead did for zombie movies but not as funny.
May 17, 2016
Absolutely fantastic British movie. The end gives me goosebumps everytime... Moses Moses Moses!!!!

'Probs and Mayhem right?' Ha ha
May 17, 2016
great film, funny in places. Great plot, great cast.
May 7, 2016
Almost certainly the role that would later land John Boyega all 'dat Star Wars fame, 'Attack the Block' serves as a great demonstration of his acting prowess. Further, it also shows that British filmmaking is alive and well and that alien films still have a lot to offer if there's enough creativity involved.

'Attack the Block' is pretty unconventional tone-wise as it jumps between real thrills and tension and mainstream British comedy. Its premise and its cast of characters makes this feel like a match made in heaven as the aliens come after a group of young boys and so we feel their fear but also get to laugh at their mock-bravado.

There's definitely some social commentary going on too, but it's an aside rather than the film's main focus and certainly never takes away from the action. Speaking of the action- there's a fair bit of it (mostly running, mind you) and it looks great. The aliens are never over-shown which prevents the film from collapsing under the weight of ever-dating CGI.

I'm generally a fan of British humour of even comedy films in general, but I definitely had a few giggles here so I was pretty impressed in that regard too. I do have a few qualms with the film, however, primarily with regards to its plot. I won't go into specifics but I just felt that certain parts of the film were underdeveloped, possibly even a tad lazy (particularly nearer the end). That's a little unfortunate because, otherwise, I think 'Attack of the Block' would have been a real modern-day classic.

As it stands, it didn't quite make the cut but it's still a joyously original romp into the sci-fi genre and I think it deserves a sequel, eh?
½ May 4, 2016
If you can get over the whole "gangster life" act that those kids have, you will find an enjoyable and entertaining monster movie.
April 29, 2016
Joe Cornish's "Attack the Block" is a fast paced and absolutely funny film about a posse of London teens who protect their housing block from a mass of marauding aliens. John Boyega is brilliant as Moses, the leader of the pack; as too are the other young actors, including the lovable 'wannabe bad boy teens' Sammy Williams (Probs) and Michael Ajao (Mayhem). Be sure to watch it, especially if your sides can take so many bare laughs.
April 6, 2016
Attack the Block is a really fun film. It mixes scares and humor effortlessly and for its low budget, created a great invasion mood with some cool looking aliens!
½ April 2, 2016
While the movie suffers from awful comedy, 2 useless characters (the two kids) and a boring first 15 minutes, Attack the block offers excellent music, creative ideas with fireworks, amazing action featuring dog-like aliens and strong performances from John Boyega, Franz Drameh and Jodie Whittaker. Overall watch this movie, it's a good time.
½ March 29, 2016
Another gem from the British horror/sci-fi scene. This is one of the most fun action horror movies I've seen in a while.
½ March 27, 2016
"Attack The Block" by newcomer writer/director Joe Cornish is a very fine modern sci-fi movie, holding its own with some simple yet effective monsters, intense action, brevity, a good cast with a bunch of unknown kids in the epicenter and some convincing social commentary to top it all off.
March 25, 2016
Not many people will understand the serious overdose of British slang in this film but when the main characters turn from getto boys robbing innocent ladies to heroes of the earth stopping an alien invasion, it delivers extremely well.

½ March 22, 2016
Thrilling and well done
March 20, 2016
Mixing comedy, horror, and action with very British themes, this movie delivers on all fronts by portraying an alien invasion being dealt with by common people instead of the government or military. A strong performance from Boyega and a strong soundtrack solidifies the film's cult status.
March 19, 2016
Attack The Block is directed and written by Joe Cornish, and it stars Jodie Whittaker, John Boyega, and Nick Frost in science fiction comedy-horror film about a teenager gang that come across an alien creature, so they killed it, and even more creatures come to Earth to kill them, and they are even bigger and more menacing. I remember watching this a few years ago, and loving it a lot, so when Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out and I watched that, I wanted to come back to this movie for the reasoning that John Boyega is in this movie. So after watching Attack the Block, it holds up really well and is a British classic to me. In the beginning, the gang already does something despicable which got me worried that I'm not going to like the characters as they are the main ones, but throughout the film, they were beginning to win me over as I'm starting to enjoy the characters. The way they talk threw me off at the beginning, but it didn't took me away from the film as the dialogue is really good and it honestly sounds proper. The creature design looks really good and creepy looking, and there is a great balance of humor and horror. The action is exciting to watch, and I really cared for the characters to survive. The score by Basement Jaxx and Steven Price is very catchy and always a delight to listen. Attack the Block is a fantastic movie that I'm glad that it has a cult following.
March 18, 2016
This movie is phenomenal and extremely underrated check it out it's on crackle but anyways there's enough action horror comedy to make this film go all the way it's so underrated it's got a great cast with Nick Frost